Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Jun 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3416221)   #1
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Jim Craik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadillac Northstar LMP

Hello,

My name is Jim Craik, a few months back, I purchased one of the six, 2000 Cadillac LMP carbon monocoques. This is chassis #00-002, one of the DAMS cars.

This chassis only ran in a few races during the 2000 season, it was one of the black Motorola cars, #4, 2000 Le Mans and was then damaged in a fire. The fire melted some of the carbon in the lower left, but per Riley & Scott, the alum core is not damaged and can be repaired.

What I have is the monocoque, with fuel cell, steering rack, master cylinders, firewall with engine mounts, shifter and all front suspention mounting brackets.

Does anyone here have have or know someone who has info/data on these cars, the other chassis and parts.

Thanks in advance, Jim

I have some photos in the Chassis History Archive section, but I cant figure out how to move them here, sorry.

Last edited by Jim Craik; 6 Jun 2014 at 15:42.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3416228)   #2
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like you have already been in contact with Riley & Scott. Have you contacted DAMS or any of the drivers, engineers, mechanics? Jon Fricker at Wayne Taylor Racing looks like a good person to start with. Perhaps Wayne Taylor as well.

http://www.waynetaylorracing.com/team/

Cool project!
Old 6 Jun 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3416232)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Can't actually help but i did see them race in le mans and also have a scalectric set with the car,
Old 6 Jun 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3416328)   #4
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Would be nice if you can get it restored, beautiful car it was!
Old 6 Jun 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3416334)   #5
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 6 Jun 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3416339)   #6
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Sounds like you have already been in contact with Riley & Scott. Have you contacted DAMS or any of the drivers, engineers, mechanics? Jon Fricker at Wayne Taylor Racing looks like a good person to start with. Perhaps Wayne Taylor as well.

http://www.waynetaylorracing.com/team/

Cool project!
Hi Racer,

I have not yet contacted Riley & Scott, the info I have is from a report made after the fire, Le Mans 2000. The team then kept 00-002 as a spare.

I have sent an email to DAMS, but I have not heard back. I also spoke to a guy in Apple Valley CA, who has 00-004.

My chassis only ran in the 2000 races and was the first body style with the large NACA ducts on each side.

As I understand most of the other cars were modified to 2001 spec, with a number of mods, including a different radiator location and slightly different bodywork.

The last ones, the 2002 cars were completely different.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3416378)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You should contact Mike Fuller or Mulsanne Mike. He's on here or the Mulsanne Corner Facebook page.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3416451)   #8
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to have enthusiastic people for that brilliant car. Nothing I can offer to help but all the best wishes are for you and the work!
Old 7 Jun 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3416685)   #9
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Jim,

I laid that chassis up! Email me and I might be able to help you out.

mike@mulsannescorner.com
Old 7 Jun 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3416703)   #10
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Jim,

I laid that chassis up! Email me and I might be able to help you out.

mike@mulsannescorner.com
Hi Mike,

I can't wait to talk to you, I have sent an Email....
Old 8 Jun 2014, 00:44 (Ref:3416757)   #11
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr. Craik,

You realize that by having posted here you have now obligated yourself to posting a complete photo history of the rebuild ....

We are all eagerly awaiting news of progress on the project. Hope it is very satisfying for you and proceeds smoothly to completion.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3416786)   #12
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a very interesting chassis you've picked up. I remember watching Le Mans on TV that year and the car catching fire very early in the race and burning for a long time. I'm really surprised the chassis is still around.

Are you planning on restoring the car to running condition? I always wonder what happens to these cars once they are retired. I see a few of them turn up at vintage racing events but I'm sure a lot of them just end up in storage for many years.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 04:47 (Ref:3416792)   #13
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Good to have enthusiastic people for that brilliant car. Nothing I can offer to help but all the best wishes are for you and the work!
Thank you, that means alot....

Good luck next weekend!
Old 8 Jun 2014, 04:50 (Ref:3416793)   #14
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Although I live in the Silicon Valley, I'm sort of a 20th Century kind of guy.....

I have a couple of chassis photos in the Chassis History Archive section, but I can't figure out how to move them here, does anyone know the trick?

Last edited by Jim Craik; 8 Jun 2014 at 04:55.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3416839)   #15
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could just copy them here, such as ...

(from this post of Jim Craik)

(from that post of Jim Craik)
Old 8 Jun 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3416915)   #16
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
That's a very interesting chassis you've picked up. I remember watching Le Mans on TV that year and the car catching fire very early in the race and burning for a long time. I'm really surprised the chassis is still around.

Are you planning on restoring the car to running condition? I always wonder what happens to these cars once they are retired. I see a few of them turn up at vintage racing events but I'm sure a lot of them just end up in storage for many years.
Yes, I also remember the fire, Race# 4 (00-002) was credited with only eight laps, so it was very early in the race. On YouTube there is a Japanese vidio showing the efforts to extinguish the car, its kind of painful to watch.....

But then again, an undamaged, complete car would be out of my price range....

As I understand the story, a few years ago, this chassis was sold to a guy in Western Australia who planned to modify it into a track car with a Viper V10. His plans changed and fortunately no mods were carried out.

