Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Aug 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1385433)   #76
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 18 Aug 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1385435)   #77
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
Yes well im sure they did their best to make the figures appear all well to attract sponsors. As this was in a sponsorship proposal package.

But it gives us a reference anyway.
Errr... no it doesn't. I can't recall seeing numbers like this before.

QR is low. OP is low, EC is high, Wakefield... 25 for Konica is pure fiction, PI seems high...
Old 18 Aug 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1385438)   #78
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Errr... no it doesn't. I can't recall seeing numbers like this before.

QR is low. OP is low, EC is high, Wakefield... 25 for Konica is pure fiction, PI seems high...
Im not saying their figures are right. But unless you attend each round and have a head count on you, you cant proove otherwise.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1385443)   #79
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hhhmmmm, those figures look very familiar.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1385451)   #80
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Hhhmmmm, those figures look very familiar.
Meaning....

But if you have seen them before also, they must at least be ballpark figures. Or maybe a shoddy job of exagerating which you have witnessed. Either way.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1385952)   #81
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look at www.aussieracingcars.com.au and some of the pics in the photo album from Oran Park show the huge crowd that was there on the weekend. I dont think the numbers for Wakefield look right but most others seem OK and for sure Oran Park even the pit area shots look crowded. I also heard that there will be more Supercar Teams running cars next year and I read somewhere that there will be a second GRM car, does anyone know which other Teams.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1385961)   #82
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
At Oran Park there was something like 33,000 people there or so.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1385974)   #83
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well nearly everyone there over the weekend hung around till the end to see the ARC run! even in the dark.....
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1386037)   #84
cav
Racer

I thought the flames and sparks from the exhausts looked really spectacular in the fading light and the sound of the cars really sent a chill through you in the quieter time as it got dark. I thought the big screen looked really uncanny and sensational as it really stood out and didnt really reflect how dark it was. They were certainly worth hanging around for and there were plenty of others who did as well mind you my missus had to have her arm twisted a fair bit as I had her up at sparrow fart to get a good spot. Probably have to wash her shopping car a couple of times to pay back the brownie points.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1386304)   #85
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
At Oran Park there was something like 33,000 people there or so.
Is that the Avesco stance ?
Old 19 Aug 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1386736)   #86
cav
Racer

Iwould think AVESCO would have quoted higher numbers than that although I have not heard what they officially have released. The place looked chockas though and there wasnt much room to move. We had to get the family sitting next to us to save our spot while we went into the pits to check out the cars and were lucky to still have our spot when we got back.They were pretty good though and didnt drink any of my beers.
Old 20 Aug 2005, 06:32 (Ref:1386791)   #87
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My only reasoning is that the place has been chockas for as long as memory serves at ATCC events, however each year the number some how grows and then grows to the point now where there is now no such thing as an "official Avesco crowd figure".
Old 21 Aug 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1387209)   #88
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D.R.T,
You are a Sydneysider, surley you went out to see for yourself at Oran Park? I know from your stance that you dont like to see the so-called purist and that dirty V8 lot intergrate but with F/F and prodution style cars on the program you must have been a chance of an appearence?
Dont know what ATCC rounds you are refering to because I remember many cold Saturday mornings on the hill watching practice and qualifying and you could have swung a cat and not hit anybody while the Great A.Moffat buzzed around in the rx7.
Corporate facilitys were up a further 15% this year and it was very visible so was the crowd which was chocas all the way round to the cart track. By the way I love F1 and Supercars and and dont suffer the class issues that perhaps you may??
Old 21 Aug 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1387235)   #89
cav
Racer

The diverse programme is part of the reason why the events are more interesting. In the old days there were no races on Saturday, I got out for a look with a couple of mates on Saturday afternoon before my full pilgrimage with the missus on sunday and again the Aussie Racers turned it on for me. I missed the first race but enjoyed the other which was really better than even Carera Cup.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1387365)   #90
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
D.R.T,
You are a Sydneysider, surley you went out to see for yourself at Oran Park? I know from your stance that you dont like to see the so-called purist and that dirty V8 lot intergrate but with F/F and prodution style cars on the program you must have been a chance of an appearence?
Sorry to dissapoint you bazil but no I didnt attend the OP round.

I am not sure where you have got the idea that I dont agree with integration and mingling bewteen the motorsport fan and v8 fans. I am all for this type of integration, hopefully it is this type of integration that can save the current plight of Australian motorsport. This integration needs to be a two way street within the v8 series and outside it.

I long for the day when I will again attend a v8 event. Some of my closest friends and family are v8 fans, we have our debates and discussions and try our best to get each other to the respective events. However the way things are currently, unfrotunately neither looks like happening.

