Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 29 Aug 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3295862)   #1
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Jefferies.

I was watching a reivew of TT 2002 a couple of days ago and was reminded of how dominant the late David Jefferies was. Apparently, he did some circuit racing. I was unaware of this and wanted to know from those who followed British national bike racing in the late 90s and early 2000s what they thought of his exploits, what were his results like, how was he generally perceived in the paddock etc.

Yes, I could look at results from back then but they are just stats, they mask a whole lot of things.

Thanks.
Old 29 Aug 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3295920)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was from a family of racers, his uncle I think Nick won a TT in 93, and David was on Superbike from an early age, 92 or even earlier

Won a round of the BSB in about 92 I think, but after that though he was on good bikes never really shone

He roe WSB for Reve Kawsaki in 95 with JR, also rode a few GP's on a 500 in 94 or 93

From then on was in BSB, decent but not a winner, then came Superstock and he was in his element, he was a big lad, rather overweight but never bothered about it, and went on to be the quickest guy at the TT after McCallen retired really

He was not bothered so much about winning but loved setting the best laps and going over the speed records.

Won a few Superstock championships and hie best years were on the V&M bikes when they were finally allowed in TTf1 to have a 1000cc engine in a 750 frame, then used the R1 and finally on the TAS Suzuki where he was killed

One the same weekend Adrian Archibald in the same team won a very emotional Superbike race
Old 30 Aug 2013, 08:28 (Ref:3296051)   #3
Startline Al
Racer

England
Kent
Startline Al should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I worked in the team when he won a Superstock title with Page 3 riding R1's, if I can be of any help let me know.

Old 30 Aug 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3296070)   #4
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
He was from a family of racers, his uncle I think Nick won a TT in 93, and David was on Superbike from an early age, 92 or even earlier

Won a round of the BSB in about 92 I think, but after that though he was on good bikes never really shone

He roe WSB for Reve Kawsaki in 95 with JR, also rode a few GP's on a 500 in 94 or 93

From then on was in BSB, decent but not a winner, then came Superstock and he was in his element, he was a big lad, rather overweight but never bothered about it, and went on to be the quickest guy at the TT after McCallen retired really

He was not bothered so much about winning but loved setting the best laps and going over the speed records.

Won a few Superstock championships and hie best years were on the V&M bikes when they were finally allowed in TTf1 to have a 1000cc engine in a 750 frame, then used the R1 and finally on the TAS Suzuki where he was killed

One the same weekend Adrian Archibald in the same team won a very emotional Superbike race
Cheers mate. So what do we know about the 2003 accident?
Old 30 Aug 2013, 08:58 (Ref:3296072)   #5
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startline Al View Post
I worked in the team when he won a Superstock title with Page 3 riding R1's, if I can be of any help let me know.

Blimey, he looks very slim in that shot! Thanks for sharing.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3331261)   #6
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Cheers mate. So what do we know about the 2003 accident?
From what I remember, and could be wrong, it occurred at Crosby. Another rider suffered a blown engine, oil was on the road, no oil flag or no oil flag soon enough. Jefferies hit the oil, lost control, struck a light pole where riders often do around 160 MPH. The light pole fell on or near the track, the wires caused another rider to crash(Moodie?), injured but survived.

The IOMTT is one of the world's most dangerous races, around 200 riders have passed away racing there in the past 100+ years.

R.I.P. Big Dave

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 14 Apr 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3392511)   #7
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant really help much with the history but big DJ personality always came across larger than life I was over the moon with his TT dominance as a lot of pundits said he was to big to be fast. I loved thr slogan he carried on the windscreen of the bike "powered by pies" I carry the same slogan on my race car just to carry it on

RIP DJ
Old 28 Apr 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3399088)   #8
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJ also won the 1999 Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3422629)   #9
jamesfuller191
Rookie

jamesfuller191 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met DJ a few times, he was a very decent guy. He turned up one night on a bmw complete with topbox and nobody realized it was him until he took his lid off! He sat on my X7 for a laugh I can also remember seeing him on a 916. He made it look like a 125.
He even recognized me a few months later in the pitlane, made my day! I was gutted when I heard!
Old 24 Aug 2014, 00:04 (Ref:3446693)   #10
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

You are Statto of the Motorsport world. Its not that often I come on here these days ( site blocked at work ) whenever I do your full of great info

Im going to start a thread in the history section that's got your name all over it
Old 26 Aug 2014, 16:15 (Ref:3447800)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really fella, I only really know about bike racing and obscure stuff that doesn't interest people on here

If you are into sports car racing (LM in particular), V8 supercars and a few other things you will get on fine, everything else, I am not so sure there are enough folk to really develop a discussion much.