Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3756630)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scuderia Toro Rosso: Now with HONDA

There is now a lot of rumblings that this may happen in 2018.....with the possibility of Honda also buying TR completely some time in the future.

Then you look around and you think who would Honda want to run it?......well their old mate Ron Dennis is currently twiddling his thumbs and sold all his McLaren shares, I cannot see him being idle for too long, he is the sort of person that always bounces back, and he has Hondas ear and is trusted by them.

I also read one of the issues that finally scuppered the Sauber-Honda deal is Mclaren were not prepared to share their gearbox, probably as Sauber were historically too close to Ferrari.......but they might with RorroRosso if then know Ron is involved.....hmmmm

One to watch for sure.....
Old 1 Aug 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3756634)   #2
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Then you look around and you think who would Honda want to run it?......well their old mate Ron Dennis is currently twiddling his thumbs and sold all his McLaren shares, I cannot see him being idle for too long, he is the sort of person that always bounces back, and he has Hondas ear and is trusted by them.
Being pedantic, but McLaren haven't purchased all of Dennis' shares, yet. They are taking them back in tranches, and are having to raise the money to do so. They recently started the process, and have secured funding for the first tranche by using around 19 of the past race cars in their collection as collateral for the loan.

So often nothing in F1 is quite as it seems.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3756677)   #3
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
good article here on the BBC, pretty much sums up both the driver and engine market for 2018 quite well

RedBull are dead keen for Torro Rosso to have the Honda motor, so when it turns good they can put it in the RedBull as the main works Honda team.

McLaren are chasing Renault deal quite hard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40776162
Old 1 Aug 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3756678)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So Red Bull have a good engine, but they want a bad engine just in case it becomes good.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3756691)   #5
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So Red Bull have a good engine, but they want a bad engine just in case it becomes good.
being just "good" in F1 is not enough......they need a "better" engine......and if theres a slim chance of a better engine for free, then why not take the chance with your feeder team.......sound logic to me......so Renault would swap engines from TorroRosso over to McLaren......everyones a winner......and I'm sure the Renault will become "better" quicker than the Honda, so McLaren will be laughing quite soon

But there is still Mario Illien (Ilmor) in the background.....if McLaren have any sense they will use Renault temporarily for 1-2 years, but find Ilmor a partner to pay his bills......then they have an exclusive engine from F1's best engine genius......he absolutely understands turbo engines better than anyone
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3756702)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let's hope the reliability improves, or it won't be good for rising stars in the STR team, having it break down all the time
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3756709)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Still doesn't explain if RBR have a veto clause over McLaren getting the Renault engine

I wouldn't mind betting they do...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Aug 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3756713)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
....sound logic to me......so Renault would swap engines from TorroRosso over to McLaren......everyones a winner......and I'm sure the Renault will become "better" quicker than the Honda, so McLaren will be laughing quite soon
Probably makes sense to Mac but surely not to Renault ? I think it's fair to say that Mac's chassis is better the Renaults, so, why then, other than the money of course, would Renault want to supply yet another team, as well as Red Bull, with an engine that would ultimately allow that team to do better in the constructors championship ?
Old 1 Aug 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3756726)   #9
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Probably makes sense to Mac but surely not to Renault ? I think it's fair to say that Mac's chassis is better the Renaults, so, why then, other than the money of course, would Renault want to supply yet another team, as well as Red Bull, with an engine that would ultimately allow that team to do better in the constructors championship ?
Im thinking 2 reasons

1) money and extra R&D revenue for the main renault team.....Renault are on a budget, and Carlos Gohsn is midnful of cosst running away, so extra revenue from McLaren would be welcome, much like it is to Ferreri for customer engine deals
2) it gives Renault a chassis performance benchmark to compare and chase.

Renault could easily give RedBull and McLared B-spec engines with just 10-20bhp less power than the main factory Renault team, so everyone would be competitive, but the main Renault team just that bit more faster
Old 2 Aug 2017, 05:16 (Ref:3756833)   #10
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Why do we need a thread on this when it's already being discussed in the silly season thread?
Old 2 Aug 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3756844)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Why do we need a thread on this when it's already being discussed in the silly season thread?
I guess the OP feels that this story warrants a thread of its own, rather than being mixed in with the generic 2018 stories and rumours?

