Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jun 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2898952)   #26
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We did not get searched at TR either but had purchased beer in cans and kegs and wine in barrels so no problem, however others on the campsite got cases taken away.
The circuit was so much better then before with less of the rubbish lying around and very little broken glass, an improvement in my opinion.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2898963)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We weren't checked at any time during the week......
Old 14 Jun 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2898985)   #28
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was talking to a lad at work today, who was camping on Bleu Nord and the first he heard about the ban was when I told him about this morning !!!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2899233)   #29
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We had no problem - although we do bring our beer in 11 gallon kegs so maybe the ban didnt apply to those
Old 15 Jun 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2899386)   #30
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would only ever be a ploy to get us to pay in-circuit prices for beer.

Remember, The love of money is the root of all evil
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2899413)   #31
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've been told by someone there this year, the behaviour, of the English fans in particular, was the worst they've ever seen. Fights, Vandalism and even an attempted assault on one of the promotional girls.
The last time I was there they dragged a local municipal worker out of his truck and took it for joy rides.
Perhaps a booze ban would therefore be a good thing as it might keep these larger louts at home so the real enthusiasts wont have this wonderful event spoiled as they've spoiled so many international sporting events.

Last edited by inpitlane; 15 Jun 2011 at 12:36.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2899468)   #32
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
From what I've been told by someone there this year, the behaviour, of the English fans in particular, was the worst they've ever seen. Fights, Vandalism and even an attempted assault on one of the promotional girls.
The last time I was there they dragged a local municipal worker out of his truck and took it for joy rides.
Perhaps a booze ban would therefore be a good thing as it might keep these larger louts at home so the real enthusiasts wont have this wonderful event spoiled as they've spoiled so many international sporting events.
Sorry but I have been going since 1983 and I have never seen anything even approaching the sort of behaviour you mention
Old 15 Jun 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2899501)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, neither saw nor heard anything like that......
Old 15 Jun 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2899502)   #34
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I don't think alcohol is the main reason for this kind of behaviour. 99% of the people drinking don't get crazy like this. The morons acting this way surely have a few screws loose in their head and should be given an imprisonment followed by a live-long ban from the 24 hours, or whatever event they choose to attend and disturb.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2899576)   #35
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bottles were banned on Blue Nord - but despite being told i couldn't take the two crates in that I had just bought for the weekend they guy on the gate said it was ok as long as i didn't leave them behind at the end!
The bottle ban certainly didn't work as there were loads of pyramids and even a beer bottle stig replica complete with crash helmet (good work boys).
I have to say the misbehavior of some English and dutch guys on Sunday night has made me question whether I will camp (certainly in BN) on Sunday night next year.
To be honest this wasn't much worse than on Sunday last year in Houx though...
Old 15 Jun 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2899581)   #36
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
Bottles were banned on Blue Nord - but despite being told i couldn't take the two crates in that I had just bought for the weekend they guy on the gate said it was ok as long as i didn't leave them behind at the end!
The bottle ban certainly didn't work as there were loads of pyramids and even a beer bottle stig replica complete with crash helmet (good work boys).
I have to say the misbehavior of some English and dutch guys on Sunday night has made me question whether I will camp (certainly in BN) on Sunday night next year.
To be honest this wasn't much worse than on Sunday last year in Houx though...
We stopped camping on Sunday night about 10 years ago. We always decamp and head 50 miles north to a hotel for a decent shower and a decent meal.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2899621)   #37
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been going since '83 too and have never witnessed anything like inpitlane is suggesting. I even took my young children to the race several times in the safe knowledge that they would have a wonderful time, without any fear of trouble.

