Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Aug 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1992960)   #51
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going for it again, marshalling all four circuits. Have to say it's one of the highlights of the year for me.

The entry this year is the best so far, so looks like we're in for a good week's motorsport.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1994578)   #52
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I hope so, as I will try to attend about 3 locations a day!
At least it's not far from Coombe to home each night...
Old 26 Aug 2007, 21:44 (Ref:1997069)   #53
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Is Brands going to be open for spectators? Thinking about starting there then a quick dash up to Brooklands.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1997273)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it pretty likely. Last year, I caught up with it at Cadwell; I think I was able to drive straight in. I'm hoping to catch it at Donington, this year.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1997369)   #55
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Cadwell and Donington weren't a problem for me in previous years and I had initially assumed the same would be true of Brands until I read Fred's last post. Asked about Tuesday he said that we would be welcome at Brooklands but made no mention of Brands. I know that in previous years odd stages have not been open to the public so thought it best to check before making any plans.

BTW if Donington is like last year, head for the infield tunnel entrance near the exhibition centre not the main paddock entrance.
Old 27 Aug 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1997586)   #56
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
. . .
BTW if Donington is like last year, head for the infield tunnel entrance near the exhibition centre not the main paddock entrance.
I doubt if that would be a good idea. Not only is that entry not normally in use for this year; at present it leads to a huge mound of earth which was last weekend's Motocross circuit.

Try the Coppice tunnel entrance instead. (You will probably have to access the circuit grounds from that (the Museum) end in any case. The Paddock entrance is usually blocked off as an anti-Gyppo measure.)

Regards

Jim
Old 27 Aug 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1997589)   #57
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch and Brooklands will both be open to the public. Tour Britannia will not make a charge but the venues may do.

Regarding Donington, I think Redshoes means that we do not use the normal paddock. Last year we were outside the museum, this year opposite the Exhibition Centre.

Sorry for the slow replies but we are all working flat out to ensure a succesful MOTUL Tour Britannia 2007.

Fred
Old 27 Aug 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1997610)   #58
redshoes
Veteran

Thanks Fred. Brands and Brooklands it is then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
I doubt if that would be a good idea. Not only is that entry not normally in use for this year; at present it leads to a huge mound of earth which was last weekend's Motocross circuit.

Try the Coppice tunnel entrance instead. (You will probably have to access the circuit grounds from that (the Museum) end in any case.
Sorry, I meant go to that gate and park outside. There's no need to drive through the tunnel. The cars assemble at the back of the exhibition centre and enter/leave the track via the ambulance gate next to the railway car.

Last year I got there a bit early and headed straight for the paddock entrance. The security bod on the gate didn't seem too clued up on what was going on - he could tell me I was in the wrong place but couldn't say where I should be.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1999083)   #59
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for all the hints n tips folks...
I'm getting quite excited, as Fred has let me join the privileged for this event. First time with Accreditation. Hopefully the first of many.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 09:39 (Ref:2002400)   #60
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope every thing goes well John[R].I,m sure this will be the best yet.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2004092)   #61
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic selection of cars at Brooklands and super weather

But did I miss Gareth Burnett's GT40 which was showing on the entry list ?

Last edited by josvandeperre; 5 Sep 2007 at 09:05.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2004701)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Had a great day following the Tour at Donington and Mallory today. Some fabulous cars, and there is no doubt this event has grown in stature and strength. Fred G professed himself pleased with the way it's going, and you can read the latest update here:-
http://www.tourbritannia.com/

I even got to meet fellow Tenther, Tim The Grey! I'll get around to putting some pics up in due course.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 22:28 (Ref:2004714)   #63
redshoes
Veteran

Much as I hate to say this, I've not been overly impressed with this year's event.

Website is in need of an update - Route Overview page still says "Details will be available soon".