He mentioned in the GT40s.com web site this is was available and I was able to convince the wife that we needed this very beautiful and fairly significant car.

I do plan/hope to return this beauty to a runner/historic racer and have started the process. That said, it's going to be a fairly slow process as I really enjoy being married

Last edited by Jim Craik; 8 Jun 2014 at 14:41.
Old 8 Jun 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3416939)   #17
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dude, after you finish the car you can get married again!

Seriously, wish you well with this project. Hope to see it at some track somewhere some where in the future.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3417583)   #18
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For what its worth the engine was supplied by TWR in oxfordshire, it was basically a turbocharged version of the chevrolet IRL engine, I remember the intake system was horrendously bent and screwed up all in the name of a decent aero path to the rear wing.......I remember stumbling upon the CAD data when I wporked at TWR 10 years ago.......I seem to remember that Nigel Stroud was bought in in order to save the project as the R&S efforts were not providing the on-track results, I believe he used his sea of UK engineering contacts, one of them was a well known independent chassis designer based in the Norfolk area, I remember going to his design studio (for BTCC project) and seeing photos of this Cadillac LMP900 that he had in his garden after it was dropped off for evaluation - as you do, I have just dug out my old note books and his name was Jim Router, pm me if you want the e-mail and phone number I have, he was an ex team lotus design engineer who also did a lot of chassis design for VanDiemen, but he may well have been under NDA, so might not be able to talk about it.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3417593)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hate to be pedantic but the 4L Northstar would have been branded and Oldsmobile Aurora engine in the IRL.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3417603)   #20
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Craik View Post
Yes, I also remember the fire, Race# 4 (00-002) was credited with only eight laps, so it was very early in the race. On YouTube there is a Japanese vidio showing the efforts to extinguish the car, its kind of painful to watch.....

But then again, an undamaged, complete car would be out of my price range....

As I understand the story, a few years ago, this chassis was sold to a guy in Western Australia who planned to modify it into a track car with a Viper V10. His plans changed and fortunately no mods were carried out.

He mentioned in the GT40s.com web site this is was available and I was able to convince the wife that we needed this very beautiful and fairly significant car.

I do plan/hope to return this beauty to a runner/historic racer and have started the process. That said, it's going to be a fairly slow process as I really enjoy being married
To be fair the car was crashed into the pit wall in the warm up session, just a couple of hours before the start of the race and with the mechanics managing to rebuild it so quickly it could take the start, it was suspected something was not attached or fixed properly, causing an oil line to burst or come apart and set the car on fire. It stopped just after the second chicane on the Mulsanne straight, drivers right at marshals post 63 who tried to put the fire out. Problem was the electrics were still on leaving the fuel pump to do it's job - and with the car rapidly being engulfed with flames there was hardly a chance for the marshals to get close to the car and put it out - one even tried to 'smack off' the kill switch with his knife - which broke the blade! At least the driver made it out safely (young Kristian Kolby if I am correct).

Must have been 15-20 minutes or so into the race, causing the Safety Car to make an early appearance and showing again the fragility of the Caddilacs as the undertray of one of the SC's came off and went for a flight - again! (the scene already being witnessed earlier in the week when they made several showings before and between practice sessions).
Old 9 Jun 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3417606)   #21
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watched a Youtube clip about Cadillac LMP. And I was surprised by the sound. Never heard it before so I thought it had a cross plane V8 sound muffled by the turbos. But it had an Audi R8 like (relatively) low revving flat plane sound.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3417638)   #22
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Hi Guys, thanks for the input....

A couple of things on the motor, I have read in several places that the motors were the smaller Olds Aurora blocks and that they were built up by "McLaren".

One other thing, in my investigation into these cars, I did read in at least one place, that these motors had a rather strange turbo set up. Per this one article, only six of the exaust pipes whent through the turbos, with two of them going straight into the exhaust. Could this be true?

I do not remember hearing this anywhere else......it seems like the kind of this we would have heard about.

I suppose it could help low end power and certinally would give a strange exaust sound.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jim Craik; 9 Jun 2014 at 16:38.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3417645)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Craik View Post
Hi Guys, thanks for the input....

A couple of things on the motor, I have read in several places that the motors were the smaller Olds Aurora blocks and that they were built up by "McLaren".
I thought they were built by Ilmor, but Knighty says otherwise, so I don't know. My understanding was that these were the same or similar to the IRL engines which were the 4L. I'm not sure if the 3.5L "Shortstar" ever raced anywhere?
Old 9 Jun 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3417684)   #24
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I thought they were built by Ilmor, but Knighty says otherwise, so I don't know. My understanding was that these were the same or similar to the IRL engines which were the 4L. I'm not sure if the 3.5L "Shortstar" ever raced anywhere?
I think IImor is the rebranding of Mclaren North American division, which produced M8F and M20 for Can-Am. Guys bailed them out after Mclaren withdrew.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3417742)   #25
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have no inside knowledge of Cadillac's LMP but this thread has been very entertaining to read. Helps keep me sane while sitting delayed at the airport...