Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:10 (Ref:2060142)   #326
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll have to check, Terence. I will start a WHT thread eventually, unless someone would like to start one now and get the discussion going.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:30 (Ref:2060163)   #327
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith
Jo.....Did he accept?
only that he was a bit slow in replying
Old 5 Nov 2007, 14:00 (Ref:2060198)   #328
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as well he's not that slow with that other wellknown establishment Zef
Old 5 Nov 2007, 14:17 (Ref:2060271)   #329
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
exactly, I'd imagine his PA sorts incoming, he deals with the proper stuff and the shredder passed mine to the worms to deal with hence the delay in digestion and response
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:08 (Ref:2060309)   #330
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Did you happen to get any of the eraticaly driven Black BMW on Saturday at WHT.?
Terence! you didnt complain when I took you round in it! and I dont drive bad...do I?... now dont hi jack this thread...lol

John...Pic's are great ...on with the show!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:13 (Ref:2060313)   #331
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of interest, did they only start using the chicane before the start/finish straight when Goodwood re-opened or was it used back in the day? I know it used to be more temporary then it is now but I wondered if was temporary in the 50s/60s or not used at all.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:32 (Ref:2060326)   #332
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gregor, the chicane has pretty much been a feature from the very early days. I think that it used to be rather more solidly constructed than now, though, albeit of a construction that made it relatively easy to rebuild!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:34 (Ref:2060327)   #333
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Terence! you didnt complain when I took you round in it! and I dont drive bad...do I?... now dont hi jack this thread...lol
I fell into that one didn't I. I thought he was talking about a competition car and I was wracking my brains trying to remember it! Doh!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:34 (Ref:2060328)   #334
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohh Gregor,have you not been looking at the pictures of the likes of The Nine Hour's in the older publication's? Tut,Tut.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:45 (Ref:2060336)   #335
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching some videos last night of Dad and Roy Salvadori in the Aston Martin DBR4 and DB3 from '79/'80 and they didn't use the chicane and I got the impression that had been the same when Roy won at Goodwood.

Also, when Dad used to test the Lola, Lister and other Astons at Goodwood in the '70s & '80s they rarely used the chicane so I wondered if it was raced without in period.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:56 (Ref:2060345)   #336
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

John...Pic's are great ...on with the show!
I wasn't able to speak!!

Gregor,I have a video somewhere of Roy in an Aston,some fabulous footage of him using all of the exit of the chicane,It did remind me of some one else's driving style though!!

Last edited by terence; 5 Nov 2007 at 16:01.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 18:40 (Ref:2060475)   #337
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I fell into that one didn't I. I thought he was talking about a competition car and I was wracking my brains trying to remember it! Doh!
Dont worry John....I thought he was a nice chap when I met him...we all make mistakes

Only kidding
Old 5 Nov 2007, 20:05 (Ref:2060540)   #338
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Dont worry John....I thought he was a nice chap when I met him...we all make mistakes

Only kidding

Touche!
Old 6 Nov 2007, 09:30 (Ref:2060932)   #339
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 15 - Sussex Trophy

A 15 lap race for World Championship sports cars and production sports-racing cars of a type that raced between 1955-1960. These cars run the GT cars very close in my favourite stakes and the racing is often better. It certainly was this year, and it occurs to me that maybe, every now and then, they should swap the races around and make the hour long TT race for these cars. It would be perfectly valid and driver changes would be a far greater spectacle to the spectators in the Grandstands.

A great qualifying lap by Tiff Needell in the ex Belgian racing Lister Jaguar put him on pole and I'd guess that was a surprise to many. However, as an Aston fan, and after Jean Marc Gounon's great run from the back last year in Anthony Bamford's DBR2, I was looking to him to uphold Feltham honours this year with the ever spectacular Peter Hardman in the DBR1 in with a good shout if the bigger engined car failed. It was Gounon who jumped straight into the lead from the start, followed by Needell and Hardman:-

I've been watching Mike Salmon race, of and on, for 40 years, and here he is again, this time in D-type. He finished 18th:-

Mark Gillies (Maserati 300S) gets a run on Tony Bianchi (Allard-Ferrellac -13th) and goes on to finish 11th. However, Stephen Gibson was to pass them both and finish 9th in the Lister Jaguar:-

It may be my imagination, but Ron Gammons doesn't really look as though he is enjoying himself in Devin-Chevrolet SS. He finished16th:-

