Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Sep 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2280499)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wheldon in at Panther

Following the news that Franchitti will be driving the #10 Ganassi next season, Dan Wheldon will be returning to the team he made his IndyCar debut: Panther. He will be driving the #4 car, replacing Vitor Meria.

Wheldon will also not be driving at the non-points race at Surfers for Ganassi but instead for Panther, so Dario could make his return this season!

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12431

Here's hoping Vitor gets a good drive. He's a very under-rated driver IMO.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 2 Sep 2008 at 23:20.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2280534)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Meira has driven for Rahal/Letterman previously in his career, only to be forced out due to a lack of funding. If Bobby's interested in fielding a second car again, I have to believe that Vitor has the inside shot at it. He certainly does not deserve to be the odd man out at the end of this game of musical chairs.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 02:56 (Ref:2280565)   #3
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true shame for Meira and for Wheldon. as much talent as Wheldon has it has to met halfway by the team, and recently Panther has not been an amazing outfit.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 06:14 (Ref:2280590)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the most important thing for the Series is not to lose talent, therefore Wheldon leaving Ganassi (where he's not done that much lately, to be honest) but going to Panther is good news; I strongly hope Meira finds a seat as well, no doubt he deserves one in IRL.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2280835)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd go along with the consensus here - Wheldon deserves a competitive ride, but so does Meira, and can Panther really offer one? Whether Meira or anyone else get a second Rahal drive will probably come down to funding. Maybe Luczo-Dragon will be a good option for Vitor if they go fulltime with 2 cars as planned?
Old 6 Sep 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2282809)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Wheldon deserves a competitive ride" - he won a championship, how quickly we forget that he is a champion in the Indy car Series... Good luck to Dan & Panther in 09
Old 7 Sep 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2283179)   #7
OpenWheel4ever
Racer

European Union
OpenWheel4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I'd go along with the consensus here - Wheldon deserves a competitive ride, but so does Meira, and can Panther really offer one? Whether Meira or anyone else get a second Rahal drive will probably come down to funding. Maybe Luczo-Dragon will be a good option for Vitor if they go fulltime with 2 cars as planned?
Yeah, that would be great to see Vitor with Luczo Dragon, teamming with Tomas- hope that happen next year!!
Old 8 Sep 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2284393)   #8
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Wheldon has lost a bit of the fire - and he's been completley unimpressive on road courses -- still, he's a talented driver, and I didn't think he'd fall this far -- I think that the Newman, Haas, Lanigan team will be strong next year. I wonder why they didn't find a spot for him. Does anyone think that a Wilson, Rahal lineup would be stronger than a Wilson, Wheldon lineup ?

Last edited by Bluewolf; 8 Sep 2008 at 08:18.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2284465)   #9
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Wheldon raced for the lead at Chicagoland.
Chip has been quite hard on him although I can understand the disappointment on road courses, especially if he is paying him so much a year...

I think he and Panther could win a race next year and I hope they do, although it will not be easy against TK, the Penske and Ganassi duo's.
If Dario was that fast at AGR, how quick will he be at Ganassi....?
Old 8 Sep 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2284719)   #10
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the series splitting itself more evenly between Ovals, Road and Street tracks i think Dan will need to raise his game on the latter if he harbors any hopes of another Championship win. I think Chip saw that during his tenure at Ganassi he had not fulfilled either of their expectations.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2285458)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and coming from england you would have thought that dan would be very good on the road courses - still, it is a very competitive championship with some darn good drivers.... P4 in 2008 with a couple of wins isnt exactly a bad season....
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2286027)   #12
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
Chip has been quite hard on him although I can understand the disappointment on road courses, especially if he is paying him so much a year...
I wonder how Panther can afford to pay him? They're not exactly the richest team around are they?
(Unless Dan agreed to take a salary cut)
Old 12 Sep 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2288297)   #13
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Wheldon won an IRL championship and the Indy 500. I am not saying that, therefore, he deserves a ride, but it would be an embarassment to the IRL not to have Dan in a seat.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2364489)   #14
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if he will ever win again it should be interesting
Old 7 Jan 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2366991)   #15
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will see Dan Wheldon on the podium this year for sure.

Its good to see Vitor Meira get picked up too. We may now see AJ Foyt Racing on the podium too.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2367074)   #16
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan
I think you will see Dan Wheldon on the podium this year for sure.

Its good to see Vitor Meira get picked up too. We may now see AJ Foyt Racing on the podium too.
I would be very surprised to see dan on the podium except maybe at indy where you just have to last the distance sometimes, with all the former champ car teams getting better and AGR, Penske and Ganassi it takes alot to get onto the podium
Old 8 Jan 2009, 04:52 (Ref:2367410)   #17
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
I would be very surprised to see dan on the podium except maybe at indy where you just have to last the distance sometimes, with all the former champ car teams getting better and AGR, Penske and Ganassi it takes alot to get onto the podium
I think Wheldon will get at least one top 3 next year. Perhaps he might be able to pull off a win. Panther are a good operation. Meira led a number of races this year in addition to his runner up at Indy.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2367414)   #18
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree nic that AGR, Ganassi, and Penske will dominate next year but you will see Wheldon on the podium before you see a former champcar driver.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2367698)   #19
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I feel the problem is Panther more than Dan. I see an oval podium or lucky win but road courses and he will struggle. Panther have lost their number one engineer who walked, have signed second tier Lights drivers to pay for Dan, have upset a number of people in the paddock for arrogance and Jon Barnes thinks he is Roger Penske for some reason. It all adds up to a poor showing and remember at Panther it is never the teams fault, always the drivers so Dan might get mighty hacked off pretty quick. I reckon also one certain Vitor Meira will look to beat Panther more than win after being fired in some rude and ungracious manner which sums up Panther. Good luck Dan but maybe the wrong team.