Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3625280)   #151
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The New South Wales premier (Baird) keeps pushing for Sydney to have the race when the current contract expires. Over the Harbour Bridge and down the Cahill Expressway...what a crock!!!
Old 20 Mar 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3625291)   #152
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
A few things to remember from the Australian GP:
* Huge crash for Alonso & Gutierrez, thankfully everyone is OK
* Ferrari was close to Mercedes, could have won it but didn't
* Great result for Haas & Grosjean
* Raikkonen fairly competitive compared to Vettel
* No love lost between the Torro Rosso drivers. This may well end in tears sooner or later
* strong debut for Palmer
* happy podium, even Vettel and Webber shared some fun.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 22:35 (Ref:3625306)   #153
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The reason that it is permitted is because, I believe, F1 allows heated tyres, so the cars are set-up to use them; they are not very good on cold tyres. And the situation would be no different to when a safety car is put out immediately after somebody pits; other cars that pit during the safety car period will benefit.
Fair point about the heated tyres but they could throw the blankets on the esiting tyres while waiting to go back out.

Also true that it's no different to the safety car, but the so-called safety car is a rubbish idea and a slickly organised red flag could be so much better. As it is, it is somewhat better.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3625315)   #154
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Fair point about the heated tyres but they could throw the blankets on the esiting tyres while waiting to go back out.

Also true that it's no different to the safety car, but the so-called safety car is a rubbish idea and a slickly organised red flag could be so much better. As it is, it is somewhat better.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but heating used tyres can have different effects based on how long they have been on the car; this is why the teams will sometimes send a car out in free practice to scrub in a new set so that they will react differently when re-heated in the blankets, and perform better (for that car and/or driver) when used in the race. In theory, if they all put on a "new" heated set, then they will all be fairly equal.

What is far more interesting to me is whether the driver can discuss with his engineers on the red flag grid about what tyres to put on, and what new strategy that they should adopt? I only ask this because they can no longer do this on the radio, but if they are able to whisper in each others' ears, who is to be any the wiser?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 22:57 (Ref:3625318)   #155
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Also when you consider the race was stopped for the amount of debris on the track, it's probably safer to let them change their rubber
Old 20 Mar 2016, 23:37 (Ref:3625334)   #156
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
The New South Wales premier (Baird) keeps pushing for Sydney to have the race when the current contract expires. Over the Harbour Bridge and down the Cahill Expressway...what a crock!!!
What would be the track layout?
Old 21 Mar 2016, 00:53 (Ref:3625358)   #157
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saw this on reddit. Crazy photo!

Old 21 Mar 2016, 03:26 (Ref:3625388)   #158
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will they take Alonso's car back to the UK, or does it become landfill in Melbourne?
Old 21 Mar 2016, 12:31 (Ref:3625489)   #159
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Max, lawl. Last year he complained about team orders. Today he wanted team orders. And then he threw the toys out the peak, crying it's not fair. I like him but he was a wee spoilt child today.
Wee spoilt child is good. Lots of fans complain about a lack of personalities on the grid, and unless a driver can perform a stand-up routine on the team radio (let's not give Bernie any ideas...), the most entertainment you're going to get from a driver is from one of them losing their cool on the radio.

I don't have a problem with that. I'd like to see drivers display that level of honesty outside the cockpit too.

Don't get me wrong - this isn't NASCAR and I don't want to see that in every driver. But if the kid's a petulant child, then let him be a petulant child.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3625539)   #160
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Saw this on reddit. Crazy photo!
The season is young, but potentially F1 photo of the year there IMHO! It was a scary accident and that photo tells a great story.

Richard
Old 21 Mar 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3625568)   #161
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
indeed. that photo really does tell a great story.

another pic of Alonso from his instagram feed. cant figure out how to link to Instagram directly so used one of the sun paper reprinting it.

glad to see he is ok and showing a sense of humour about it.