Quote:
Dont know what ATCC rounds you are refering to because I remember many cold Saturday mornings on the hill watching practice and qualifying and you could have swung a cat and not hit anybody while the Great A.Moffat buzzed around in the rx7.Corporate facilitys were up a further 15% this year and it was very visible so was the crowd which was chocas all the way round to the cart track.
I was more comparing Sunday figures eg 33,000 quoted for Sunday at OP. If you go back through your achives looking at events from the Group A days and even to 1996 and 1997 (remember when Avesco and 10 tells us v8's were at their lowest) and explain to me where we are going to fit these 10-15 thousand extra people.

Quote:
By the way I love F1 and Supercars and dont suffer the class issues that perhaps you may??
What class issues might these be ?
Old 21 Aug 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1387378)   #91
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Same ol same ol

So once again the crowd figures are under dispute by those who will say anything to dis-credit the V8s, how typical.

I'll ask that grand old question once again, "do you have any proof the figures are wrong ?" or is it just in your mind again

Same ol same ol
Old 21 Aug 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1387380)   #92
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont know about you, but I noticed the crowds/lineups to the comfort stops, the food venues, and indeed the exit from the circuit to be significantly shorter than in season 2004.

Is that because they are more efficient in each of these areas, or because there were less people... I didnt see too many people at the end of the front straight this year (as compared to last year) and the number of people on the 2nd hill did not see to be as populated on race day as in previous years.

I didnt sit and count the heads... but I noticed that when I wanted to move round the track to different viewing areas, I was not particularly restricted in doing so... whereas last year I was....

Make of that what you will...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Aug 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1387386)   #93
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
I wasnt able to attend last year on Sunday only on Sat so I have no reference to 2004 but the place looked full to me compared to 1995-97-98 2000-01-02-03.
As a side note, dont know whether its due to the different layout but OP always seems packed to me when compared to EC events I've attended.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1387409)   #94
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok but back to what this is all about!

ARC rocks live...... game on
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1387414)   #95
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
ARC rocks live...... game on
Agreed
Old 21 Aug 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1387861)   #96
cav
Racer

ARC rocks TV too, when is it on?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:18 (Ref:1387898)   #97
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer

I'll ask that grand old question once again, "do you have any proof the figures are wrong ?" or is it just in your mind again

Same ol same ol
No I dont have any actual proof, but then I'm sure neither do Avesco.

My opinion is based inconsistencies that have been built up from races at Oran Park over many years compared to Avesco's press releases.

I can't see any problems with asking questions, especially in an internet forum that leads to other people sharing there insights. For example GTR's previous post.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1387949)   #98
cav
Racer

Hey GTR, you must have been lining up for a hot dog when the Aussie Racers were on or the start of the V8 Race, My missus had to line up for a while but she went just before the Cup Car race finished and there were plenty there then, is that telling you something about what gets the crowd. Still cant find out when they are on the box.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 03:31 (Ref:1387954)   #99
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
Hey GTR, you must have been lining up for a hot dog when the Aussie Racers were on or the start of the V8 Race, My missus had to line up for a while but she went just before the Cup Car race finished and there were plenty there then, is that telling you something about what gets the crowd. Still cant find out when they are on the box.
Yeh that is funny, either when you are getting food or going to the loo during races such as Formula Ford, Lotus Elise its packed. At philip island most peole watched the saloon cars which produced most of the best racing. Formula 3 also attracted most of the crowd. But the most watched the GT production (hope i got that right) races. Probably because there were more crew involved than most of the other categories which made the numbers look huge. And quite a few watched the F4000 races, even though they were over once the lights went green.

Since this topic is about Aussie Racing cars. Are the V8 sanctioned teams using the category as a publicity gain, or are they generally trying out drivers? I think the first option is the most likely. If you were any good in an Aussie Racing Car the next step is probably Formula Ford in a sense. Unless you can get into some form of production series. Or 95% of the categories in Australia if you have money.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 04:08 (Ref:1387970)   #100
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Since this topic is about Aussie Racing cars. Are the V8 sanctioned teams using the category as a publicity gain, or are they generally trying out drivers? I think the first option is the most likely.
As far as DJR and GRM are concerned, Tim Monte has been involved with DJR for a couple of years now, and Nick Simmons is a young guy that was plucked straight out of karts for the GRM ride.

And WPS has stated several times that they see the series as a stepping stone in their racing empire.

Certainly all of the young guys in the series see it as such. I honestly think the V8 squads involved do too - surely if all they wanted was publicity they would take experienced guys that have been around for a while instead of promising, but inexperienced rookies.
Closed Thread