Two of my friends stayed in BSJ this year for the first time and said it was an eye opening experience, however they said it was all well behaved and policed.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2899721)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In all my years I have seen no real violence or threatening behaviour, the only time I have seen any think that could be classified in that way was Mad friday and that was not just english and although stupid was never really violent. The Sunday night always seemed to have a few more drunks that other nights and like many others I know choose to return home on Sunday.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2899724)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've always been quite happy to wander around the circuit all night on my own - something I wouldn't be happy to do in the nearest big city to me, that's for sure.....
Old 15 Jun 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2899762)   #40
Mike007
Rookie

England
Orpington, Kent
Mike007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had no probs with bottles this year and have never seen any real abusive or violent behaviour at the race, other than some rather over officious gendarmes hitting cars with truncheons, simply for reving their engines outside Le Hunaudieres on Friday
Old 15 Jun 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2899789)   #41
Lipp
Rookie

Netherlands
Lipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
We stopped camping on Sunday night about 10 years ago. We always decamp and head 50 miles north to a hotel for a decent shower and a decent meal.
what a great idea! I will be doing that in 2012! I have been feeling very uncomfortable on sunday nights for a couple of years in a row.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2899812)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I've not noticed any of this either.

I did notice that someone was told to leave their glass bottle outside the circuit. They downed it and went in.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2899831)   #43
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's one of those things where with enough people there in the wrong place at the wrong time you may witness something you'd prefer not to. That said it doesn't help to then go and make sweeping generalisations. I didn't see anything.

Mad Friday/Sunday night shenanigans weren't an issue. Try being at Leeds Festival on a Sunday night and having to quickly take down your tent so it doesn't catch alight etc.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2900018)   #44
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I saw nothing of that, only problems I had were the dutch group in Houx and their loud atrocious music (but I that's no real issue) and the French bloke who used my chair to help flick ash off his splif after the race had started.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2900054)   #45
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
what a great idea! I will be doing that in 2012! I have been feeling very uncomfortable on sunday nights for a couple of years in a row.
I recomend it; a quick drive up the road to Rouen, a shower and a meal in town followed by a good nights sleep.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2900071)   #46
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
We never decamp, but head back to our campsite away from the circuit, for a decent shower and a decent meal.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2900175)   #47
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I missed this year but have been going for over 20 years you do get the odd isolated idiot/s over the years. The houx annexe roundabout got pretty silly a few years ago with no respect for anyones cars with beer & red wine being thrown around but the police did eventually sort it out. This was a mixture of nationalities.
The only fights I've witnessed were in the boxing ring they used to have at the fair !! Unless you count a couple of French guys at the bar behind dunlop about 15 years ago who were doing an excellent job of swinging at each other and missing and falling over a lot.
I did once have a group of very drunk French guys try to pick a fight in the Village for no reason apart from the fact I walked past but ignored it as you do.
On the whole though for the amount of people at an event this size especially with the amount of alcohol consumed by certain parties no matter what nationality, in general its well behaved.
Then again if you are trackside watching the best race on the planet the whole time and away from the village and bars the chance of seeing bad behavior is slim to none.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2900270)   #48
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likewise I have been going since 1983 and used to stay on the Sunday night for beers at the Hunaudieres Restaurant. We have long since abandoned this as the atmosphere deteriorated and (or as?) the CRS prescence increased... We now bail out to an un-named town about 25 miles away and enjoy a pleasant evening's food and drink.

"Mad Friday" (a relatively new phenomenon) I just find plain irritating, so maybe we'll bail out on that day too in the future.

Of course, it could all just be an age-related thing....

Old 16 Jun 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2900315)   #49
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
Likewise I have been going since 1983 and used to stay on the Sunday night for beers at the Hunaudieres Restaurant. We have long since abandoned this as the atmosphere deteriorated and (or as?) the CRS prescence increased... We now bail out to an un-named town about 25 miles away and enjoy a pleasant evening's food and drink.

"Mad Friday" (a relatively new phenomenon) I just find plain irritating, so maybe we'll bail out on that day too in the future.

Of course, it could all just be an age-related thing....

Wrinklies of the world, unite!
This smilie is based on me!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2900329)   #50
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
It would only ever be a ploy to get us to pay in-circuit prices for beer.

Remember, The love of money is the root of all evil

i'd rather drink apple juice than that
had no problem getting the Leffe inside the circuit

Ciao Marco