Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Jan 2009, 04:44 (Ref:2378532)   #1
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team New Zealand

I think colin needs to put johnny back in the seat full time hes a awesome driver with lots of experience ,he doesnt have a drive at the moment and i think most of the other top teams seem to stick with one driver. Dont get me wrong im all for letting young guys getting a chance but van der drift doesnt seem to be getting the results and bamber isnt always available.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2378648)   #2
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bamber is sensational but Van Der Drift has had two poor rounds, I think Bamber should be first choice with Reid as backup.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2378667)   #3
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
I think Bamber is sensational but Van Der Drift has had two poor rounds, I think Bamber should be first choice with Reid as backup.
Yea that would be a good idea but bamber has GP2 Asia and Reid has no drive
Old 25 Jan 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2378691)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
Yea that would be a good idea but bamber has GP2 Asia and Reid has no drive
That's the point. I don't know if Jonny Reid fell out with Colin Giltrap, but really the old adage applies: If it ain't broke, don't fix it and Jonny has consistently done a great job for the team.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2378977)   #5
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't mean he will do well in the new car. It's a different beast to drive appearantly. Ask team China or South Africa.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2379263)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You'd have to put your money Bamber as the better driver,Yesterdays effort was a shocker.
Shame they didn't give Brendon Hartley a run as he was there yesterday...and that would have been extremely interesting.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2379289)   #7
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
You'd have to put your money Bamber as the better driver,Yesterdays effort was a shocker.
Shame they didn't give Brendon Hartley a run as he was there yesterday...and that would have been extremely interesting.
Id like to see Hartley have a run but Red Bull wont let him so its out of the question
Old 26 Jan 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2379362)   #8
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
That's the point. I don't know if Jonny Reid fell out with Colin Giltrap, but really the old adage applies: If it ain't broke, don't fix it and Jonny has consistently done a great job for the team.
Totally agree,

Jonny Reid, drove New Zealands car this morning completing 46 laps at Taupo and was straight on the weekends pace.............................
Old 26 Jan 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2379370)   #9
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks
Totally agree,

Jonny Reid, drove New Zealands car this morning completing 46 laps at Taupo and was straight on the weekends pace.............................
Link? Reference?
Old 26 Jan 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2379372)   #10
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
http://www.3news.co.nz/News/Jonny-Re...0/Default.aspx
Old 26 Jan 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2379376)   #11
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Thanks AB.

Ferrari perhaps unwittingly helping NZL but giving Reid experience with the car.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2379474)   #12
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
This is, off course, totally unfair towards all other countries involved. I can understand that they wanted someone who a: knows Taupo, b: is a good driver and c: was available, but I agree.. this has got to help NZL a lot by handing them another driver with experience in the car.

Why couldn't they choose a driver who is not elligable for a country at the moment? Say, James Hinchcliffe, who was there too.

Or is this a way to say 'Thank you Colin Gilltrap for bailing us out"?
Old 26 Jan 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2379525)   #13
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
I guess it wasnt an ideal situation using a new zealand driver but i guess as long as they treat any other similar situations exactly the same there shouldnt be any problem
Old 26 Jan 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2379594)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes
This is, off course, totally unfair towards all other countries involved. I can understand that they wanted someone who a: knows Taupo, b: is a good driver and c: was available, but I agree.. this has got to help NZL a lot by handing them another driver with experience in the car.

Why couldn't they choose a driver who is not elligable for a country at the moment? Say, James Hinchcliffe, who was there too.

Or is this a way to say 'Thank you Colin Gilltrap for bailing us out"?
I'd go for the latter and after what Colin did to rescue the Taupo round I have absolutely no problem with it.

At least Ferrari have reacted immediately to the anti-stall problem. You can't ask for fairer than that.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 02:39 (Ref:2380143)   #15
TR7V8
Rookie

TR7V8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That test must have been on the Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
At least Ferrari have reacted immediately to the anti-stall problem. You can't ask for fairer than that.
This is not the 1st round this has happened so I can't agree it is an immediate reaction. The Irish mechanic I spoke to said they've known about the problem for months. I think this is just the 1st time it has had such an impact on the race result & with Giltrap being such a good friend of A1GP I imagine that Ferrari were told to get busy.