Up at the front, Hardman passed Needell to make it an Aston 1-2. Tiff then had a gearbox problem and retired the Lister. You can see the effort Hardman is putting in through St Mary's in his attempts to get on terms with the bigger Aston, but Gounon continued to edge away. Peter was unable to secure 2nd place when the car slowed and he was obliged retire. Gounon had an untroubled run to win by 7 seconds from the extremely well driven Lister Chevrolet of Stuart Graham. A further 10 seconds back, Julian Mazjub brought the ever improving Sadler-Chevrolet Mk3 into 3rd:-

Alan Minshaw, the only man who has fairly regularly raced a Birdcage Maserati in recent years (thank you, Alan!) brought the Tipo 61 into 8th place:-
Old 8 Nov 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2062823)   #340
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the report John, fantastic as always! And featuring one of my favourite Ferraris, the 330LMB.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 10:51 (Ref:2062858)   #341
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

It may be my imagination, but Ron Gammons doesn't really look as though he is enjoying himself in Devin-Chevrolet SS. He finished16th:-

Nothing new there then! Fantastic shot's and report John.I almost wish I'd gone now!
Old 9 Nov 2007, 12:38 (Ref:2063706)   #342
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 15 - Glover Trophy

A 16 lap race for 1.5 litre GP and Tasman cars of a type race between 1961 and 1965. With 3 cars all in the 1.25 bracket this was set to be a close race for the final event of the meeting. Unfortunately, one of them, Martin Stretton was in hospital by then, so it was down to Frank Sytner and Barry Williams to entertain at the front, and this they did. Whizzo then spun at Woodcote and how Frank Sytner lost this race I'll never understand! Clearly he backed his pace off and with 'Whizzo' that's a mistake, but even so Sytner seemed slow to realise the threat which again started to loom large behind him. Whizzo made his move two laps from the end and whilst Frank responded with fastest lap, he was unable to get the lead back, being just 0.147 shy at the flag. In a nice touch Whizzo dedicated his win to Martin Stretton at a time, of course, when we really didn't know the extent of Martin's injuries:-

A new one on me was the Heron-Alfa Romeo of Eddy Perk who finished 12th:-

And another was the Derrington Francis-ATS (where have I been all these years?) of Philip Walker who finished 8th. Behind is Dan Collins who took 11th in Lotus 21:-

According to the programme and the results sheets, this is Ed Masson, but you couldn't mistake that helmet anywhere. It has to be John Monson (unless he lent his helmet out!) and John, I would be grateful if you could remind us how you came to be in the car because I've forgotten. Sadly the car, an Anglo American Cooper Climax, DNF'd.:-

Richard Weiland finished 16th and last of the classified runners in his Lotus Climax 24:-

Rob Hall in a BRM engined version of the 24 was a lonely 3rd:-
Old 10 Nov 2007, 12:07 (Ref:2064266)   #343
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Final comments from me. It was another great event although I really get irritated by the journalistic cliche that 'this event just gets better every year'; it doesn't. How can it, when it started 10 years ago from such a highpoint in the first place? In any event, this year it was marred for me by a number of issues that we have already touched upon. It is however still a very special event, particularly for spectators. Clearly some grass roots drivers and some owners take a different view as other threads on this forum witness, but there are others who would be delighted to get an invitation. Horses for courses.

It remains for me to say 'Chocks away, cheerio chaps':-
Old 10 Nov 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2064267)   #344
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Great reports, comments and photos John. Thank you......and can see where Kevin gets his 'jounalistic' skills from
Old 10 Nov 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2064285)   #345
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
It remains for me to say 'Chocks away, cheerio chaps':-
Well Done John excellent stuff
Old 10 Nov 2007, 13:10 (Ref:2064287)   #346
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Hope it's not Cheerio John,Fabulous Shot's and Report,s.Thank You.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2064294)   #347
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
It won't be Cheerio Terry. It needs somebody to keep us in order on here

Surprised that I didn't see you at the Classic Car Show yesterday - it was full of people from 'our' generation saying "I used to have one of those"
Old 10 Nov 2007, 15:38 (Ref:2064396)   #348
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
US!?? I thought it was just Esper and me.

I was extremely busy yesterday John[That was so strange,I made the most of it] Flying about all over the place and getting no-where.A bit like one of you'r day's in the office really.!

I could say "I had one of those" and,I used to work on those when they were new.LOL.

Last edited by terence; 10 Nov 2007 at 15:43.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 20:45 (Ref:2064630)   #349
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
[QUOTE=johngee]It won't be Cheerio Terry. It needs somebody to keep us in order on here QUOTE]

and he's busy enough keeping me in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
it was full of people from 'our' generation saying "I used to have one of those"
I was going, but didn't, as I've still got one, well four actually, hence not having the time to go