Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:25 (Ref:3629905)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a great pass by Vandoorne. No DRS.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:33 (Ref:3629906)   #52
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry Frank - coming through.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:45 (Ref:3629911)   #53
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
o m g ! Haas 4 th . Still a ways to go.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3629914)   #54
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Entertaining race
Old 3 Apr 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3629919)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Nico on back to backs; the Rosberg juggernaut rolls on. What a solid drive by Vandoorne in his first GP and HAAS do it again, improving on Melbourne, with 5th. It would be nice to see both cars finish, soon.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 3 Apr 2016 at 16:49.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3630292)   #56
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marcus Ericsson: I can't get past the Manor. It's a rocket on the straights.

That's a first! Well done Manor.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3630335)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
must say im not to happy with Bottas taking a drive through for his first lap collision with LH.

not the best link but it looked as though LH was looking to go wide for turn one (possibly hoping for position at turn 2)but then went to the inside where he collided with Bottas...racing incident imo but Bottas took the penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvOColKc2MQ

anyone have a link to some other angles?
Old 4 Apr 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3630337)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
must say im not to happy with Bottas taking a drive through for his first lap collision with LH.

not the best link but it looked as though LH was looking to go wide for turn one (possibly hoping for position at turn 2)but then went to the inside where he collided with Bottas...racing incident imo but Bottas took the penalty.

Try this you get too see it from Bottas' car.

https://youtu.be/-6SRoaeLwes
Old 4 Apr 2016, 19:46 (Ref:3630339)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do hope that this discourages drivers from trying to overtake in the future (not that Bottas was!). Let this be an example to them all.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3630340)   #60
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In that video, which is a pretty fair representation of what happened as the camera is on Hamilton's car, it looks like LH had the line covered and had already move almost astern of Rosberg when Bottas came down the inside, and the impact appears to happen after LH has passed the apex and is actually straightening up to follow NR.

Not one to usually defend LH, but in this instance, having run and re-run that video, it's time out for Bottas.

Sorry, just seen the overhead video. My opinion does really change; Bottas was going for a space that didn't exist, and even if LH hadn't been there, Bottas' trajectory meant that he would have had pretty well four wheels over the red and white stripes. He miscalculated in the heat of the moment, and as they say, although you may not be able to win a race at the first corner, you can certainly lose it.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 4 Apr 2016 at 19:58.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 01:59 (Ref:3630627)   #61
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I cant help but thinking of that song
from 1968. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE
As you shouldn't. It was the inspiration for my sig....

jimclark
Old 6 Apr 2016, 02:23 (Ref:3630630)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
As you shouldn't. It was the inspiration for my sig....
Made famous by Mary Hopkin.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3630729)   #63
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Sorry to bring this up again, but Bottas has now admitted that it was his fault, that he braked too late, that he didn't expect the two Mercs to take such a tight line, and he also didn't expect them to brake as much as they did.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bo...rt-685173/?s=1
Old 6 Apr 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3630735)   #64
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
totally, and for sure that overhead clip changed my opinion of it (forgot to post that reply yesterday).

it looks like he was already sliding/going sideways before he made contact with LH so yeah he overcooked it for sure. good for Bottas for taking ownership of it.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3630738)   #65
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Made famous by Mary Hopkin.
We know...that's why canamman posted the link. See above (same page) post #61

Sorta borrowed from Mssr Gump, "That's all we need to say about that"

jimclark
Old 6 Apr 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3630741)   #66
jimclark
Veteran

United States
"good for Bottas for taking ownership of it."

'Sad commentaery on the plight of today, where we praise what used to be the norm, expected, and done without second thought. Now it's special to do the right thing, as opposed to being frowned upon for doing the wrong....

Last time, I promise ('til next time), see my sig....

