Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Mar 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1874582)   #51
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are there not a fair few weekends with clashes though?

I'm unsure on the schedule, but I thought last year Busch ran at Memphis whilst the Cup went to Atlanta or Martinsville or somewhere like that. So I'm just thinking that there may be similar happenings this year as Busch does not always run at the same places as Cup.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1874595)   #52
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Harvick managed it last year, didn't he? I presume Chip has a team helicopter or plane?
Old 23 Mar 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1874616)   #53
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure I read he was only doing weekends where the races were not clashing on different tracks.

I hope I am wrong.
Old 24 Mar 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1874952)   #54
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The issue is does Ganassi have someone quickenough to qualify the car when Montoya can't make it
Old 24 Mar 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1875156)   #55
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'm sure I read he was only doing weekends where the races were not clashing on different tracks.

I hope I am wrong.

I read something simular , it was pre season when i read it , That Montoya would only race Busch races where they were at the event as the Cup races + extra ones like the Road courses like Mexico etc .
Old 25 Mar 2007, 21:57 (Ref:1876240)   #56
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is Montoya by the numbers 5 races into the 2007 NEXTEL Cup season:

Misc achievements/stats:
First top-10 start: 2nd race, Fontana (started 9th)
First top-5 start: 3rd race, Las Vegas (started 4th)
First pole: N/A
First top-10 finish: 4th race, Atlanta (finished 5th)
First top-5 finish: 4th race, Atlanta (finished 5th)
First victory: N/A
Average Start: 20.2
Average Finish: 20.8
Series Rank: 19th (3 ahead of David Ragan for top rookie)

Road course numbers:
Sonoma: N/A
the Glen: N/A
Average r/c start: N/A
Average r/c finish: N/A

Short track (less than 1 mile) numbers:
Best short track start: 36th, Bristol
Best short track finish: 32nd, Bristol
Average s/t start: 36
Average s/t finish: 32

Intermediate track (1+ miles) numbers:
Best intermediate track start: 4th, Las Vegas
Best intermediate track finish: 5th, Atlanta
Average i/t start: 10
Average i/t finish: 13.5

Superspeedway (2 miles and up, unrestricted) numbers:
Best superspeedway start: 9th, Fontana
Best superspeedway finish: 26th, Fontana
Average s/s start: 9
Average s/s finish: 26

Restrictor plate (Daytona & Talladega) numbers:
Best restrictor plate start: 36th, Daytona
Best restrictor plate finish: 19th, Daytona
Average r/p start: 36
Average r/p finish: 19

Last edited by Knowlesy; 2 Apr 2007 at 14:01.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1881601)   #57
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is Montoya by the numbers 6 races into the 2007 NEXTEL Cup season:

Misc achievements/stats:
Average Start: 20.6
Average Finish: 20.0
Series Rank: 16th (3 ahead of David Ragan for top rookie)

Road course numbers:

Best short track start: 23rd, Martinsville
Best short track finish: 16th, Martinsville
Average s/t start: 29.5
Average s/t finish: 24.0

Average i/t start: 10
Average i/t finish: 13.5

Summary: Improved both his best qualifying and race result for a short track and also moved up 3 spots in the NEXTEL Cup standings.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 16 Apr 2007 at 16:37.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1882613)   #58
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another solid enough race from JPM. Maybe a little to blame for that incident with (insert whoever he tagged here), but overall a good drive. Hopefully he can finish inside the top 15 in the standings, maybe even push for a Chase spot!
Old 3 Apr 2007, 12:09 (Ref:1882653)   #59
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_kyle
Another solid enough race from JPM. Maybe a little to blame for that incident with (insert whoever he tagged here), but overall a good drive. Hopefully he can finish inside the top 15 in the standings, maybe even push for a Chase spot!
I think a top-15 finish in the final standings is a very realistic goal and since the Chase has been extended to the top-12 I do believe he could have an outside chance at making it. It won't be easy, especially since several of the regulars with slow starts are bound to improve as the year goes on, but considering how well Montoya has done so far it might just be possible.

As for the next handful of races it'll probably be a mixed bag in terms of results - here's my take on the next five:

I pretty much expect him to do well at Texas, seeing as it's fairly similar to Atlanta in terms of layout and banking. The track surface isn't as seasoned as that of Atlanta, which he'll have to adjust to, but a top-10 should definitely be a possibility nonetheless.

Phoenix - which is the next race with the CoT - could probably go either way, but since he has a fair amount of experience on low-banked ovals from his Champ Car days (which includes victories at tracks such as Rio, Chicago, Nazareth and Milwaukee) think he'll do well if they get a good handling on the car. Hard to say, but I'll say he scores a solid top-15 finish.

One race I'm really looking forward to is Talladega. It's the first track where he has previous race experience (albeit in an ARCA race, but race experience nonetheless) and it seems he is quite comfortable working the draft and running in big packs with the right mix of aggressiveness and patience to do well. If he can avoid the Big One and doesn't get hung out in the later stages I wouldn't be surprised if he scores a great result here.

Darlington is another race for the CoT. Montoya himself called the Lady in Black "a nightmare" and obviously doesn't expect to have an easy time. Could probably go either way, but I have a feeling he'll struggle a bit and finish around 25th or so. Oh, and don't be surprised to see him collect a "Darlington stripe" or two as the race goes on

Richmond will be a second straight race with the CoT and I think Montoya will do better here than he did at Bristol since Richmond isn't as tight. I reckon he'll have another solid run, finishing around the top-15 or so.

