Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Apr 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2861607)   #51
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldn't Kimi have the $$ to field a customer car himself? just hire out KBM staff!
Old 10 Apr 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2861613)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
wouldn't Kimi have the $$ to field a customer car himself? just hire out KBM staff!
In those sort of ventures it's always better to use someone elses money.
Old 13 May 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2879945)   #53
KimiFan
Rookie

KimiFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Räikkönen to make history

Quote:
Kimi Räikkönen will make motorsports history next Friday as he makes his debut in the NASCAR series at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Never before has an F1 champion driven at the circuit during its 52-year history.

Räikkönen is the fourth NASCAR pilot, with F1 title in their resumé. Mario Andretti competed at the circuit in question behind the wheel of a NASCAR, but that was 11 years before he took the title in Formula One.

The two-time F1 champion Jimmy Clark participated in one NASCAR GP at the Rockingham Speedway. Jacques Villeneuve on the other hand, took the title once back in 1997 and afterward raced in 13 NASCAR GPs, but never at Charlotte.
Source: RacingNewsFlash.com

I also read somewhere earlier that former Finnish F1 driver Mika Salo is also going to start later this year at NASCAR. Salo also said that Kimi's goal in the first race should be not to retire. I think he is right!
Old 13 May 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2879978)   #54
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
NASCAR GP?
Old 19 May 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2882585)   #55
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perky Jerky anyone?

http://jayski.com/schemes/2011/truck...mpingworld.htm
Old 20 May 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2883139)   #56
f1toy
Racer

f1toy is a back marker
kimi picked a great place to begin his nascar career.

c.m.s is very demanding.

he had a dirty diaper moment this morning in practice.

jpm was giving him some tips on something, prob on the draft, or maybe on making nice nice with the media.

hope he takes the checkered. even a few laps down would be a good run.
Old 20 May 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2883199)   #57
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His truck is driving terrible right now. Still too loose and they're trying to tighten him up. He wont last a full race distance that loose

I hope this doesnt discourage him. NASCAR like any professional sport has a steep learning curve. He needs to log laps right now and see how adjustments affect the car and how the tires feel over a run. As f1toy said just finishing the race will be an accomplishment.

He's mentioned he wants to run the Nationwide race next week. Mentioned Cup racing as well. Also mentioned he has no motorsports commitment next year...possibly hinting at full time NASCAR next year?

He doesnt need to get discouraged, he'll pick it up in time, I was very impressed with his truck control watching him in practice. He just needs as much seat time as possible
Old 20 May 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2883244)   #58
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is gonna suck if he misses the race. the truck he is in (#15) didn't run all the races, so no locked in spot. It's a huge field of attemptees too.
Old 20 May 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2883265)   #59
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Watching qualifying now, and he has just made his run. He made it in. Great job for him and the team.
Old 20 May 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2883270)   #60
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow this truck race seems to be getting more media attention than the Indianapolis qualifying this weekend, boy how times have changed.

Looking forward to see how he does, this is a really tough oval to make your debut, so I doubt we will see much from him tonight. Still though, its a learning experience.
Old 21 May 2011, 02:27 (Ref:2883350)   #61
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
So, evaluate his performance?
Old 21 May 2011, 02:46 (Ref:2883351)   #62
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Raikkonen talks about Cup, may run Nationwide race soon: Kimi Raikkonen, who makes his NASCAR debut tonight in the Camping World Truck Series, spoke to the media Friday for the first time, indicating that he would like to run in Cup later this year and also hinting that if things go well tonight, he might drive a Nationwide car next weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Raikkonen, the 2007 Formula One champion, is driving for Kyle Busch's team tonight. Raikkonen made it through both practice sessions Friday morning without any major incidents (he did scrape the wall). He ranked 30th quickest among 36 drivers in the first practice session and was 30th among 37 drivers in the final truck practice session. Raikkonen, who is slipping his NASCAR events in between rally races he's scheduled to do, said he wanted to come to NASCAR because "I want to try different things. I was interested to see how it is. I don't have any plans for next year in anything I do. If I completely suck, there's no reason to come back. Hopefully, it goes better than today.'' As for his NASCAR schedule this year, Raikkonen said: "I'm looking at this weekend and hopefully next weekend I'm here. Then after that, there's no real plans yet. Hopefully, I can get to run some Cup races that would be nice. There's not awful lot of planning. I'll try to do the best now and see what happens.''(Virginian Pilot)(5-20-2011)
Old 21 May 2011, 03:13 (Ref:2883354)   #63
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Wow this truck race seems to be getting more media attention than the Indianapolis qualifying this weekend, boy how times have changed.
ROFL won't Danica be annoyed!!

finally someone who can drive out of the box is getting some attention...
Old 21 May 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2883356)   #64
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Passed with flying colors.