Went to Brooklands yesterday. Saw the first few cars go up the test hill then moved to the Member's Bridge to get some better pictures and stood waiting for something else to happen. I could hear the marshals on the track below me asking each other what was going on as they seemed to be equally in the dark. Eventually spoke to another marshal who told me the actual stage was taking place at Mercedes World, NOT at Brooklands. That meant if I wanted to watch the stage I'd have to leave the museum grounds, and therefore couldn't get back in to look around the museum afterwards (which I had intended to do). Would have been very useful if this information was made available before the event. In the end I decided to ignore the stage and wander around the museum for an hour or so (and very good it was too). Got back to the car just as the final cars were on the Mercedes World stage. Good job I hadn't gone earlier as the only spectator areas behind the outer fence were so far from the track that you saw hardly anything.

Today went to Mallory. The regularity cars arrived near enough on time then nothing. Asked one of the marshals when the competition section was starting and was told the Tour was running late and no one knew what time they would arrive. Luckily there was a moto-x test running so I could watch that, otherwise it would have been sat waiting for well over an hour.

I understand there were problems at Donington in the morning, with the track being double-booked and the Tour only getting part of it's allotted track time.

I was planning on going to Loton Park on Weds but after all that, I don't think I'll bother. Shame because I really enjoyed it in previous years.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2005105)   #64
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
redshoes,
I was marshalling at Brands, with the intention of going down to Brooklands afterwards. I asked one of the officials if they needed marshals at Brooklands and was told that I would be too late and the stage was at Mercedes World.
Can I just point out to the organisers, for future reference, that Brooklands and Mercedes World are not the same place. They may be next door to each other, within the circumference of the old circuit, but they are different museums and you cannot just go from one to the other, as redshoes has pointed out.
I would like to say, however, that I enjoyed my morning at Brands had hope everyone had an enjoyable event.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:11 (Ref:2005356)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
Fantastic selection of cars at Brooklands and super weather

But did I miss Gareth Burnett's GT40 which was showing on the entry list ?
Gareth was in a Talbot 105 and I have not yet learnt why the GT40 was absent.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:18 (Ref:2005360)   #66
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gents, just a few quick points as the event is coming to an end.

Mercedes-Benz World is inside the banking at Brooklands so I think it is reasonable to call the test Brooklands.

The run up the test hill and on bits of the banking was optional for competitors and never advertised.

We always run a 20 minute or so gap between regularity and competition. Long road sections can also make gaps vary.

The website is updated very often with stories and lots of photographs each night. I agree "route" heading needs removing but itinerary has been there for months and regularly updated.

The event has been a great success with virtually all all the competitors and feedback from marshals has been excellent. MOTUL Tour Britannia does not, and never has, charged spectators.

More news over the weekend when things have calmed down.

Fred
Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:47 (Ref:2005386)   #67
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Fred, and it was good to catch up with you (briefly!) during what must gave been a pretty busy day!

A few pics from the Donington assembly area; I might put some captions up later. I will certainly be putting some on track shots up over the coming days:-

Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:49 (Ref:2005387)   #68
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gallagher
Mercedes-Benz World is inside the banking at Brooklands so I think it is reasonable to call the test Brooklands.
It would have been much better to make that a little clearer beforehand.

Quote:
The run up the test hill and on bits of the banking was optional for competitors and never advertised.
The stage was advertised as being at 'Brooklands', so if I see cars being flagged away up the Brooklands' Test Hill and around the Brooklands' banking, it's seems only logical that I was in the right place. There was no indication that this was simply an optional run until I asked one of the marshals. Again, had the Brooklands / MB World distinction been made earlier it wouldn't have been a problem.

Quote:
We always run a 20 minute or so gap between regularity and competition. Long road sections can also make gaps vary.
Was the road section to Mallory that bad? First regularity cars were on circuit at 2.25, actually 20 mins earlier that advertised, the competition cars didn't get on track until 4pm. That's closer to 90 mins gap.

