Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3624174)   #51
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, just read that Bernie thought it was crap, LOL.

Thing is, where to from here?

Back to the future or some more fiddling.

Bernie talks about the Mercs running riot, and the idea of the revised qualifying is to mix it up.

Fix the regs so the field closes up, don't introduce circus tricks to try and fix it!!!
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:15 (Ref:3624177)   #52
simon21191
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gateshead
simon21191 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know that something is wrong when the fight for pole position leaves the fans with 4 minutes of zero cars on track shocking this morning
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:31 (Ref:3624180)   #53
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
Reading all posts from you guys in the UK.

At least I was watching it a decent time in the afternoon, not 6am!!!

Sorry, had to get that one in, usually its me at midnight.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3624182)   #54
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin Brundle summed it up in his commentary near the end of the session:

"Do you remember that weird qualifying format they had for one race at the start of 2016?"

I do hope he turns out to be right.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:50 (Ref:3624184)   #55
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
Yes, we only got all the Australian commentators including Alan Jones & Mark Webber, and they were scratching their heads and trying to be partially positive.

Good. on Martin for calling it out straight away.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 11:02 (Ref:3624188)   #56
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Last years qualifying was basically perfect. Why was it changed?

Anyway, predictable result but I'll watch the Ch4 coverage tomorrow anyway.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 11:26 (Ref:3624192)   #57
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
As Martin said, Spa with its long long lap will be a total failure with this system.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:20 (Ref:3624215)   #58
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's too early to judge the new qualifying format.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3624218)   #59
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
agreed but it succeeded in one way....everyone is sufficiently outraged!

as for the quali results its Merc then Ferrari which was pretty much expected....from there on its really a very interesting grid.

Rosberg looked ragged, the STR pipping Williams and RBR, the FI in 9 and 10, Mclaren not at the bottom and possibly faster if they had managed the Quali session better and Haas ahead of Manor but Sauber ahead of both.

lots to be interested about imo.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:27 (Ref:3624243)   #60
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Well, that did not exactly work. First two parts were a bit meh, but maybe could work. 3rd part definitely does not work. Only 2 attempted more than one run and no cars at all on track for the last 4 minutes.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3624249)   #61
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The frantic scramble at beginning of Q1 was pretty entertaining, but then... oh boy.

I doubt they'll revert completely to the old format - too much pride and ego involved for that - but hopefully they'll tweak it, perhaps reverting Q3 to the old format and also letting cars complete their flying laps during Q1 and Q2 without being eliminated mid-lap.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:36 (Ref:3624256)   #62
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
You a re right about completing the flying laps. That would be better./
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3624268)   #63
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it were up to me there would already be a press release
out going back to the previous qualifications format starting
with the next race. That was p a t h e t i c! US tv coverage
was hammering it and rightly so.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3624270)   #64
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but potentially more complicated/confusing. the bigger issue imo comes from the length of time the in and out laps take but given more time to figure it out perhaps the teams can better sort that issue out as their computer models improve.

in fairness though, the system came very close to working and producing the desired results. if Rosberg (who managed to find the time) was not able to recover from his mistakes in Q1 then this things would have played out very differently.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 15:13 (Ref:3624299)   #65
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
More time and tyres.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3624335)   #66
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
If we want something different that also penalises mistakes and is more difficult for the drivers, why not have the old BTCC qualifying - an out lap - fast lap to set Q time and in lap. The drivers go out in reverse champ order, and you send the next car out as the prevous car is half way round their in lap - so is continuous and the drivers get one shot and that's it.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3624373)   #67
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
If we want something different that also penalises mistakes and is more difficult for the drivers, why not have the old BTCC qualifying - an out lap - fast lap to set Q time and in lap. The drivers go out in reverse champ order, and you send the next car out as the prevous car is half way round their in lap - so is continuous and the drivers get one shot and that's it.
We tried that in the 00s didn't we? I seem to remember it being horrifically boring and drawn out.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3624375)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
in 04 and 05.

surprisingly or not surprisingly i liked it!
Old 19 Mar 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3624383)   #69
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At least they tried something different.Having seen it,can we have the old format back please?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 17:22 (Ref:3624395)   #70
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Whats next, having the spectators throwing water bombs at the drivers they don't particularly like? (Think of it as a reverse of Formula E Fan Boost), I call it Hateboost.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3624425)   #71
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Well, I decided to reserve my judgement until I'd seen it.

It was dull, confusing, unexciting and I think it utterly sucks.
Please bin it.

--

Maybe those rock hard Michelin tires that you could put on in January and put off in December - those that Mr.E didn't want - would have come in handily instead of this Pirelli **** that lasts for a single lap.

Last edited by gert; 19 Mar 2016 at 17:48.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 18:03 (Ref:3624437)   #72
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that was a shambles. The teams seemed clueless as to the rules and the required strategy, and the TV coverage wanted to focus on drivers trying to escape elimination except they'd already accepted their fate so we had long lingering shots of the pits, including a strange sequence focusing much too long on Button's helmet while he walked out of shot.

And then the system got a bit unlucky with Rosberg out of position after the first runs in Q3 so he had to go early to avoid elimination. I think Lewis had time to wait in the pits and see how Nico got on, but no doubt the team sent him out just to keep everything nice and equal even though waiting would have been the right thing to do. Except then we'd have had another minute of no action.

It was an interesting idea. It didn't work. But it still wasn't as ludicrous as the idea £cclestone had come up with. Maybe keep Q1 and 2 as is but I'd prefer not.

I know there's lots of obvious differences between F1 and MotoGP but this afternoon I watched two of their QP sessions which just had guys riding round and round as fast as they could developing the bikes as they go. It was excellent. That is how it's done.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3624452)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
was just having a look at the Melbourne GP wiki page.

looks like LH broke Schumi's 2004 lap record today!
Old 19 Mar 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3624458)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I missed Qualifying, so maybe the BBC will show it on iplayer. However reading the various posts, it looks like it was a complete anti-climax. Apparently it's going to be scrapped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35850766

Anyway, I see it's a Mercedes front row with Lewis is on pole, followed by the Ferraris, so despite the new format nothing's really changed.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 18:40 (Ref:3624462)   #75
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
...I think Lewis had time to wait in the pits and see how Nico got on, but no doubt the team sent him out just to keep everything nice and equal even though waiting would have been the right thing to do...
does anyone know how many Supersofts the Merc drivers have left?

NR may have had to use an extra set to get through Q1 and as you say LH used an extra allotted set in Q3 to put in an extra lap that turned out to not matter.

the rest all saved a set of the supersoft rubber (rather just used the free set available to Q3 drivers) so they may be able to pull out an extra stint on the faster compound tomorrow. Massa and Vertstappen i believe also chose to have an extra set of supersofts prior to the start of the weekend so they may be holding the real advantage.

all in all it was nice to see the teams struggle with the format change and i am hoping that the real excitement will be seen tomorrow...which ultimately is where it should be anyways.