Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 22 Jan 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3192716)   #26
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as i'd love it, I can't see it happening. You're not going to get them over here in he middle of the season, so that rules out Feb - Nov. They're not going to come in January cos they're too busy testing. That leaves December, and I can't see Nascar being enthusiastic about coming all the way over to Europe in December whe the likelihood of races being washed out/iced out/snowed out would be very high.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3192719)   #27
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
if Nascar were to leave their shores, that would be the coolest thing ever. after doing the UK scene then down here, no ovals but we do have Bathurst which they ran a few decades back, only just found out that they raced here and they looked pretty quick for such heavy car, didnt last too many laps but it looked pretty mean. would like to see Ambrose back at the Mountain.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3192767)   #28
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other problem with the longer road courses, I find, is that NASCAR doesn't use many local yellows. When you go full course yellow on a 4-mile track with stock cars, it takes a very, very, very long time as they need to do a minimum number of laps for pitting. Road America's NNS race is my least favorite to watch on TV simply because the full course yellows are agonizingly long and many of them could have just been local.

So, if NASCAR wants to run these huge, iconic road courses in Europe, they need to think about that. Otherwise, I'll take a shorter track.

Knockhill has my vote, of course.

The cars aren't built for tight corners, but we like Martinsville and the hairpin at Montréal, don't we? Part of the appeal of stock cars is seeing them do things they're really not supposed to be doing...drivers get "creative."
Old 22 Jan 2013, 16:02 (Ref:3192772)   #29
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For purely selfish reasons (being that it is my local track ) I'd love to see them at Donington. It would be a great sight to see them go down the Craner Curves. Not sure many of them would be able to get it stopped and turned in time for the Old Hairpin, but it'd be fun to try it.

There's a lot of things they'd need to work out before it happens, not least scheduling and considering what the weather may be like (for that reason alone, Spa and Nurburgring are probably not the best bet!) but if it did happen, and it happened in the UK, I'd definitely turn up out of curiosity. I suspect that it would draw a decent crowd too.

Jacques Rabbit is right about one thing though - access. For example, one of the BTCC's strong points is the free access to the pits and paddock, and the ability to easily meet the drivers too. There's other forms of racing that visit UK circuits and offer a similar thing too, so I think NASCAR would be right to allow free access to the paddock, or at least make it quite cheap.

Anyway, hope they can work something out for this to happen rather than it just being a rather pointless quote that isn't going to lead to anything.
Old 22 Jan 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3192892)   #30
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put them on the Monza banks!
Old 22 Jan 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3192950)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
Put them on the Monza banks!
That would be awesome, but wouldn't the environmentalists object to the noise of 40 plus stockcars hurting tree's ears or something?

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 22 Jan 2013 at 23:48.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3192984)   #32
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
That Monza banking is ornamental at this point. The cost of restoring that would be prohibitive and disruptive and that's not even counting the political and bureaucratic hurdles to leap over. And for what? A race that might only be scheduled for two years.

Why wouldn't they use the normal Monza track. They could make space in the summer for that.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 03:23 (Ref:3192998)   #33
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
NASCAR has money, they can help foot the bill :-P

I do think if it was restored it would see action, but it's likely only a pipe dream
Old 23 Jan 2013, 04:43 (Ref:3193017)   #34
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, I would like to see few NASCAR events in proper circuits once but I still beleive that NASCAR should mainly stick to ovals, because that is what the car is designed for and that what defines the sport. Going to Eurpo is a good step I think.

If they include more road circuits then what is the difference between the American Iron race and NASCAR going to be????!!!

Most people - including me previously - "say" that Ovals are boring - NOT TRUE, in fact attending oval event is a non-stop action, seeing cars passing by at 200+mph when they are few inches far from each other takes some brave guts.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3193118)   #35
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Driver View Post
Honestly, I would like to see few NASCAR events in proper circuits once but I still beleive that NASCAR should mainly stick to ovals, because that is what the car is designed for and that what defines the sport. Going to Eurpo is a good step I think.