Why does anything need a thread - surely we can just have one F1 thread and talk about everything in that?
Old 2 Aug 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3756908)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Italian press are increasingly reporting that a deal with Honda is likely.

Roberto Chinchero reports that Sainz is ready to leave STR, and that Nobuharu Matsushita is being lined up by Honda to take his place.

The apparent pause in drivers moving form STR to RB is being identified as making STR as less relevant for junior driver programme, and more relevant as a test bed and contractual pawn.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3756948)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't see Ron Dennis being involved in anything. But it does make perfect sense for Honda to evolve out of the media spotlight with a 2nd fiddle team. And if the project comes good, RBR is back with a works program, if it doesn't RBR can stick with the powerplants it has and things stay as they were. Or/and STR gets taken off their hands by Honda. Whichever.

So a STR Honda is a win or break-even arrangement for Red Bull.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3757241)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A lazy couple of hundred million dollars thrown at a program with a team with only one grand prix win, and never usually close enough to the top 5 let alone any higher, seems a massive step down from the world famous McLaren connection..

Forza Minardi...
Old 3 Aug 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3757243)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A lazy couple of hundred million dollars thrown at a program with a team with only one grand prix win, and never usually close enough to the top 5 let alone any higher, seems a massive step down from the world famous McLaren connection..

Forza Minardi...
Of the two (Torro Rosso and Honda), I'd say Honda is the weakest link.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3759970)   #16
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not happening in 2018 https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...talks-collapse
Old 17 Aug 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3759972)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Saw that too, seems Honda's best hope of a second team is to bring back Super Aguri
Old 17 Aug 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3759974)   #18
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Red Bull are smart operators as the only way McLaren would get Renault is if an existing Renault team left The Regie. Hence STR no change.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3759977)   #19
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I thought that we were in the middle of an enforced break, and NOTHING is supposed to be happening in Formula One at the moment?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3759982)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought that we were in the middle of an enforced break, and NOTHING is supposed to be happening in Formula One at the moment?
If only that meant that all those team principals like Horner would keep their mouths shut. Unfortunately, it is only the workshops/teams that are on their summer hols.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3759983)   #21
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I assume that has a finite limit of who is impacted and it is more targeted at worker bees at the teams. That upper management and engine suppliers can continue to work. So Honda is back in Japan doing their thing with the engine and various players in the teams are doing their thing. Those in upper management might be on holiday and working a bit as well? Does it really "stop" during the summer break or just slow down.

Richard
Old 5 Sep 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3764675)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Red Bull are smart operators as the only way McLaren would get Renault is if an existing Renault team left The Regie. Hence STR no change.
It seems Honda and McLaren may both still be pushing to make this happen.

http://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/mclaren/news/mclaren-renault-waiting-for-toro-rosso-decision_306537.html

Honda's comments suggest that they need to move to another team in order to stay in F1, and could that force them to buy their way in?
Old 5 Sep 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3764690)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Not sure its great reporting for Toro Rosso to be made out like it us a stumbling block to McLaren's competitiveness.

Why is McLaren more important than Toro Rosso?

And given that McLaren signed their deal with Honda, why is the pressure seemingly on Toro Rosso to get them out if it?

If you were at Red Bull, you might not want McLaren having the same engine as you, despite what your racing bosses might say in public.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3764691)   #24
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If you were at Red Bull, you might not want McLaren having the same engine as you, despite what your racing bosses might say in public.
This might be the key to McLaren's argument. Red Bull always claim they are interested in the sporting contest, so positioning them as blockers to a 'fair' contest might go someway towards convincing them to prove their claims of being open to it.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3764694)   #25
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So Red Bull have a good engine
"good" being a relative term here. without Honda, we'd all think the Renault is a horrible engine. only 1 Renault-powered car (Kvyat) did not get a PU-related grid penalty in Italy.

And the reliability is... well, just ask Max.

in fact, switching Honda for Renault is the dumbest move ever, imo. Honda have been struggling for 3 years, Renault for 5. And while Honda is clearly showing improvement, Renault is going backwards. only RBR seems to be able to keep their level of performance.