Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 May 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3644947)   #1
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2017 IndyCar silly-season

I know it's very early for a silly-season in IndyCar but most drivers told me in Indianapolis, they are starting talks about the future right after the Indy 500. So perhaps we could have a look on what's possible for 2017.

I expect some retirements in the near future as we have 7 drivers (Tagliani, Bell, Kanaan, Lazier, ServiÃ*, Montoya, Castroneves) with 40 years or older on the 500-grid and 3 of them are full-time. Don't know when we had last time 7 Indy 500 starter that old and the last time 3 full-season starter that old?

Penske
There is no reason for changing the drivers, so I expect Pagenaud, Castroneves, Montoya and Power to stay. Although, I think that Montoya and perhaps Castroneves as well could drive the last season in 2017. Perhaps Penske want to have a new American star. I am thinking about Newgarden for example. The last American driving for Penske was AJ Allmendinger in 2013 and the last one on a full-time ride was Sam Hornish jr. in 2007!

Ganassi
Dixon is on a long-term contract and he is doing pretty good. So no doubt about him. Chilton is doing good so far in his rookie season, so I expect him to stay as well. Kanaan is old and not that good as in the past, but he is a star in IndyCar. So perhaps one more season - but that could be his last. And Kimball - there is no rising curve shape from him since years. So why holding on him if there could be a better driver in his seat? There were some talks about Newgarden but it could be difficult to find the money - as well as it was with Karam. Perhaps the team is going down to 3 cars.

Schmidt Peterson
Hinchcliffe and Aleshin doing well, so I expect both to stay. I think Schmidt Peterson should expand to 3 cars, I don't know how likely that is. That could be a chance for Harvey or Urrutia.

Andretti
Hunter-Reay and Andretti are safe I think. Rossi is doing good and I expect the extension of the partnership with Herta. Munoz could be out after he is not performing in his promising form of the first year. Perhaps a place for Stoneman, Frijns or De Silvestro.

Rahal Letterman Lanigan
I think they are going to a single car for Rahal again. They should expand to 2 full-time cars and I would like to see Pigot in it.

Carpenter
Newgarden is pretty good, so if he is not going to a better team, I think he'll stay. If he is leaving Carpenter it could be JR Hildebrand back for a full-time ride. Or we'll see a European driver from GP2 or F1 as Nasr has a huge interest in joining IndyCar in the future and with the future of Sauber in F1 is in doubt - that could be a chance. I think Ed Carpenter could retire after this and last seasons are not that good than the years before.

Foyt
I expect at least one driver to leave the team. Hawksworth is not that good than expected. Sato could stay for another year. Perhaps Foyt is going down to a single car-entry. But it's also possible that there will be a second driver as Chaves, Munoz and Davison could be possible drivers.

Dale Coyne
Everything is open until 2 weeks before the season kick-off. But I expect Daly to stay. I think Dale Coyne could be a single car-entry for next season. If not, the second one could go to drivers like Maldonado, Gonzalez, Nasr, Chaves, Davison or even Stefan Wilson.

KVSH
I think it's possible we'll see Bourdais in his last season this year. He hasn't the fire he had before. Possible drivers: Brabham or Phinny.

Possible new entries:
Carlin is very strong rumoured to be in F1 and I think it could be with Nasr, Chilton, Jones or Stoneman. Perhaps Juncos is also joining IndyCar with Kaiser.

So that's the grid I expect:

Simon Pagenaud (Penske)
Hélio Castroneves (Penske)
Juan-Pablo Montoya (Penske)
Will Power (Penske)
Scott Dixon (Ganassi)
Tony Kanaan (Ganassi)
Max Chilton (Ganassi)
Josef Newgarden (Ganassi)
James Hinchcliffe (Schmidt Peterson)
Mikhail Aleshin (Schmidt Peterson)
Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti)
Alexander Rossi (Andretti/Herta)
Marco Andretti (Andretti)
Dean Stoneman (Andretti)
Graham Rahal (Rahal Letterman Lanigan)
JR Hildebrand (Carpenter)
Takuma Sato (Foyt)
Carlos Munoz (Foyt)
Conor Daly (Dale Coyne)
Gabby Chaves (Dale Coyne)
Matthew Brabham (KVSH/Murray)
Ed Jones (Carlin)
Kyle Kaiser (Juncos)
Old 31 May 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3645992)   #2
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I highly doubt you will see Kimball replaced, if he goes so too does the cars sponsor. It's the same case with Munoz i'd say too.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3646623)   #3
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess the question to ask is : Will Rossi want to run the full season in 2017 and how secure is his present funding and Contract ?

Where will the 100th Indy victory take him ?

I have been told BUT probaly wishfull thinking that more than 2 teams have made inquiries about his availability in DPI / P-2 already for 24 hours of Daytona and 12 hours of Sebring .
Old 2 Jun 2016, 20:51 (Ref:3646683)   #4
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
i guess the question to ask is : Will Rossi want to run the full season in 2017 and how secure is his present funding and Contract ?

Where will the 100th Indy victory take him ?

I have been told BUT probaly wishfull thinking that more than 2 teams have made inquiries about his availability in DPI / P-2 already for 24 hours of Daytona and 12 hours of Sebring .
Would be cool to see but it likely wouldn't interfere with a full time Indycar schedule, so I don't see any conflict there. He drove the Deltawing at Daytona a couple years ago.