If they include more road circuits then what is the difference between the American Iron race and NASCAR going to be????!!!

Most people - including me previously - "say" that Ovals are boring - NOT TRUE, in fact attending oval event is a non-stop action, seeing cars passing by at 200+mph when they are few inches far from each other takes some brave guts.
The thing is, these cars - as was alluded to previously - are the most entertaining when out of their comfort zone. See the road courses, where the car clearly isn't as stable as it is on ovals and thus making the drivers work to keep it on the black stuff!
Old 23 Jan 2013, 11:17 (Ref:3193173)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The smartalecs in Europe opened ovals in northern countries where it's wet all year around.

There's probably a short-track somewhere warm that I can't think off of the top of my head.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3193187)   #37
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
or Thruxton - now that would be interesting (although if they fell of the circuit at Church you'd never see them again).
Sure you would. On the side of the A303 on your way home!

The oval at Lydden is still active isn't it? How many cup cars could you fit round there?
Old 23 Jan 2013, 13:32 (Ref:3193233)   #38
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
The oval at Lydden is still active isn't it? How many cup cars could you fit round there?
Old 23 Jan 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3193240)   #39
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really Nascar, but...

http://news.brandshatch.co.uk/nascar...speedfest.aspx
Old 23 Jan 2013, 14:27 (Ref:3193261)   #40
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'd like Donington or Knockhill, but if someone made me choose one; Spa it would be.
I agree with that. Another one could be Slovakiaring and it's mid-straight jump
Old 23 Jan 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3193268)   #41
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I agree with that. Another one could be Slovakiaring and it's mid-straight jump
The outer perimeter of the Slovakiaring could actually be used as a Pocono-like oval, though there's obviously the right-hand kink going into what would be turn one (the kink coming out of the final corner on the actual circuit).

Would be kind of interesting to see an oval with elevation change like that...
Old 24 Jan 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3193689)   #42
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Would be kind of interesting to see an oval with elevation change like that...
You may rethink of Fuji Speedway... If the Japanese finished the oval section, it would have a unique feature by having elevation!

Back to topic, I'm glad that UK is getting into the NASCAR spirit... But I wish their cars are draped like their road car counterparts, and not having a common body with stickers!
Old 24 Jan 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3193734)   #43
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather the Monza banking not be restored - leave it how it is for history's sake. Some things, like the original Nurburgring as well, are best left untouched.

Quote:
But I wish their cars are draped like their road car counterparts, and not having a common body with stickers!
Isn't that essentially what they've moved towards with the Gen 6 cars for this year?
Old 24 Jan 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3193930)   #44
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Isn't that essentially what they've moved towards with the Gen 6 cars for this year?
Yes, it's exactly what they did.

If they race well enough, I'll get up at 7 AM to watch them when they're in your neck of the woods, too.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3193982)   #45
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
I'd rather the Monza banking not be restored - leave it how it is for history's sake. Some things, like the original Nurburgring as well, are best left untouched.

It would be nice to see cars runs the full monza track again, that banking is just so bad ass. Plus the original ring was pretty modified when the GP-Strecke replaced the sudschleife.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3198544)   #46
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
about this Euro NASCAR series, where can we watch the races, been looking for them on Youtube, they look like another series I could get into.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3198612)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
YouTube channel The longest videos are 13min.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 08:44 (Ref:3198978)   #48
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
YouTube channel The longest videos are 13min.
cheers big ears
Old 12 Feb 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3203786)   #49
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
That Monza banking is ornamental at this point. The cost of restoring that would be prohibitive and disruptive and that's not even counting the political and bureaucratic hurdles to leap over. And for what? A race that might only be scheduled for two years.

Why wouldn't they use the normal Monza track. They could make space in the summer for that.
Right... Monza and Spa would be the two best options in Europe.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3204023)   #50
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Right... Monza and Spa would be the two best options in Europe.
Lausitz and Rockingham...actually.