Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2790265)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso's fist

While I was enjoying Seb's win, I saw a replay of Alonso shaking his fist at Petrov. This action deeply intensifies my dislike for him. Seeing Alonso being consoled by his trainer (whom I also don't care for many reasons) was good on him.

Does anyone really think that Petrov should have let him through????? I thought Petrov did an amazing job holding Alonso at bay.....he was very solid to say the least. For Alonso to expect Petrov to move over makes me believe that he thinks he owns the track. Sorry Alonso, every dog has his day.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2790271)   #2
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is a great driver but he comes across as though he's entitled.

Not good sportsmanship. Ferrari blew his race and it was up to him to get by. At the end of the day he couldn't.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2790272)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
He made a bit of a fool of himself doing that to Petrov. Maybe when he's calmed down he'll apologise to him. Alonso just seems like a really emotional man.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2790276)   #4
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy's competitive and has a latin temper. He was alone in his car and had to deal with his frustration. He was not mad anymore 10 mins later in the post-race interview. There's not much there to ***** about here; let's congratulate the winner instead
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2790278)   #5
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unsportsmanlike at the time, but after he calmed down he praised Petrov's drive. So: poor form but no big deal. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2790281)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
He made a bit of a fool of himself doing that to Petrov. Maybe when he's calmed down he'll apologise to him. Alonso just seems like a really emotional man.
He does make it hard to like him as a man eventhough I love watching him drive and race. He did speak well after he had cooled off though. So I don't see the problem. Like you said Alonso is very emotional.

I think the problem is most people expect the drivers to behave like robots when they are actually human beings. Can anyone imagine how they themselves would react after they lost a world title having been held up for 40 laps but a Renault.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2790283)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Yeah, if he's gone on to praise Petrov's drive then good on him. We all lose our rag sometimes in the heat of the moment and then feel bad about it when the dust settles.

He's human.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2790287)   #8
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, I don't get to see post race interviews other than the top three guys. Regardless, it was up to Alonso to pass and he didn't. He should have been angry at himself at the time.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2790293)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh yeah, now we're going to forgive him because he's latin and has a "latin temper"... this is BS ! What else do wee need to know to udnerstand and realise about the true man he is ?
He's a great driver yes, but that doesn't add to his true character ! Latin temper has nothing to do with this... this is just legend.
There are no excuses for that, and all the things he's done in the past.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2790304)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who cares?

It's not like he shot the Pope or something
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2790314)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Who cares?

It's not like he shot the Pope or something
Yeah !

And he wasn't crowned champion !

Isn't life grand ?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2790316)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I can't say I was impressed, but I wasn't surprised - and he's not the first "top driver" I've seen over the years who seems to believe they have an automatic right to get past other drivers, even though the driver in front is legitimately defending their position.

It's inevitable that we'll see "unsportsmanlike behaviour" from time to time when emotions are so high. It doesn't justify it, but it is understandable.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2790326)   #13
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like he was just frustrated at the time, but no need for it. Petrov drove very well and was more than fair.

Excellent driver but let himself down at times with his attitude which does go towards people having a dislike for him.

No doubt he will win another championship before he retires.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2790352)   #14
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
F1 fans - over-reacting about everything since forever
Great sig and very appropriate.

Not good sportsmanship, but not terrible either. It's very understandable to be angry in the moment, considering the circumstances. I probably would have scrapped the car or gave myself a stroke after about 3 laps behind Petrov.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2790356)   #15
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
Great sig and very appropriate.

Not good sportsmanship, but not terrible either. It's very understandable to be angry in the moment, considering the circumstances. I probably would have scrapped the car or gave myself a stroke after about 3 laps behind Petrov.
Hehe, +1, glad I'm not the only one who noticed that!
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2790362)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Shoulda put the nose to Petrov into one of the braking zones and walled him. :P
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2790370)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The more I see of Alonso's temperament the more he reminds me of Senna.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2790371)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Shoulda put the nose to Petrov into one of the braking zones and walled him. :P
yes, because the best person to wrong and bin off is someone who is tight with putin
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2790375)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
yes, because the best person to wrong and bin off is someone who is tight with putin
Would be fun to watch!
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2790380)   #20
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although we can blame the team for a poor decision strategically, this fight served to remind us all that the race result is ultimately decided by the drivers on the track. Nobody else at Ferrari but Alonso could have overtaken Petrov today. And Petrov, perhaps just in the nick of time, performed incredibly well, not even flinching when Alonso made a scrappy move in vain.

The gesture was unsporting of Alonso but, as suggested by his reaction, Petrov knows it's not his fault.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2790383)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really poor form by a complete loser. Hot-headedness I understand after something like a crash, but after failing to get past that Renault?

Alonso's shown he is a ****** after years and years and he's just demonstrated this again.

I am delighted he lost.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2790388)   #22
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So you don't like him then?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2790404)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nah.

I was actually a fan of his until mid-2007 when he showed his character.

I was beginning to like him again until almost the mid-point of this season.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2790409)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd almost be dissapointed if he didn't show some emotion.

He's been on a good roll recently, and his worst result comes when it really mattered for him to get a good one. So I can entirely understand why he was feeling that way.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2790446)   #25
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even when praising Petrov he still said - "I tried to pass him once and he protected like it was the last lap, in the last race in the championship, fighting both for the championship, so he was very aggressive."

Not how I saw it. Alonso made one desperate move, got nowhere near Petrov and sailed off track.

Anyhoo. I don't like him. But I'm prepared to say his fist gestures were just the result of complete frustration and emotion. Yes there are wider issues with attitude etc, but hey, at least it keeps it exciting.

And, I'm not immune to these feelings. Because I freely admit to all and sundry at collapsing in hysterics and making my own 'wavy-fist' motion at the telly when I saw Alonso doing it. Accompanied by singing, 'bye, bye, byyyyyeeee, Fernando (you know you shoulda 'ad yer wheatabix)'. Hardly a sporting response at all.

But very good fun!

Ahhh...!