Last edited by jimclark; 6 Apr 2016 at 16:31.

jimclark
Old 6 Apr 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3630742)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
We know...that's why canamman posted the link. See above (same page) post #61

Sorta borrowed from Mssr Gump, "That's all we need to say about that"
She didn't write it though.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3630743)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
did drivers always own up to their mistakes in the past?

some drivers no doubt did but i find it hard to believe that was the norm back then anymore then it is today.

added: i would agree though that drivers made more of an effort to avoid those types of first turn moves (late brake/win in the first corner mentality) as the risks were much higher back then so i do see your point...kind of silly for complimenting someone for admitting to behaviour they should have avoided in the first place.

Last edited by chillibowl; 6 Apr 2016 at 16:54.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3630753)   #69
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
She didn't write it though.
'Quite aware. 'Never implied otherwise.

Quote:
(1) did drivers always own up to their mistakes in the past?

some drivers no doubt did but i find it hard to believe that was the norm back then anymore then it is today.
Aaahhh youth ('presumption, of course, 'checked your profile to no avail).

(1) There are those of us here that remember (I'm in my 7th decade, been following all sorts of racing since the early sixties) that, no, drivers did not always own up to their mistakes. As stated above, it was the norm, however. Those that didn't, as stated above, were frowned upon. Most were gentleman; another value that is rapidly disappearing.

(2) Don't find it hard to believe. It was so. I have no reason to mislead you, and I am not mistaken.

jimclark
Old 6 Apr 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3630759)   #70
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Aaahhh youth ('presumption, of course, 'checked your profile to no avail).
not that young any more (39) but still younger than others.

but for sure my first hand knowledge only goes back to early 90's for F1 and 80's for other sports.

by that time money and global sponsorship deals combined with an increase in media coverage changed everything...i grew up learning and accepting that athletes are in it for themselves so 'competitive' became 'ruthless' and 'honour' became 'image'.

truth be told i am envious of those days gone by when athletes competed for more noble ideals.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3630764)   #71
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I also think that it's worth noting that in days gone by there were far fewer of these types of incidents. There was an etiquette, possibly unwritten, about driving and driving standards, and on the whole most drivers observed, no matter in what formulae that you were competing in.

For example, on the approach to a corner, if the following car had it's front wheels ahead of the rear wheels of the car in front prior to the point at which the cars needed to commence turning in, then the corner belonged to the car behind. And to a greater extent, this worked; there were, of course, exceptions because there are always a few hot heads around, or those who didn't care about the possible dame that may be inflicted on the car they were driving nor those of the other competitors.

There was also a lot more camaraderie between drivers and also between teams, again right through the various classes of racing. My first overall win came courtesy of my main competitor's mechanics who, in the pouring rain in a muddy paddock, helped my guys remove the gearbox and replace the flywheel bolts that had sheared at the end of qualifying. Oh, and they also supplied the special hardened steel bolts that they had had manufactured especially for them.

Back then we often shared the same facilities that the guys from F1 and F2 were using, and we often propped up the same bars swapping tales. None of this business of hiding in their palatial motorhomes, or jumping straight from the car into a waiting chopper to take them to their exclusive hotel with burly bouncers on the doors. I know I keep on about Hamilton, but he is probably the only current (or past) driver who feels that it is necessary to have his own personal body guards following him around inside the paddock!
Old 6 Apr 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3630772)   #72
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Definitely more eloquent than I.

jimclark
Old 7 Apr 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3630998)   #73
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Got round to watching the race today. Looks like the spare parts employees will be getting a bonus after that. And plenty of souvernirs for the marshals. Glad Bottas has held his hand up and explained it, I can believe him, he's not a dirty driver

Rosberg did a brilliant and Kimi at least kept him honest, although the debate about Vettel would have done will rage on until China

Haas, well I've just run out of words for their effort. Proves that a new team can make an impact. Speaking of which, how refreshing was it to see a Manor passing Force Indias and Saubers on merit? Wehrlein is no doubt helping, but the car is a lot better than last year. Hooray!

And an accomplished debut by Vandoorne, hopefully this will be a springboard to a full time ride and he won't be left on the sidelines like so many others.

Finally glad the quali format that never should have been changed is back to normal for China, unless they decide to 'give it another try' but looks like they won't this time