Minimal damage, stayed out of trouble and finished on the lead lap in 15th

Not bad for such minimal experience.

Track conditions were terrible and he did well.

The speed will come...if he is serious. Hopefully he doesnt believe he can show up whenever he wants and run up front. Montoya was determined to be a successful NASCAR driver and because of that he is a good NASCAR driver now.

If Raikkonen is serious he needs to run Nationwide full time next season. Run the cup cars at the restrictor plate tracks and the road courses. Then find a team for a full time cup ride in 2013.

If he makes big strides he can go Cup next year. Problem is he doesnt have a "Ganassi" like Montoya did to overlook a bad rookie season or to provide a quality car.

50/50 if he fails or succeeds in NASCAR, but tonight is a step in the right direction
Old 21 May 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2883357)   #65
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was absurd...no one should be able to do that in their first speedway race, especially at Charlotte, when so many others with much more experience and knowledge of the track ran into trouble in what was described often by the drivers as "chaotic".

He sure didn't mind driving deep into the turns ; found the cliff several times but kept it together.

Good stuff, Kenny!
Old 21 May 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2883503)   #66
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fieldodreams- you have the current Best AvAtar ever! Macho Man +1.
RIP Randy.

back to Kimi.
he did well, seeing as it was a skating rink out there. he had a very good high spot, and kept it together, Funny how you saw his driving get shaken up in packs of trucks and when bumping happened.
maybe he was just getting out of it, but compared to OvalMiester Kyle Busch, who won the race, and Ron Hornaday the way the trucks were grazing the walls and bumping and just had to keep a foot in it. I have enormous faith in Raikkonen's ability and watching him race in a totally weird environment and come out well is very cool. He got so much air time, i might have to try Perkyjerky- although it sounds disgusting.

of course Kyle busch- he really is that good isn't he?
Old 21 May 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2883553)   #67
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think "The Kimster" did a great job and it was lot's of fun to watch..

Kyle Busch is darn good...
Old 21 May 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2883573)   #68
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Next stop: the Nationwide race at Charlotte next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport.com
Kimi Raikkonen is set to move a step up in his NASCAR transition next week by making his Nationwide series debut at the Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91606
Old 21 May 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2883604)   #69
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Next stop: the Nationwide race at Charlotte next week.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91606

Again, will be interesting to see how he gets on there...probably more Cup whackers and entirely different vehicle altogether. From what I saw, I would expect more of the same; going hard and a solid finish, unless he runs into trouble...

Has he been in a NW car yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
Fieldodreams- you have the current Best AvAtar ever! Macho Man +1.
RIP Randy
Oooh, yeeeeah!
Old 21 May 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2883621)   #70
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Kimi has sampled a NW car yet, but at least he'll know the track and as Kyle Busch says in the article the NW cars should have a softer tire with more grip.

I reckon he'll get a top-20 finish at least.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2884606)   #71
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Impressive
Old 23 May 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2884714)   #72
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Has he been in a NW car yet?
Nope, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tested him at Rockingham this week.

And FOD, Best. Avie. Ever
Old 24 May 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2884868)   #73
Holt
Veteran

United States
The #87 he will drive has finishes of 12th, 19th, and 16th its last 3 races. So its not a top ride but certainly not a junk car.

I think a top 25 finish and finishing the race will be the best he can realistically hope for.

Montoya qualified 10th and finished 28th at his first 1.5 mile oval in a nationwide car which was his 2nd career start in NASCAR. Part of the reason for the bad finish was because of damaging the car after brushing the wall

We'll see how Raikkonen does with a softer tire and more experience at the same track.

But to me its so funny how this saga resembles the movie "Days of Thunder" so much. Open wheeler goes NASCAR, amazes everyone in testing but struggles in the races early. But in the end he gets it and starts winning

Reigning Nationwide champ Keselowski fires warning shot
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...aikkonen-debut

Last edited by Holt; 24 May 2011 at 01:21.
Old 24 May 2011, 03:01 (Ref:2884901)   #74
f1toy
Racer

f1toy is a back marker
kimi blew everyones mind. that just happend
Old 24 May 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2884960)   #75
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
The #87 he will drive has finishes of 12th, 19th, and 16th its last 3 races. So its not a top ride but certainly not a junk car.
A NASCAR.com article suggested Kyle Busch Motorsports has prepared the car so it's probably a bit better than the usual #87 car. Also, the cooperation with the #87 team came about because KBM currently doesn't have a license to field cars in the Nationwide Series.