Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 19 Dec 2002, 20:01 (Ref:453705)   #1
peter_harrison
Rookie

peter_harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC - Race Date Brain Bypass ?

I've had sight of the provisional Classic Package dates for 2003.

I sincerely hope they are very provisional indeed, as this has to be one of the most ill thought out I've ever seen.

In one series there appears to be 4 of the 8 rounds over the last 6 week period of the season, with a 12 week gap inbetween. If ever there was evidence of a pecking order within the BARC events I think this is it.

They've also managed to cut them out of Snetterton, which must be an achievement.

Shocking, and will certainly impact grid numbers in series' where everyone else is doing their damndest to get them up.

I for one know of two drivers who will not be competing in a full season of BARC classic racing if more intelligence isn't used, and I don't claim to know many people..

Lets hope it's either a mistake, or just a very provisional misleading events list. Maybe the Clubmans, FFord, and/or Classic Tourer bunch will be able to do something.

One things for sure, it doesn't bode well for the BARC's view on maintaining club racing over track days and corporate hospitality.

Peter.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 10:47 (Ref:454101)   #2
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: BARC - Race Date Brain Bypass ?

I'll be racing in Group 1. When I first saw them, whilst I wasn't enamoured, and couldn't understand why we were going to Croix instead of Snetterton, they didn't strike me as being too bad.

Of course some are more irritated by them than others and I'm a bit more laid back about it I suppose.

However, from a Pre-66 Saloon perspective I can see the problem.

There is a real problem that with such a big gap mid season, people are likely to clear off and race elsewhere whilst we can't offer them anything.

Secondly, with the mad rush at the end of the year a number are very likely not to do all the rounds. Clearly a lot of effort and money has gone into increasing the grid sizes, and this would negate a lot of that.

Thirdly with the likely impact of these problems the championship sponsor the club landed may well pull out which would be a blow all round.

I've got every faith in Dale and the BARC recognising things could be better and doing what he can to improve the situation.

They're still provisional anyway, so no need to panic yet.

Cheers

Stacy
Old 20 Dec 2002, 12:05 (Ref:454143)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No Snetterton?

I know it's a trek and all, but the classic saloons round Snet is one of my favourite fixtures. It would be a great shame if space wasn't found for it.

And I'm just a paying punter.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 13:07 (Ref:454185)   #4
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i quite like the Grp 1 schedule - and the marshals have a fab time whenever they go to Croix....
Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:31 (Ref:454248)   #5
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
i quite like the Grp 1 schedule - and the marshals have a fab time whenever they go to Croix....
I know what you mean, but as I said I think the issue people have is with the less well supported series, especially in such a commercial environment - your race provider should be supporting you, not detracting from your work.

For what it's worth I understand BARC are talking so things look promising.

Stacy
Old 20 Dec 2002, 16:14 (Ref:454301)   #6
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
No Snetterton?

I know it's a trek and all, but the classic saloons round Snet is one of my favourite fixtures. It would be a great shame if space wasn't found for it.

And I'm just a paying punter.
It's not a trek for many I don't think, one of our members drove from Cornwall to Croft last year - that's a trek..

From a personal point of view I've often said my only gripe is in repeatedly going to the same venue - and this calendar doesn't do that. Consequently I'm fairly happy. Que Sera.

We go to Rockingham, and I've only ever done a track day there so that will be a new challenge.

As for Croix, I went there in '99 and while it's not the most exciting circuit at least I might get away with convincing the other half that it's a "holiday"... ;-)

I think this is a case of "One mans poison" by and large.

I'm also concious that despite the annoyance of some, the calendar hasn't actually been stated yet - when it does get finalised I'll post it here.

Stacy
Old 20 Dec 2002, 16:41 (Ref:454325)   #7
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, I sympathise with you entirely, we too in CT have a gap almost as big, I'll just have to find something else to do or spend the time repairing the car! However I am delighted to see the return of Mallory and Rockingham, but I do admit I was very suprised when I realised Snetterton was missing. Still as I found out last year we arent all going to get exactly what we want so we'll just have to wait for this years questionnaires........
Old 21 Dec 2002, 17:42 (Ref:454964)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marshalled at Croix last year.. thought it was a bit mickey mouse (apart from the main straight), but there seemed to be a great atmosphere and everyone enjoyed themselves.. just applied to do it again next July.. is that the BARC Classic date? presume it is..
Old 21 Dec 2002, 18:10 (Ref:454982)   #9
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Friel
I marshalled at Croix last year.. thought it was a bit mickey mouse (apart from the main straight), but there seemed to be a great atmosphere and everyone enjoyed themselves.. just applied to do it again next July.. is that the BARC Classic date? presume it is..
17th/18th It looks like.

It's a long way from being my favourite I have to say, with slow corner onto big long straight, even slower corner onto straight and slow corner.. But hey ho.

I seem to recall it's an old school track designed so that the learners can't get out of 3rd gear except on the straight where the gravel at the end is 10ft deep.. ;-)

Not exciting, but a new challenge for the Mazda none-the-less.

Stacy
Old 24 Dec 2002, 09:45 (Ref:456660)   #10
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I would agree with Peter's first impression of the rather poor schedule, for Classic Clubmans Croix was going to be our one double header and realy we didn't want that, a lot of people would not have gone and then thought "Oh well, not worth chasing the championship" So we've got Croix removed and Pembrey as our double header. Snetterton is back for us , Oulton too. Are the Classic Saloons going to Thruxton ?
The provisional dates will be up on the Classic Clubmans website hopefully over Christmas.
I presume one of your guys, Peter, is Geoff C, who's the other ?
Old 31 Dec 2002, 11:58 (Ref:460829)   #11
spnixon
Racer

spnixon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Group One Calendar was OK, though it would be better with a Snetterton round added sometime at the end of June.

Making Croix a double header was an obvious decision, we had the same at Croft last year to tempt people up there.

However I'm not sure I agree with the idea - it means that if you want to contest the championship, you HAVE to attend these rounds in particular. I'll be racing on a shoestring this year and probably won't make Croix so I've virtually given up and class D hopes already (not that I had any in the first place).
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:34 (Ref:461110)   #12
SCRIVVY
Rookie

SCRIVVY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spnixon
I thought the Group One Calendar was OK, though it would be better with a Snetterton round added sometime at the end of June.

Making Croix a double header was an obvious decision, we had the same at Croft last year to tempt people up there.

However I'm not sure I agree with the idea - it means that if you want to contest the championship, you HAVE to attend these rounds in particular. I'll be racing on a shoestring this year and probably won't make Croix so I've virtually given up and class D hopes already (not that I had any in the first place).

I agree with Peter,anyone looking for sucsess in the championship is now committed to spend a small fortune in travelling to France to gain points in two rounds.And this is a club who's desperatly trying to fill grids for it's survival. I cant wait to see the entry fee !!!
Scrivvy
Old 1 Jan 2003, 07:22 (Ref:461409)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum David and Happy New Year!
Old 1 Jan 2003, 16:40 (Ref:461573)   #14
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Croix nearer for many than Croft or Pembrey or that place in ANglesea ?
Old 1 Jan 2003, 17:12 (Ref:461586)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
Isn't Croix nearer for many than Croft or Pembrey or that place in ANglesea ?
Nearer, but add in the cost of a Channel crossing & it is, I would think, more expensive!
Old 3 Jan 2003, 14:05 (Ref:462756)   #16
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard that there are some big changes to the FIA calendar that are therefore going to filter down and effect the club calendars, don't ask me for any details and how this might effect BARC dates 'cos I just don't know. I was told that 750 m/c are going to have to re-plan a lot of their dates. ce la vie !