EDIT. As John got in before me, more pics at http://www.redshoes-archive.com/Clas...ritannia/2007/

Last edited by redshoes; 6 Sep 2007 at 16:51.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 06:22 (Ref:2005834)   #69
scoop
Rookie

scoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redshoes

Have you never been rallying?
Gaps and delays in the running order are common for a variety of reasons, often outside the control of the organisers. It only takes a small problem with one car on a stage to introduce a delay.

You should have gone out on Thursday - it all ran very well, with only one delay at the end after the Frazer Nash went off at Weston Park. Loton was excellent as ever and the battle for overall victory was great.

Another great TB, the best yet, and it will only get better.
Well done to Fred and all the team. It's got a unique atmosphere and here's to next year.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 07:57 (Ref:2005879)   #70
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of points from redshoes earlier post

Surely if you had been looking at the website enough to realise it was not being updated (eg entry list incomplete too) then you would also have seen the pieces about the Tour going to MB World !
Old 8 Sep 2007, 10:40 (Ref:2006705)   #71
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Through this forum, Andrew Hall and myself would like to thank everyone who helped keep the Frazer Nash running during the Tour Britannia and in particular the marshals and medics who got us and the car sorted after our flip at Weston Park. A rather large bump on the apex of the second right hander put the car a couple of feet further out than I wanted and after the rear wheel slid sideways in to the ditch it dug in and flipped. Amazingly, the car rolled mid air, landed on it's feet and the damage to the car is minimal and restricted to panel beating which is carried out as I write this. We were both fine although a little bruised Andrew being slightly more battered due to me landing on him which he will not let me forget for a long time! Fred, Alec and their team put on a fantastic rally with challenging stages and great circuits. Traffic problems were minimal and the road miles hugely enjoyable - well done and thanks to all concerned.
If anyone has footage / photos of our denouement I would like to have look at what actually happened and see why the car is so unscathed. I can be contacted at work on 01763 274100 or blakeneybms@btinternet.com

Patrick Blakeney Edwards.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2006796)   #72
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
IT was indeed nice to see a couple of other folk as flesh and blood, not just cyber avatars!

I had a wonderful time, if confusing on occasion...

I'm frantically editing pictures right now, amidst the plaster dust wreckage of the house, as I don;t have broadband at the outlaws place.

So, apologies if I'm slow in responding to anything at the moment.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2006809)   #73
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Here are the first couple of tasters.

MANY thanks to Fred for the pass, I owe you one!

We have, first, an exotic collection driving up to the Queen's for tea, but she wasn't in, so we all headed back up to the Midlands...

Next, a very rare Alfa TZ1 at Brooklands. I never saw it again? What happened???

Finally, Patrick's Frzer Nash, BEFORE the new grille badge, or the accident.
Was the new badge a self fulfilling prophecy, I wonder?
Glad to hear you are both OK. I had no idea you'd actually rolled. Paul was taking details from the marshall's wife on the scene, as I believe she had pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Long Drive Windsorweb.jpg   24 Alfa TZ1 Brooklandsweb.jpg   30 Nash Brooklandsweb.jpg  

Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:32 (Ref:2006821)   #74
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Here are the first couple of tasters.

MANY thanks to Fred for the pass, I owe you one!

We have, first, an exotic collection driving up to the Queen's for tea, but she wasn't in, so we all headed back up to the Midlands...

Next, a very rare Alfa TZ1 at Brooklands. I never saw it again? What happened???

Finally, Patrick's Frzer Nash, BEFORE the new grille badge, or the accident.
Was the new badge a self fulfilling prophecy, I wonder?
Glad to hear you are both OK. I had no idea you'd actually rolled. Paul was taking details from the marshall's wife on the scene, as I believe she had pictures...

Yes i saw the car come into Combe Abey on the last day. Looked a bit damaged not to bad, has anyone Pictures of the crash scene? Thanks and i am glad both of the drivers are ok.

Cheers

Last edited by thebullet; 8 Sep 2007 at 13:35.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2006826)   #75
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I have several...
This shows the barbed wire fence I thought they had gone UNDER...
Attached Thumbnails
30 ditched Westonweb.jpg