Old 23 Mar 2016, 10:26 (Ref:3626256)   #162
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Despite their one, two finish Mercedes can hardly be satisfied with their performance, Lewis with the 2016 engine could not pass the Toro Rosso's using last year's Ferrari power units that were not even as good a Mercs 2015 unit. Let's face it in 2015 they were able to blow past anyone with ease, this year neither driver looked dominant, and it was 'strategy' rather than outright pace that saw them home.

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for Formula 1 in 2016.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3626555)   #163
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Despite their one, two finish Mercedes can hardly be satisfied with their performance, Lewis with the 2016 engine could not pass the Toro Rosso's using last year's Ferrari power units that were not even as good a Mercs 2015 unit. Let's face it in 2015 they were able to blow past anyone with ease, this year neither driver looked dominant, and it was 'strategy' rather than outright pace that saw them home.

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for Formula 1 in 2016.
Hamilton especially looked less than sharp with a big error right off the bat messing his start. At least he is admitting his mistake in spinning up his wheels:

"Asked if he had clutch problems at the start, Hamilton said: "No, I just got wheel spin. No particular real issues ... Ferrari's [starts] are very, very strong. My initial phase was just the same as Nico's but the second part where you release the clutch fully I just had extra wheel spin and didn't recover from it so it wasn't a major issue."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ferrari-starts
Old 24 Mar 2016, 03:01 (Ref:3626557)   #164
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysocks View Post
Hamilton especially looked less than sharp with a big error right off the bat messing his start. At least he is admitting his mistake in spinning up his wheels:

"Asked if he had clutch problems at the start, Hamilton said: "No, I just got wheel spin. No particular real issues ... Ferrari's [starts] are very, very strong. My initial phase was just the same as Nico's but the second part where you release the clutch fully I just had extra wheel spin and didn't recover from it so it wasn't a major issue."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ferrari-starts
I think they should try a rolling start next year.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 06:55 (Ref:3626575)   #165
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Hamilton especially looked less than sharp with a big error right off the bat messing his start.
Methinks you exaggerate. To continue the ESPN article-

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff admits the team had been struggling with practice starts over the weekend.

"[On Saturday] our practice starts weren't very good. To be honest I don't know what happened at the start, we need to analyse what it could have been and we are looking to fix it.

"[Hamilton's start] was a couple of metres worse than Nico's from what we measured and I'm not quite sure whether it was a hardware or software problem or just reaction. We will have to look."

If it means we get better races, then let's be thankful!
Old 24 Mar 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3626745)   #166
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Toto is adding anything here. He is saying he does't know what happened and he needs to analyse.

Spinning up your wheels and losing six positions to me is a big error. His feel or timing must be off or something.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3626836)   #167
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think they should try a rolling start next year.
No, no, no, NO!!!!!
Old 24 Mar 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3626856)   #168
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No, no, no, NO!!!!!
Agreed.

Although at least it might mean we got to see laps 3 to 11 of the race instead of endless replays of the bl****y start.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3626870)   #169
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No, no, no, NO!!!!!
I was kidding.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 18:24 (Ref:3628117)   #170
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't think Toto is adding anything here. He is saying he does't know what happened and he needs to analyse.

Spinning up your wheels and losing six positions to me is a big error. His feel or timing must be off or something.
Small error, big consequences. A small variation on the start can have a disproportionate impact on your position compared to other small mistakes.
Vettel had a bigger error, but lower consequences.

Still, it's a skill and is fun to do and watch.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3628215)   #171
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but i really really liked Nico's new helmet design. kind of has a star wars tie fighter pilot vibe to it!

Old 28 Mar 2016, 23:02 (Ref:3628225)   #172
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but i really really liked Nico's new helmet design. kind of has a star wars tie fighter pilot vibe to it!

Old 29 Mar 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3628578)   #173
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
46Gs in his crash and it broke his seat! lucky to be alive for sure.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33398.html