Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Sep 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2280415)   #1
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
bathceltic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
non championship race at surfers paradise 2008

Usually a good race, big discussions on whether next year's race will be on the calender, but does anyone know if sky plan to screen the 2008 race in the uk?
Old 3 Sep 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2280754)   #2
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No idea - have you asked them. Sky tend to be pretty quick at replying. What I expect them to say however is that they have no plans to at this time as they're not contractually obliged to take it - not being a part of the series as such.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2281155)   #3
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
Waiting for reply

Good suggestion, i have posed the question and await the answer.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2281240)   #4
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will probably depend on what sort of deal they can wangle with the V8SC (the Black Wiggle) people who produce the telecast. If it doesn't get good international exposure you can expect the Qld Govt and the local organisers to pull the plug permanently on the whole event. That would allow Tony George to get his way and make IRL a domestic only series while saying it's not my fault!!!!
Be an interesting clash of egos to get the two Tonys in a room discussing the future of the Surfers event.

Last edited by Oldtony; 3 Sep 2008 at 23:03.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2281798)   #5
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
No response yet

It has been 24 hours and yet to hear from sky sports but i like your logic, i also wondered if motors tv would at least show delayed coverage along with the v8 footage they normally show if sky are not interested.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2281850)   #6
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rumour mill is working over time in Surfers at the moement with rumour saying that not many teams are coming as its not worth their wait to come over just for a non-championship race.....

And whever it is on next year as well who knows?
Old 5 Sep 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2282095)   #7
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The teams will come. Panther are coming with Wheldon, CGR with Dario, Tags with Conquest (?) all confirmed yesterday during other announcements I believe. AGR I'm sure will come in some form (not sure I'd expect 4 cars though). All of the transition teams will surely come because they know the circuit and would like to get one over on the legacy IRL guys. Not sure I'd expect PCM, Fisher or Roth though but I'd have thought Derrick Walker might bring a car for the heck of it. I'm not on the ground there but from what I'm reading I'd be suprised if there was a problem.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2282534)   #8
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
No news

No word from sky sports, (i had to say whether or not i was a subscriber so I was honest and said yes through cable (virgin) but i would be surprised if they held that against me! ) So maybe someone else could ask them? I hope we get a full or near full field and it would be good to see the teams and sponsors being encoraged by good tv exposure world wide as it has the potential to be a really good race.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 01:18 (Ref:2282645)   #9
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the info Mystery. None of the news about who is coming seems to be filtering through to us here on the Coast, so consequently there is a bit of an air of gloom about the event.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2282753)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see the grid being slightly better in quality than it was in 2007, but probably worse than all other IRL events this year. Hopefully Sky Sports will show it (although I'd be watching it via the delayed highlights on Five), but it comes down to how impressive the grid is, and how cheaply the coverage can be arranged - even with a full grid it wouldn't get as many viewers as a championship round, and the appeal of seeing Dario and Dan debut with their new teams will only really hit those who would've watched it anyway.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2283378)   #11
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you had an answer yet bathceltic ?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2283814)   #12
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
No JamesRamone but i will fire another email off to sky sports and get back on the forum as soon as i get a reply.They may well say something at the end of tonights coverage but if they avoid mentioning it that may well mean that no decision has been made and Sky maybe dependent on a friendly host channel. If I have no luck watching tonight and no response on Monday i will email motors tv, and be rest assured that I will immediately share any info.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2284348)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confirmed delayed coverage to be shown monday after the event.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2284929)   #14
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4pm the Monday after. Great news !

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 8 Sep 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2284994)   #15
bathceltic
Rookie

Isle of Man
Good news

That is good to know and hopefully it will be a good full field and a cracking race.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2285552)   #16
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathceltic
That is good to know and hopefully it will be a good full field and a cracking race.
I'd expect a good field but I don't know about a full one.

All my guesses only.....

Penske*2, CGR*2, AGR*3 (my guess, 2 wouldn't suprise me, 4 would), RLR*1, Panther*1, Foyt*1, Vision*2, D&R*1, KVRT*2, Conquest*1, NHL*2, Coyne*1, HVM*1, Walker/Forsythe*1/2

So that would be 21 but possibly 20-23. Not a bad turnout. You sure won't get the 28 we had in Chicago (and how cool was it to have a field that size by the way!!)
Old 10 Sep 2008, 04:12 (Ref:2286214)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think hitting 18 would be perfectly respectable, with any above that being a delightful bonus.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2286361)   #18
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I remember reading somewhere that a field of 24 has been confirmed...but the exact entries still haven't been. I'd expect to see something like this:
Penske-Castroneves/Briscoe
Ganassi-Dixon/Franchitti
Andretti/Green-Kanaan/Patrick/Andretti/Mutoh
Rahal/Letterman-Hunter-Reay
Panther-Wheldon
Newman/Haas-Wilson/Rahal
KVR-Servia/Power
Dreyer & Reinbold-Rice
Vision-Foyt/Carpenter
Conquest-Tagliani/Camara
Coyne-Junqueira/Moraes
HVM-Viso
Foyt-Manning

That gives us 23. Where that last car would come from I'm not too sure though. Dreyer & Reinbold possibly. Could Panther run 2 cars? Maybe even a 5th Andretti/Green car for Matos as a little present for winning the Indy Lights title. If Forsythe or Walker are serious about going full time next year then it might be a good idea for them to try to have this as a bit of a dry run for them. I'd be surprised if they were that organised though...

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 10 Sep 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2286372)   #19
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
I think you will find that the figure 24 comes from the airfreight contract rather than the teams. As I understand it that is the number that the organisers have to pay the frieght and crew expenses for in terms of the Qld Govt/IRL contract. It's up to IRL to scratch around and fill the planes. By the way there are at least 2 CART cars already floating around down here, but I guess they would not be eligible. Still it isn't a points race,
Old 13 Sep 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2289003)   #20
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the organizers have arranged to have 24 cars transported to Australia for the race. This will be all the full-time teams.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2290072)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is correct, or atleast that is what has been written down here.

Looking to sure up 09 and beyond aswell
Old 15 Sep 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2290652)   #22
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heard that DTM may replace Indy Cars in 09 because the Gold Coast want to keep the October date
Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2290765)   #23
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
Heard that DTM may replace Indy Cars in 09 because the Gold Coast want to keep the October date
DTM???? Nah - doubt it somehow. A1 most likely as the dates fit well. Even GP2 Asia would be more likely.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 02:06 (Ref:2291405)   #24
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they get dtm or a1 gp,dont think they will be as good as the champcars were,think it will be a differnt astmosphere.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2291498)   #25
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Intriguing suggestion by the Black Wiggle. His claim is it would be the two top tin top series in the world togeter on the same weekend. Wonder what NASCAR thinks about that statement?
Didn't do his homework though because DTM already has an event scheduled for that weekend.
I wonder whether the IRL cars will look as good along the beach as the CART cars did? They are a bit ugly and the road circuit performance seems a bit off. Maybe it is time to tell Tony G where to go and organise an alternative.
Looking forward to October and hoping the pointy nose horrors can prove me wrong.