Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 11 Jul 2000, 00:50 (Ref:22493)   #1
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any of you are interested in F1 technology, then get your hands on a copy of Giorgio Piola's review of the '99 cars. Ninety-Six pages of absolute class. The man is exceptionally perceptive and skillful and the book has been produced to terrific standards. It differs from the '98 version in not having Italian text, but otherwise the standards are equally fine.

Of course, our friend FRANKLIN will probably object to the book since it rejects papyrus and natural pigments in favour of modern papers and inks. Furthermore, he'll probably point out that the book costs approximately UKĀ£20 and that's just crazy since everyone knows that it's possible to prepare a pamphlet for $0.001 and it's irrelevant that such a pamphlet would be of no interset to anyone except himself ;-)
Old 11 Jul 2000, 06:55 (Ref:22516)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Of course, our friend FRANKLIN will probably object to the book since it rejects papyrus and natural pigments in...."
-Oh it has been quite for a while around here...hmmm, where did Fraklin go??
Old 11 Jul 2000, 10:33 (Ref:22529)   #3
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't wish to be rude but has the US school term ended, so he doesn't have access to the internet?

We should start a sweep stake to guess who and what Franklin is/does!

Data:
* Knows a shed load about drag and hotrod racing from the 30-60s.
* Knows a reasonable amount about some technologies applied in the above.
* Doesn't listen/answer many technical questions
* Spends days on-line then disappears for days

Option 1: Well read school kid, with pateral interest in drag racing post WWII, no real experience in industry or hands on racing. Goes to/returns from school and loses Internet access.

Option 2: Well read retired person, with long term interest in darg racing, no real experience in industry or hands on racing. Disappears on old timers holidays every 6weeks.

:-)
IanC
Old 11 Jul 2000, 12:33 (Ref:22545)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a feeling school is out forever
Old 11 Jul 2000, 13:41 (Ref:22555)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...........and ever
Old 13 Jul 2000, 05:56 (Ref:22919)   #6
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Do you mean, that the Tech forum might actually go back to the way it was, with informative topics and answers??

Dont get me too excited here...but...is Franklin gone?

Please, please, please...tell me he has...
Old 13 Jul 2000, 06:11 (Ref:22920)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mphh. He's .......... mphhhhh. OK Sparky, take your hand from my mouth. You tell em!
Old 13 Jul 2000, 07:35 (Ref:22930)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Mphh. He's ..........overdoesd on Prozac and bought himself a pair of glasses...
Old 14 Jul 2000, 09:59 (Ref:23150)   #9
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Aahh Haa

We know someone very like Franklin then, wouldn't you say PM!?

IanC

Old 14 Jul 2000, 14:31 (Ref:23198)   #10
FranklinR
Rookie

FranklinR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Option 1: Well read school kid, with pateral interest in drag racing post WWII, no real experience in industry or hands on racing. Goes to/returns from school and loses Internet access.

Option 2: Well read retired person, with long term interest in drag racing, no real experience in industry or hands on racing. Disappears on old timers holidays every 6weeks."

IanC, if you have delusions of becoming a private eye don't quit your day job because when it comes to deductions you're a complete Willy Wonka (delete Willy, change the O in Wonka to an A and change the A in Wonka to ER).
Old 14 Jul 2000, 14:37 (Ref:23200)   #11
FranklinR
Rookie

Interesting, how this thread is entitled "F1 TECHNOLOGY" yet it consists entirely of people who since they nothing insightful, thoughtful, original, or creative to say about F1 Technology can only endlessly yammer on and on and on about me.
Old 14 Jul 2000, 14:41 (Ref:23201)   #12
FranklinR
Rookie

"Do you mean, that the Tech forum might actually go back to the way it was, with informative topics and answers??"

Well, Diabando if you can point to one piddly little thing in this entire thread that has anything at all to do with a technical subject or "informative topics and answers" I'd definitely like to hear it.
Old 14 Jul 2000, 14:43 (Ref:23202)   #13
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Oh God he back!
And a pedant....Change ........

F. we got the idea after Willy Wonka..not need to spell it out.
###################
Interesting, how this thread is entitled "F1 TECHNOLOGY" yet it consists entirely of people who since they nothing insightful, thoughtful, original, or creative to say about F1 Technology can only endlessly yammer on and on and on about me.
###################
But F. you're a star!
This is the only thread of 2000 is the last month not started by you, harping on about hotrods and drag cars. It was inevitable that the only thing we could talk about was you!

IanC

Old 14 Jul 2000, 15:29 (Ref:23210)   #14
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FranklinR, read the forum rules:

Being shown a red card will mean that your username will be banned forthwith from posting notes on this forum. We have a duty to all of our members to ensure that this is a pleasant place to post. If someone persists on breaking the above rules, after being asked to stop, we are left with no alternative but to remove their posting rights. If your are shown a red card, any information which we have on you (including your known IP address(es) and email address) will be forwarded to other forum owners.

Further offences (including attempts to post under a new username) will lead to us reporting your activities to your system administrator - whether this be your ISP, your educational establishment, or your employer.
We at this BB also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

You leave us no choice other than to remove you from this forum again.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 02:45 (Ref:23282)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
OMG!!! Thats Franklin behind that disguise of FranklinR....are you sure? Maybe all people with the name Franklin have social problems...