Richard, you might think it was unfair but it hasn't given us back the points we should have won in the feature race that were lost due to the problem at the start. http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=OpFyvHJos4M It looks like Lebanon had the same problem. Do those bobbles by France & USA constitute a jump start?

I don't think swapping drivers every couple of months is the way to go. I think I upset Mr. Reid when I suggested to him that the A1GP was a driver development focussed series. But that is the way that NZ & some of the other teams have been treating it & it shows that the series itself just isn't fully matured & respected yet. Have the Swiss ever had another driver other than Neel Jani? Do they have another driver? They certainly don't need one.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 02:50 (Ref:2380151)   #16
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rumour has it Mr Giltrap owes many $$$$$ to Mr Reid and sounds like Mr Reid has stood up for his rights.....hence why he is sidelined....shame really...he should have been in the car
Old 27 Jan 2009, 03:41 (Ref:2380179)   #17
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
rumour has it Mr Giltrap owes many $$$$$ to Mr Reid and sounds like Mr Reid has stood up for his rights.....hence why he is sidelined....shame really...he should have been in the car
Sounds fishy....it seems contradictory to everything else Colin Giltrap has done to not have paid his bill. And while it makes sense for Reid to have been being paid it surely would not have been a huge amount, A1GP was great for Reid's profile.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 03:53 (Ref:2380187)   #18
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Sounds fishy....it seems contradictory to everything else Colin Giltrap has done to not have paid his bill. And while it makes sense for Reid to have been being paid it surely would not have been a huge amount, A1GP was great for Reid's profile.
Heard it from 2 independent sources and the amount is quite significant i.e six figures
Old 27 Jan 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2380193)   #19
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
Heard it from 2 independent sources and the amount is quite significant i.e six figures
Really? I thought the NZ drivers werent getting paid-im sure i heard this when halliday was driving
Old 27 Jan 2009, 04:28 (Ref:2380200)   #20
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
maybe it has nothing to be with being paid to drive, i don't know, besides its been awhile since Halliday drove, just reporting the rumour
Old 27 Jan 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2380281)   #21
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Interview with Jonny this morning....http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/30745.wma.....oh theres 10 mins of cricket blah blah to listen to first.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2380607)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Interesting interview, although Jonny was very careful in choosing his words when it came to driving for Team NZL again. I get the impression that he would like to, but that it's by no means a given for whatever reason.

I still hope that he does.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2380668)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
Really? I thought the NZ drivers werent getting paid-im sure i heard this when halliday was driving
I remember an interview with reid last year and the insinuation was that they were getting paid.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2380814)   #24
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
Part of the Dutch driver's contracts is to keep a % of the price money. Since Willi Weber complained not having seen any price money since Taupo 2007 (source: motorsport-total.com), I can assume no one else has seen any either.

Therefore, I think that is what Johnny didn't get money simply because Colin didn't get it yet either.

I also have the feeling that this happened with the consent of the team owners though. I doubt it A1 simply witheld the price money. I think they mailed the team owners beforehand that they were going to withold the pricemoney to reserve some cash for what was to come 10 months later. (Ferrari deal).
Old 29 Jan 2009, 02:29 (Ref:2381823)   #25
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I support Jonny Reid, and feel sorry for van der Drift. NZ is flooded with young talent and Giltrap is a Saint in my book. However, apparently he would like to see a young driver make it to the very top and some people thought Jonny had his chances.

The reason for using Jonny for the testing was probably because his feedback is good and never having sat in the car before, he was starting with a clean sheet of paper.

The software issues need resolving and this year is a tough year wiht anw car, and from what I gather, the new car was no faster than old one at Taupo, which is a bit of a Mickey Mouse track.

Jonny is still named a a team member for A1GP and later in the seson, he maty well run.

Last edited by socram; 29 Jan 2009 at 02:34.