Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Nov 2007, 08:45 (Ref:2066296)   #1
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus Cortina - Repair Panels

Hi,

I'm restoring an App K Lotus Cortina. It came back from the dippers with daylight in more than one place you wouldn't expect (mind you, not bad for 42 yrs..) and I've been waiting for panels for some time.

I've obviously looked at the LCOC, and Espressed Steel who do the type of things I'm after (full panels rather than repairs if possible), but the lead times have proven to be horrendous..

Are there any alternatives I could be chasing to get this moving?

Any help appreciated.

Stacy
Old 13 Nov 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2066369)   #2
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stacy

My suggestion is that the Mk 1 Cortina Owners' Club is a better bet for these items than the Lotus Cortina Register.

Expressed Panels will make you wait months or longer until they do a batch - they won't do you a one off.

There used to be someone in the Midlands who advertised numerous remanufactured panels for the Mk 1 - haven't seen them advertisng for a while but ten again I've drifted away from the owners' clubs.

Will do some digging and send you a pm if I find anything.

As a last resort - there's always ebay....
Old 13 Nov 2007, 11:16 (Ref:2066393)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and as a very last resort the ridiculously rude man in the west country! But zef is prbably your best bet and here is normally lurking around these parts......
Old 13 Nov 2007, 11:49 (Ref:2066441)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
in order of quality, standard of service and niceness to deal with

MK1 Cortina owners club (they are without doubt the best source of parts full stop for MK1 Cortinas ) although some of the panel fits are questionable apparently. not had any problems myself

Expressed, although I've heard mixed stories about quality and fit, more recently I've heard good things.

I have inthe past bought whole cars for panels, for example a scrap 4 door can offer lots of useful bits at the fraction of the price

send me a PM with what you need, I mat be able to help, but with 3 cars of my own and one to restore/prep I try and hang on to stuff these days as its got increasingly difficult to find anything worth having.

Last edited by zefarelly; 13 Nov 2007 at 12:36.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:03 (Ref:2066706)   #5
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and as a very last resort the ridiculously rude man in the west country!
Is that the same man who could,nt be bothered to reply to my request for prices for a quaife gearkit and rebuild kit.About £1400 worth!!!!.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2066800)   #6
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Thanks Guys.

Most bizarrely I had an email out of the blue today from Espressed Steel, saying my order (with them since the summer) was approaching completion - apparently there's only a couple more things to be made. I nearly fell of my chair, but gratitude kept me vertical.. So this may be sorted after all. I'll gather up what comes and ready the welder!

As for 'our friend' - yes, I know what you mean..

S.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 23:01 (Ref:2066935)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Stacy You could probably get some made up from old Morris Oxford panels in India, and delivered by push bike for 10 bob a piece.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2067242)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've just looked very closely at shell prep, 7k is tight to do it properly
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:39 (Ref:2067256)   #9
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
T'will be done properly.. The first non wheel lifting Cortina on the grid I'm sure.

S.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:42 (Ref:2067258)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
depends how you set them up, I'm sure some people set their cars up for the cameras not lap times

500 lb front springs and 1" ARB and I don't lift, at least not noticable

600 7/8" will a bit and seems to be a popular set up, I'm trying this next year
Old 14 Nov 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2067311)   #11
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Stacy You could probably get some made up from old Morris Oxford panels in India, and delivered by push bike for 10 bob a piece.
The RX7 secret is out
Old 15 Nov 2007, 09:18 (Ref:2067841)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
most morris oxford panels are probably recycled BL panels anyway, cutout the middle man, go down the scrappie!

BoT . . . 90% of genuine LC shells I've seen have plenty of evidence of hammer rash on repair panels, harking back to the time when repair panels wheren't available, and you chopped a bit from an old washing machine panel! a bit like that fugly Peugeot/Hindustan ad !
Old 15 Nov 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2068022)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
just been on the phone to expressed

a grand a pair and 4 months for inner wings ! my 2 year old son could make them from scratch quicker

repair panels it is.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 15:38 (Ref:2068122)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
just been on the phone to expressed

a grand a pair and 4 months for inner wings ! my 2 year old son could make them from scratch quicker

repair panels it is.
Just as well he has'nt started school yet then.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 08:46 (Ref:2069407)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of LCs,anyone read the article In Motorsport this month?.Fairly good reading ,apart from the inacuracy's stated like the gearbox being from a "Cortina 2000E" in 65!.One or two others as well.If that is the car I think it is,it has more filler than steel in it.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 09:50 (Ref:2069427)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
99% of LC features are the same, I'm just reading some old mid 80's copies of Classics and classic & sports car . . . .its probably been copy/pasted from one 20 years ago !
Old 17 Nov 2007, 10:06 (Ref:2069435)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Mind you ,you would think that these scribes would at least make the attempt at proving they are not stupid Zef.