Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2825997)   #26
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All motorsport is somewhat artificial. When you think about it any purpose built racing car made within a specific set of rules sounds artificial.

Isn't it artificial to have a purpose built race track that goes nowhere? Maybe all motorsport should be on street circuits.

Then again with F1 being the pinnacle of motorsport seems right it should be the most artificial.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2826078)   #27
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson View Post
Personally, I really miss the days where after a season long battle, Ferrari and Mclaren would turn up at Suzuka having done 10 straight days of testing at their chosen venus.. Special qualifying engines fitted, the cars would go out and qualify just a few 10ths apart.

It was bloody brilliant!
Don't the cars qualify "just a few tenths apart" now? Maybe even closer, and more of them too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think I am about where you ate except I don't have your faith in Pirelli's ability to produce a lasting tyre.
Pirelli 'can' make an F1 tyre that would last for hundreds of kms. Is that what you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
All motorsport is somewhat artificial.
I think the phrase is: "Hit the nail on the head".
Old 5 Feb 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2826084)   #28
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Just to please very small but noisy lobby groups?
They are actually very large and noisy lobby groups. Sometimes called 'Governments'.

Most governments recognise that their number one challenge is to do something about climate change. There may be some debate as to how that is actually occurring, but there can be no denying that it is. There is also a limited amount of fossil fuels left, and the demand for them is getting higher.....
Old 5 Feb 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2826089)   #29
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
to me theyre making this more complicateed than it needs to be, why cant the button to activate kers be the same as the wing, push it at the start of the straight and both engage, depress the brake at the end of the straight and they both disengage....bit like a cruise control system really...
Old 5 Feb 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2826093)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
to me theyre making this more complicateed than it needs to be, why cant the button to activate kers be the same as the wing, push it at the start of the straight and both engage, depress the brake at the end of the straight and they both disengage....bit like a cruise control system really...
Maybe it's not such a good idea to supply an extra 80 bhp to the rear tyres at the same moment that you take away most of their grip?
Old 5 Feb 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2826100)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Pirelli 'can' make an F1 tyre that would last for hundreds of kms. Is that what you want?

That is exactly what I want, and personally I do not believe that Pirelli are capable of producing ssuch a tyre. (Not producing such tyre would also appear to be criminally wasteful in pusuing a green agenda! What is the carbon profile of 3 sets of race tyres per car per race as against 1 set.)
A few years ago you will recall cars ran whole GPs on the same tyres with no refeuling, they were able to pass one another and race closely.
cf Monza 1970, 1971 etc.
If the tyres were hard and produced few marbles then more of the race track would be available for racing on.

F1 has got itself into a weird position where motor racing is no longer a priority and all we have are ugly misshapen time trial machinery that is subject to all manner of strange and artificial regulation, ( 13" rims, narrow track cars, a whole meccano set bolted onto the nose of the car etc.) and is only capable of running on a billiard table smooth surfaces on especially built circuits.
How many of them could run a GP on the old Nurburgring circuit? Flugplatz anyone?

Currently we have more resources, money and talent involved in F1 than ever before, resulting in very bad and artificial motor racing.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2826104)   #32
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Maybe it's not such a good idea to supply an extra 80 bhp to the rear tyres at the same moment that you take away most of their grip?
That's actually a great idea, to be honest.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2826107)   #33
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That is exactly what I want, and personally I do not believe that Pirelli are capable of producing ssuch a tyre. (Not producing such tyre would also appear to be criminally wasteful in pusuing a green agenda! What is the carbon profile of 3 sets of race tyres per car per race as against 1 set.)
A few years ago you will recall cars ran whole GPs on the same tyres with no refeuling, they were able to pass one another and race closely.
cf Monza 1970, 1971 etc.
If the tyres were hard and produced few marbles then more of the race track would be available for racing on.

F1 has got itself into a weird position where motor racing is no longer a priority and all we have are ugly misshapen time trial machinery that is subject to all manner of strange and artificial regulation, ( 13" rims, narrow track cars, a whole meccano set bolted onto the nose of the car etc.) and is only capable of running on a billiard table smooth surfaces on especially built circuits.
How many of them could run a GP on the old Nurburgring circuit? Flugplatz anyone?

Currently we have more resources, money and talent involved in F1 than ever before, resulting in very bad and artificial motor racing.
You're spot-on. This year's F1 World [sic] Championship is in danger of degenerating into a complete farce. The FIA should open its eyes, see the elephant in the room, and get rid of wings, KERS restrictions and tyre-changing altogether.

Last edited by Morris Dancer; 5 Feb 2011 at 12:38.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2826116)   #34
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

cf Monza 1970, 1971 etc.

If Bridgestone and Michelin can make a tyre last a whole race distance, whilst at the same time competing against one another for grip. Then I'm sure that it isn't beyond the wit of Pirelli to produce a tyre that easily lasts a whole weekend with probably more up-to-date tyre technology.

I think that Pirelli meet the "green agenda" by agreeing not to allow thousands of kms of pre-season testing with an endless supply of tyres. Indeed, we heard one driver complaining that he hadn't got enough tyres!

I'm also sure that if F1 had the "old Nurburgring" on its schedule, the engineers of each team would come up with something within the rules to enable them to compete adequately. Raising the ride height would be a good start.

Probably no longer race there because of safety issues rather than technical issues, I would have thought.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2826137)   #35
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

cf Monza 1970, 1971 etc.

Superb post, I agree wholeheartedly.

Picking up on the tyre situation, I also feel that super-soft tyres harm the racing. As you say, the marbles produced by them make off-line conditions unbearable.

