Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Feb 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3612879)   #26
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
When Brock drove for Volvo in Super Touring in 1996, this was frowned upon by the brass at Holden, yet they didn't seem to have any problems with TWR running Volvo's BTCC program or being involved with Benneton Ford in Formula 1 at the same time.
And of course TWR ran the factory Volvo attack on the 1998 AMP Bathurst 1000, which featured them competing against a factory backed Holden too!

The Brock thing was probably more to do with the fact it was Peter Brock himself, and wasn't this the catalyst for Holden actually signing Brock to a contract with the company, as previously he didn't have one (just with Mobil and the HRT race team itself?)

I really can't see Holden having a drama with WP running a Porsche, especially as GM has little involvement in GT3 racing on a world scale anyway.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 23:12 (Ref:3612885)   #27
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorspo...903db796235916

Quote:
“I think it’s totally inappropriate that Walkinshaws are racing in that championship. It’s not their core business. It’s outrageous,” says Roland Dane, head of the title winning Triple Eight Race Engineering operation.
“There is no enough money to make it stack up. And I don’t think it’s healthy for Australian GT racing.”
Roland not happy others have piece of cake before him.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 23:15 (Ref:3612889)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post

More likely its posturing with Holden, to perhaps become the official Holden Racing Team at some point..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Feb 2016, 23:56 (Ref:3612903)   #29
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe Roland likes Porsches
Old 8 Feb 2016, 01:11 (Ref:3612919)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
or maybe he is right. Depends what the goal for GT3 is in Australia.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 01:39 (Ref:3612931)   #31
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
you made that up, Nothing i have seen ever said it was due to lacking sponsorship, especially seeing as one of the teams was a customer car who is looking after their own sponsorship (and still is)
Did I? Ok then, answer this: Who/what sponsorship was paying for Car 47 once Supercheap moved on? Answer: No one - or not enough to run it viably. So they sold the REC

Once they were down to 3, Schwerkolt was asked to pay more to share the load, to which he responded to by leaving.
"Schwerkolt joined Walkinshaw in 2015 on a two-year deal, but is understood to have been asked to increase his financial input next year due to the extra per-car cost of running three entries rather than four"

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/11/21/...onfirms-split/
Old 8 Feb 2016, 01:49 (Ref:3612933)   #32
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The link's not working for me. Does he make any mention of Tekno?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 02:19 (Ref:3612942)   #33
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Let's face it, Roland probably has half an idea how much it costs HRT to run 2 cars a year, so for them to run this Porsche, he's probably looking at that and comparing.

In all honesty, they can't even get the 2, let alone 4 cars, right in the main game, the last thing they should be doing is looking to run in the AGT.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 02:30 (Ref:3612943)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Let's face it, Roland probably has half an idea how much it costs HRT to run 2 cars a year, so for them to run this Porsche, he's probably looking at that and comparing.

In all honesty, they can't even get the 2, let alone 4 cars, right in the main game, the last thing they should be doing is looking to run in the AGT.
Unless it generates cash to run the HRT side of the operation too... as PCR did back in the day...
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:45 (Ref:3612968)   #35
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suspect there's more margin in renting out a Porsche than a V8SC.

There's no doubt that Mr Dane has and is doing the sums on a GT3 program's viability. He's got several lines in the pond already, via two members of his engineering group, plus Tekno, and now Egglestone. His remarks about WP's involvement are most likely an exercise in brown-nosing Mr McNamara at Holden.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 01:36 (Ref:3613254)   #36
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Unless it generates cash to run the HRT side of the operation too... as PCR did back in the day...
Not sure how much margin your thinking they could potentially make, unless they're planning to charge top dollar on 2 cars, and subsidies a cheap effort on one car with that?? You pay us $7M, we give you coverage across 3 machines, but it only costs us $6M to run the whole lot, whilst I quietly prop the rest of business..... Good concept, morally wrong. But then there's no morals in motorsport....
Old 9 Feb 2016, 02:39 (Ref:3613266)   #37
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's how sponsorship works.

Sell the space for as much as you can, race for as cheaply as possible.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3613447)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Link isn't working anymore. Did Dane really say this? What an arrogant idiot.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 00:59 (Ref:3613527)   #39
m00neelee
Rookie

m00neelee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Link isn't working anymore. Did Dane really say this? What an arrogant idiot.
Quote from article:

“I think it’s totally inappropriate that Walkinshaws are racing in that championship. It’s not their core business. It’s outrageous,” says Roland Dane, head of the title winning Triple Eight Race Engineering operation.

“There is no enough money to make it stack up. And I don’t think it’s healthy for Australian GT racing.”

Yet, ironically, Dane was deep in discussions with Ferrari about next year’s 12-hour race and admits he would like to make two visits to Mount Panorama each year, one for the V8 Supercars 1000 and one for the GT3 battle.

“I think the V8 teams have things to bring to the 12-hour. Even if it’s just supporting the overseas teams. And I hope we see that roll out,” says Dane.

“So, have I got an interest in helping a team in the 12-hour next year? Yes, I have. Yes, there is a definite opportunity.”
Old 11 Feb 2016, 05:27 (Ref:3613884)   #40
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
“We’ve got new chassis here that are basically at a point where they’re ready to decide whether they’re going to be a Holden, Ford, Volvo, Mercedes or Nissan,” Ryan explained.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/c...s-it-official/
Old 13 Feb 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3614459)   #41
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the turbo V6 engine having been delayed, Auto Action is reporting Gen2 may be pushed back to 2018. http://autoaction.com.au/v8-supercar...ngine-delayed/
Old 29 Feb 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3618835)   #42
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GRM convinced the Volvo backing will continue
Old 29 Feb 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3618885)   #43
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also interesting that the Ford logo on the DJRTP gear is under license, ie they are not being sponsored for it, but they figured the logo will sell more merch.

Pretty smart.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 23:51 (Ref:3618886)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Also interesting that the Ford logo on the DJRTP gear is under license, ie they are not being sponsored for it, but they figured the logo will sell more merch.

Pretty smart.
and creates potential for the future
Old 29 Feb 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3618887)   #45
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Understand that in return Ford Australia will supply 'some' panels and parts around mid season. Awfully kind of them...
Old 29 Feb 2016, 23:53 (Ref:3618889)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Understand that in return Ford Australia will supply 'some' panels and parts around mid season. Awfully kind of them...
Perhaps these are for the show cars..
Old 2 Mar 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3619358)   #47
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
So from 2017 the Opel Insignia will be send down under and become the Holden Commodore. The top version has a V6 twin turbo.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 02:27 (Ref:3619468)   #48
Umai Naa
Veteran

We already get the Insignia now.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3619593)   #49
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
We already get the Insignia now.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/09/...den-commodore/

My original source reported it as a fact but according above it's not.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3629508)   #50
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year, the silly season went into a holding pattern until Fabian Coulthard soughted out his future, and once announced most of the dominos fell into place pretty quickly.

With no teams (as far as we know) having manufacturer support locked in, this will probably need to be sorted out first. As we are now into April with the Gen2 engine yet to appear, think we can expect an all V8 field in 2017. IIRC, 888 have their 3 drivers locked in for next year as do PRA with Mostert and Winterbottom, DJR with Coulthard and Tekno with Davison. But apart from these, all other seats are in play.

So who is going to be this year's headline grabbing mover, Courtney, McLaughlin, Moffat, Pye, Reynolds, Tander?