Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 Jul 2000, 06:34 (Ref:22923)   #1
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

After reading the thread on Superchargers, and the point made about air compression, it caused me to consider how handy it might be to some of you if I posted a topic about the anti-theft system my father and I engineered for my car.

Most of us here, I would assume, have cars that are extremely valuable, or simply irreplaceable. So, regardless of the fact that you may be insured, some things money just cant buy back...I was faced with this problem, and here is the solution my father and I came up with. A pneumatic lock system. So good infact, that my classic car insurance company has accepted it as equal to their "immobaliser".

You start by installing a small air compressor in the boot, and run an airline through to the inside of the car, surfacing in the vicinity of the gear stick/T-bar (we just ran it under the trim along the frame inside the car). Then, construct an air cylinder, small enough to fit under a seat or inside your console. We attached an air guage to my console so I could see how much air I had in the cylinder, and made sure all air hoses when attached had no-return valves. A small hole drilled through gear stick/t-bar (under console or cover) and matching rod which is pneumatically pushed through the hole (when activated). Weld a bar for the rod to be braced away from the gear/t-bar. On my dashboard is a hidden switch which turns the compressor on, and fills the air cylinder. Hidden snugly away under my dashboard is a keylock, which, when locked or unlocked, using the air pushed from the cylinder, connects or releases the rod through the gear/t-bar. When the system is locked, you cannot release the rod unless you release the lock, and given the no-return valves, even if smart thieves cut all the airlines, it will not release the rod.

I know this all sounds very sketchy, its hard to put it all down in words correctly....so if this thread actually interests you, just ask me more direct questions and I can probably answer them better.

Old 13 Jul 2000, 07:34 (Ref:22929)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds extremely interesting but I just use a Steering lock (specially shaped lockable bar accross the steering wheel) on my cars.

Maybe a sketch would be good. Does the compressor operate off the car electrics?

What pressures do you get in the cylinder under your seat?

BTW. Franklin read this and asked me to tell you that Art Arfons did this in 1959 on his first LSR car.

On another subject (but related as far as pressure vessels in the cabin). I used to suffer from oil surge in my race car. Baffled sumps etc. didn't solve the problem so I installed an Accumulator sump. This works off the oil system which charges the cylinder (placed in the passenger well of the car), and when I get a surge the cylinder purges the oil into the engine galleries. The engine then re-pressurises the cylinder as normal.
Old 14 Jul 2000, 06:38 (Ref:23140)   #3
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont bother with the steering lock anymore...thieves over here cut them in half and are off with your car before you can say "OY!"

Yes - the compressor draws power from the car battery...

The cylinder is actually in my console *g*...and its main use is to store air, so rather than having to use the compressor every time, you can store and only use the compressor, say, once a week. I am not sure what psi the cylinder holds, never actually tested that. What I can do is check and tell you what my "normal" range is.

You want me to try and sketch it?....I think you are pulling my leg

Old 14 Jul 2000, 10:16 (Ref:23156)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And a very attractive leg it is too!!! (ALLEGEDLY)
Old 16 Jul 2000, 23:32 (Ref:23563)   #5
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
I had a play with the system over the weekend, and 400 kpo gives me about 5-6 bursts of air. This is not the capacity of the cylinder, I would not have a clue how much it would actually take - but I know its a LOT more than 400kpo.

Old 21 Jul 2000, 21:58 (Ref:24604)   #6
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds very cool indeed, Diabando.

Why not make it an outside lock and switch (hidden ofcourse) or remote control and expand it to your doors as well?
An airline to every door and an extra air driven three-rod lock, like a vault.

Optional a locking rod through all the pedals, through the handbrake and maybe four rods, drilling itself inside the tarmac whenever parked just to secure being towed away.