Personally, I also think that the year the FIA stipulated only that one set of tyres were to be used during the race was one of the most interesting seasons of recent years.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2826175)   #36
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
That's actually a great idea, to be honest.
And yet none of the teams appear to have thought of it. But you weren't being serious anyway, were you?
Old 5 Feb 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2826181)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Picking up on the tyre situation, I also feel that super-soft tyres harm the racing. As you say, the marbles produced by them make off-line conditions unbearable.
During the 2010 Canadian GP there were numerous references to marbles being off-line. Indeed, it was the only race of the year to have noticeable amounts of marbles off-line. There were also numerous references to suggest that the Canadian GP was also the best race of the season.

Quote:
Personally, I also think that the year the FIA stipulated only that one set of tyres were to be used during the race was one of the most interesting seasons of recent years.
hmmm. I think that it would have been more interesting if there had been the option to do an entire race on one set of tyres, rather than the compulsion to do an entire race on one set of tyres.

We must get back on topic. There is a tyre thread elsewhere.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2826188)   #38
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And yet none of the teams appear to have thought of it. But you weren't being serious anyway, were you?
I am being serious.

Ofcourse the teams wouldn't have considered it themselves as it's counterproductive to their performance.
The movable wing is there purely for entertainment purposes, so why not go the whole way and make KERS and the wing only operable at the same time?

That would be really entertaining.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2826190)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I am being serious.

Ofcourse the teams wouldn't have considered it themselves as it's counterproductive to their performance.
The movable wing is there purely for entertainment purposes, so why not go the whole way and make KERS and the wing only operable at the same time?

That would be really entertaining.
Surely the option of not pressing the button would be hard to resist? Better still would be the option of not bothering to fit a KERS to your car.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2826201)   #40
ASCII Man
Veteran

Better still would be to fit neither, and actually try to solve the real problems.
But I guess the brilliant minds of the overtaking working group can't think of anything better than superficial non-solutions.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2826205)   #41
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i hope when they bring in the new turbo engines they will let the drivers regulate boost, it worked really well with champccar back in the day, youd get a lot of overtaking, different people using boost at different time so strategies were different, that will make racing better
Old 5 Feb 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2826206)   #42
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Better still would be to fit neither, and actually try to solve the real problems.
Apparently we have to wait another couple of years for this to happen. Only a huge reduction in downforce will solve this, but then we'll have the worse problem of people moaning that F1 won't be fast enough if they take all that downforce away. Who'd want to be a member of the OWG?
Old 5 Feb 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2826210)   #43
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
i hope when they bring in the new turbo engines they will let the drivers regulate boost, it worked really well with champccar back in the day, youd get a lot of overtaking, different people using boost at different time so strategies were different, that will make racing better
It did seem to have an effect in Champcars, but they could pit and put in as much fuel as required.

2013 F1 will be a regulated fuel flow series, with a maximum fuel capacity limit.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2826280)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But I guess the brilliant minds of the overtaking working group can't think of anything better than superficial non-solutions.
I'm ready to agree with this.
Having a group from inside the sport actually try to resolve the problems hasn't worked particularly well and in the end they are probably far too close to the sport to see the wood for the trees.

the solutions they have come up with haven't worked well and I don't think the 2011 solutions will work either.
Something far more fundamental needs to be done and no one in the working group seem to be able to see that.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2826294)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
These people want to keep their wind tunnels, super computers and CFD equipment. They are not going to be Turkeys wanting to vote for Christmas.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2826300)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Some questions have been raised with regard to the operation of the rear wing flap.

For instance, can it it be used if you are within one second of a back marker car?

Also, can it be used during qualifying to allow team mates to slip-stream each other, in order that both drivers get a faster lap time?

Will it be that this technique becomes the norm?

How easy will it be to 'pull a fast one' on your team mate?
Old 5 Feb 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2826304)   #47
ascarracinguk
Veteran

i dont like this whole within 1 second and only allowed to use it on the straight, how on earth does a driver know if hes within 1 second? what happens if he uses it 1.1 seconds behind? a 10 second penalty??
Old 5 Feb 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2826307)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
i dont like this whole within 1 second and only allowed to use it on the straight, how on earth does a driver know if hes within 1 second? what happens if he uses it 1.1 seconds behind? a 10 second penalty??
Apparently he gets a light come on his steering wheel to inform him that he can use the wing flap. The FIA will measure the distance/time using markings on the track.

It occurred to me that you can buy road cars (Peugeot 3008 is an example) that tell you when you are within a certain distance/time of/to the car in front. Is someone missing a trick here?
Old 5 Feb 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2826315)   #49
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently he gets a light come on his steering wheel to inform him that he can use the wing flap. The FIA will measure the distance/time using markings on the track.

It occurred to me that you can buy road cars (Peugeot 3008 is an example) that tell you when you are within a certain distance/time of/to the car in front. Is someone missing a trick here?
I thought they were going to use the GPS systems the cars have? Makes sense now they display live gap information to use that.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2826319)   #50
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
I thought they were going to use the GPS systems the cars have? Makes sense now they display live gap information to use that.
That's correct I think. I think that I am referring to the visual aid to help people watching it on TV.

Autosport.

"To help Formula 1 fans and television commentators understand the implementation of the rules better, lines will be painted on the track to mark out the overtaking and timing zone.

A single line on the straight will show where the overtaking zone starts, while two lines will be painted at the preceding corner to indicate the one-second time difference distance. This latter line will also serve as a visual back up for the FIA should the official timing transponders fail at any point."