[note to self: don't call any of my children Franklin]

bobdrummond: can you tell us a bit about the book, sounds interesting. does it have all of the drawings in it? One thing i like is the Racer preview to the Cart season, they have the technical drawings of this years car compared to last years model...very interesting.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 09:52 (Ref:23310)   #16
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The book has billions of excellent colour drawings in it, together with chassis histories, design evolutions and engine postulations by Enrico Benzing. Our American forum members will be familiar with Giorgio Piolas work from RACER magazine, though he does concentrate solely on F1 Grand Prix Cars. He understandibly spends more time with Ferrari & mcLaren, though all the chassis/engines get a thorough review and the Benetton and Prost teams get quite a bit of stick off him!

I used to work with a guy who spent time in the design offices of a couple of the F1 teams and he said that Giorgio Piola is one of the few people who scare the team members. A quick glance at a car in the pitlane and he can see even tiny bodywork or suspension changes. The team bosses fear Bernie, the drivers fear Schumi and the engineers and mechanics fear Piola (probable Newey also)

The one bad aspect of the book is that there is nothing about Piola himself. A couple of pages describing how he does such great work would be welcome in the 2000 edition. Autosport had a feature on him almost 10 years ago I remeber.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 12:09 (Ref:23474)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I was waiting in a Newsagents today where there was a copy of Racer...there were diagrams from Giorgio Piolas of all of the F1 cars....very impressive...
Old 17 Jul 2000, 13:42 (Ref:23693)   #18
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I miss something ? Was Frankie banned earlier ? Dang - would have loved to see that !

Don't be surprised if he tries to reregister as Ratlif, his last name, He's tried it before on other forums where he was banned.

Thanks, ma, for rattling him enough in all those other threads to where he finally crossed the line !

Gotta admit, though, his posts were always good for hearty laugh.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 14:48 (Ref:23702)   #19
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Y'all,
Might be amused to follow URL http://www.animatedsoftware.com/cass...s/nltr0068.htm

I think I recognise our man!

IanC
Old 17 Jul 2000, 19:32 (Ref:23750)   #20
ma
Racer

ma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My task is complete.

Enzo $ Others :

You're welcome - dunning Frank was all too easy, but fun nevertheless ! Amasing how he just doesn't get it. My "job" is completed & I'll probably be signing off also.

Enzo - see ya at Michigan! What's with PW anyway ? Didn't see you at Detroit or Portland - they looked lost.

Old 17 Jul 2000, 20:08 (Ref:23754)   #21
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the record.
We do not encourage other posters to come here an stir things up.
I think we, the administrators of 10 Tenths are very well capable of dealing with these matters ourselfs.
The reason for banning this particular member has nothing to do with other posters' actions, but everything with the actions of said member himself.
Please let's forget about 'F' and start posting.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 10:16 (Ref:23870)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerard
For the record.
We do not encourage other posters to come here an stir things up.

Very true Gerard. Long may it continue.

Quote:
.................................The reason for banning this particular member has nothing to do with other posters' actions, ...............................
Please let's forget about 'F' and start posting.
I think Bob's original posting encouraged the reaction we see here. It actually would have been interesting to read Mr F's comments. However, Bob wasn't aware that we had banned "F" before posting the thread.

Am I correct in thinking that Giorgio Piola is published in Autosport? If so, I find his work very informative indeed.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 14:39 (Ref:23900)   #23
Franklin Ratliff
Rookie

Franklin Ratliff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Gee, Gerard

Instead of you warning other forums about me, how about if I warn other forum users about http://tentenths.com as yet another example of a CART/F1 forum run by close-minded weasels who can't stand discussion of anything innovative, creative, insightful, original or INTERESTING? Particularly if it involves anything that does not BORE PEOPLE TO TEARS and reveals the cookie-cutter clones that the organizers of CART and F1 are pawning off as real racecars? In fact, I suggest you checkout http://www.meanbusiness.com/DRUForum and Header Flames at http://www.nitronic.com RIGHT NOW.

Sincerely, Franklin Ratliff"

Old 18 Jul 2000, 14:53 (Ref:23901)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Franklin Ratliff
"Gee, Gerard

Instead of you warning other forums about me, how about if I warn other forum users about http://tentenths.com as yet another example of a CART/F1 forum run by close-minded weasels who can't stand discussion of anything innovative, creative, insightful, original or INTERESTING? Particularly if it involves anything that does not BORE PEOPLE TO TEARS and reveals the cookie-cutter clones that the organizers of CART and F1 are pawning off as real racecars? In fact, I suggest you checkout http://www.meanbusiness.com/DRUForum and Header Flames at http://www.nitronic.com RIGHT NOW.

Sincerely, Franklin Ratliff"

Y'see Franklin? You've ignored a warning again. And failing that you've also wasted a valuable opportunity to post something sensible and meaningful about the subject of this topic.

I've no doubt you will be slagging this forum off in other areas, but that's your perogative. In the meantime I would just like to say that the admins and moderators gave you every chance to stay and discuss your favourite subjects. However you failed to respect the other person's view and fell into a trap of your own making.

I hope your ISP or work or school are forgiving.

Bye.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 17:02 (Ref:23919)   #25
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uh-Oh!

Sorry Pete. You always seem to be first on the scene when
the 'effluent hits the fan'. (I think you secretly want the forum back - I'll see if I can book in an engine swap!)

So what now? Does Franklin's ISP get notified? Is there antything else that needs to be done?