Now hopefully I'll nail at least one of those predictions...

Last edited by rustyfan; 3 Apr 2007 at 12:15.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1882785)   #60
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I keep wondering how well this rookie would do in a Hendrick or Gibbs car. I'd say he'd have a fair chance at making the Chase.

Still, can't complain, it's been pretty good so far! He's what, 16th in the standings now? Top effort. Must keep it going though.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1892580)   #61
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
SPOILER WARNING: DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU PLAN ON SEEING A DELAYED BROADCAST OF THE RACE FROM TEXAS!

This is Montoya by the numbers 7 races into the 2007 NEXTEL Cup season:

Misc achievements/stats:
Average Start: 20.0
Average Finish: 18.2
Series Rank: 13th (10 ahead of David Ragan for top rookie)

Road course numbers:

Best short track start: 23rd, Martinsville
Best short track finish: 16th, Martinsville
Average s/t start: 29.5
Average s/t finish: 24.0

Average i/t start: 12
Average i/t finish: 11.6

Summary: Scored his second top-10 of the season (and his career) and moved up 3 spots in the NEXTEL Cup standings.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 01:25 (Ref:1893521)   #62
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To answer the original question.....
"puttin' yo' ass in the fence!"
And winning a race or two.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 03:11 (Ref:1893544)   #63
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i now expect jpm to make the chase.
hes right in the in the hunt and hes only going to get better.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 15:44 (Ref:1893907)   #64
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pa' delante Juuan!

The fact is that Juan has not dissapointed.
Just look at what he has done so early in the season . . . his first season.

For me as a fan it has been a treat seeing him enjoy himself and being very patient - in a profesional way - as he learns the ropes.

Best part is, that as the season rolls, he is feeling more at ease and is stating to "stamp his mark" on the track- sort of speak.

If I could talk to him I would say: "Thanks Juan Pablo, you are doing your thing and we your fans are enjoying the ride.

Vamos Juan!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 17:35 (Ref:1894024)   #65
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I second that!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1894185)   #66
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by race aficionado
The fact is that Juan has not dissapointed.
Just look at what he has done so early in the season . . . his first season.

If I could talk to him I would say: "Thanks Juan Pablo, you are doing your thing and we your fans are enjoying the ride.

Vamos Juan!
Absolutely !!!!.... its been so enjoyable .

As the season goes on he can only learn more and more . Its a pleasure to see him enjoying his racing again .
Old 18 Apr 2007, 14:15 (Ref:1894735)   #67
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM is a great dirver, but so are many others in Nascar and they have much better teams. Ganassi has a total of 5 wins in 591 Nascar races, something less than a barn burner. I see JPM finishing no better than 15th in the standings.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1894814)   #68
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That's the unfortunate truth regarding Ganassi.

What I want to know is, will the team grow with JPM or will JPM be offered something elsewhere, would he jump ship?

I personally feel Ganassi are edging a little higher than previously, but it is clear they still have some work to do as they tend to make mistakes on pit road and sometimes struggle on setups. Having said that, they aren't the only Dodge users to suffer this problem.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 01:05 (Ref:1895186)   #69
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, he would jump ship in a heartbeat if offered a ride with HMS, Gibbs, Roush, or RCR.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 06:23 (Ref:1895232)   #70
Jason99m
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Jason99m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be intresting to see how he would go in a HMS car, hes doing better than Casey Mears did lin the 42 last year, what could he be doing in the 25? I think he has given the Ganassi team a big boost, I hope they can sustain it, a race win or 2 is definitely not out of the question and it may come on an intermediate track not a road course as most people predicted. He just needs to keep away from anybody called Tony
Old 19 Apr 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1895289)   #71
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That's the thing though, I'm not sure Montoya would jump ship (this is all presumptious stuff, he is unlikely to get an offer from Hendrick at this stage of his fledgling career!).

Ganassi gave JPM a lifeline and he has enjoyed his greatest years with them. Surely he wouldn't ditch Chip, not for many years at least?

Then again, he left Williams in a heartbeat!
Old 19 Apr 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1895569)   #72
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Juan would jump ship as he did with Williams unless there were personal "ego' frictions in Ganassis team that would make Juan's life miserable.

Juan has made it very clear that he is in it for the long run and his relationship with Chip is an asset that he is making well use of.

All we now hope for is for Ganassi's team to come up with a car that will allow Juan to be battling it with the front runners and I wishfully think it is going to happen eventually.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1900124)   #73
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya's been fined and placed on probation until Dec 31 because of an "inappropriate gesture" during practice at Phoenix.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1900859)   #74
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Montoya's been fined and placed on probation until Dec 31 because of an "inappropriate gesture" during practice at Phoenix.
This is a "Classic" from the good old days in Nascar:
http://members.aol.com/winstongal/hinascar.htm
Old 26 Apr 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1900893)   #75
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
According to his explanation, he has been trailed round all year by a camerman making a documentary about his switch back to the US and, when he spotted this camera he, naturally, thought it was for that programme and ,was just having fun' when he slipped him the finger. Unfortunately the camera wasn't recording part of his documentary, it was broadcasting live across the network! Good old Juan

Still think that the 10k dollar fine was ridiculously over the top though It's not like h accused the officials of fixing the races, eh Tony...

Tags
jpm