Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Jan 2000, 01:17 (Ref:6860)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What do you folk from up north know about Nascar in Australia? From talking to many of you over several years im of the opinion the answer is not much.
Old 17 Jan 2000, 01:21 (Ref:6861)   #2
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was not aware that it even existed until several years ago Kevin Schwantz (former F1 motorcycle champion) got his start in NASCAR racing in Australia.
Old 17 Jan 2000, 01:34 (Ref:6862)   #3
Lee Roy
Rookie

Lee Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that there were a few races there in the late 1980's. Are there still NASCAR races in Australia? We don't get any information on it here.
Old 27 Jan 2000, 18:39 (Ref:6863)   #4
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be cool if some Holdens & Falcons can race at Daytona...

I'd also like Trans-Ams to race at Batharus! That's 1 race I'd love to do...

America & Australia are very simular in racing, they should join up more often.
Old 4 Feb 2000, 22:54 (Ref:6864)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would LOVE it if Speedvision would broadcast/carry some V8 Supercar races!!

Yeah, it would be cool to see some four door sedans heating up the track!!
Old 9 Feb 2000, 19:25 (Ref:6865)   #6
MR_MRee
Rookie

MR_MRee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CrashTest
Australian Superspeedway racing gets very little coverage here in the US.I cant claim to be an expert on NASCAR downunder,but I do have a little bit of knowledge.

Stockcar racing came to Australia
in 1988.It is the brainchild of tire mogul and former Aussie racing star Bob Jane who owns the primary track for the events,the Calder Park Goodyear Thunnderdome.The Thunderdome is a one and a half mile dog leg oval and a replica of the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Charlotte,North Carolina,USA,and is Australias only banked speedway.

Three well known american drivers have scored victories in Australia;Morgan Shepard,thelate Neil Bonnet and two time Winston Cup champion Terry Labonte

Superspeedway is made up of six divisions.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>NASCAR-1:Patterned after NASCAR in the USA using production model American cars.It is the top class
<LI>NASCAR-2:Uses the same engines and drive trains as N-1,but allows older body styles making it more affordable.
<LI>Auscar:Similiar to the NASCAR Busch series,sort of.Made up of Australian production cars the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon all turns are right handers.
<LI>Sportsman:This division could be called Auscar-2.All older style Fords and Holdens not eligible for compettion in Auscar.
<LI>HQ Holden:Holdens only with only a few modifications of the factory configuration.
<LI>Legends:The same as the Legend cars in America.5/8 replicas of the cars from NASCAR's early days with motorcycle engines as powerplants and fiberglass bodies.
</UL>
Since many of the Aussie races are held during the NASCAR,USA off season I dont understand why no one has had the foresight to televise some of those races here.With American race fans going into withdrawl symptons from a lack of a racing fix,they shold attract a sizeable audience.I know I would tune in.

[This message has been edited by MR_MRee (edited 09 February 2000).]