Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Dec 2016, 10:16 (Ref:3695471)   #1601
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in hindsight and given what we know now, is it still fair to call Nico a team player?

if F1 is a team sport and we know what the mechanics sacrifice each year to aid their driver, then how admirable is it that Nico left one year early and only after he accomplished his dream of individual victory?

he left his team and his side of the garage in a massive hole...for sure fair play to Nico for retiring but im not sure he still qualifies as a team player.

this is of course not to say that LH is a better team player or anything, rather, just saying that both these guys have been playing at the same game.
Yes it is a team sport, and some are more of a member than others.

Rosberg was on a hiding to nothing, knowing that his opposite number would never lend him support, and that if he thought that this year was highly pressurised, then next year was likely to be even more so.

Please don't forget that at Monaco, Rosberg was unintentionally backing Hamilton up because he could get no further pace from his car. The pitwall team requested that Rosberg let Hamilton through, and within just one corner, he let him pass. Rosberg didn't have to do that as I don't believe that that is in his contract (unlike, let's say the second driver's contracts at Ferrari during the Schumacher years), but Rosberg did it for the team without regard to his own points standing.

And this is one of the things that initially annoyed Paddy Lowe and Toto Wolff at Abu Dhabi. Hamilton, likely, would not have been in a position to challenge for the WDC at Abu Dhabi without that generous move by Rosberg in Monaco.

And now that Rosberg has the WDC, he doesn't need to have to put up with Hamilton's behaviour anymore. While Rosberg fulfilled his commitments for the team and sponsors after the last race, Hamilton backed out of his, claiming for the third time this year, that he wasn't well enough to test for the team.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3695476)   #1602
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
........ While Rosberg fulfilled his commitments for the team and sponsors after the last race, Hamilton backed out of his, claiming for the third time this year, that he wasn't well enough to test for the team.
that's a bit rich given Rosberg had signed a contract 4 months ago through to the end of next year, and promptly, as soon as it suited him, broke it.
Appalling behaviour.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3695484)   #1603
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Appalling behaviour.
Is it, really? There's an awful lot of emotive language being used to describe the behaviour of both the drivers involved, and the team's actions, over the last few months.

Strikes me we might all need a little perspective. Appalling behaviour would be punching someone in the pit lane, or driving them off the road, or badmouthing a sponsor, or something that's *actually* appalling.

Breaking a contract? That's a business decision. There's always the possibility that Nico might have had to pay to leave but we're unlikely to ever know that, nor should we. Sure, Mercedes F1 might feel a tinge of corporate disappointment that they only have one golden goose right now rather than two, but let's get one thing clear: teams break contracts too of which there are too many examples to list.

Disappointing? Sure. Appalling? I don't think so, just business.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 11:41 (Ref:3695486)   #1604
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year I have broken the habit of 60 years buying Autosport and become a subscriber to the web version but I picked up a hard copy this week for various reasons. It contains the F1 Season Review and in a long piece Ed Straw analyses Rosberg's decision and season. This piece more than anything I have read on the web made it clear to me just what a major effort it has been for Rosberg to reach his goal.

What the piece did for me was to further enhance the admiration I have for the very best performers in our sport.

Old 12 Dec 2016, 11:44 (Ref:3695487)   #1605
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Appalling behaviour.

Why isn't Mercedes holding his feet to the fire and making him drive next year? Oh, either he likely has an escape clause, or more likely Mercedes knows you can't force someone to perform at a top level if their heart isn't in it. Not to mention the team always has options to terminate if they want. It takes two to make things work and the situation and health of that changes from moment to moment. Who is not to say Rosberg didn't sign an extension in good faith and then after the grind and pressure to the end of the season, plus ultimately him achieving his goal caused him to think? Do I really want to do this again? And for what? Kudos for him for walking away when he felt it was the right time.

Is it unfortunate for Mercedes? Yes. Is it some type of moral or ethical failing by Rosberg? No. Will Mercedes survive? Yes.

I see these comments as those who don't like Lewis as a chance to bash him and the same for those who don't like Rosberg.

Richard
Old 12 Dec 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3695530)   #1606
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
that's a bit rich given Rosberg had signed a contract 4 months ago through to the end of next year, and promptly, as soon as it suited him, broke it.
Appalling behaviour.
The good thing about the UK is slavery is illegal, so he doesn't have to work for someone if he doesn't want to. That's not what a contract is really designed to do.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3695555)   #1607
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosberg's behaviour for not honouring his contract is appalling....that's funny! Rosberg not being a team player because he retired is hilarious!

Will Merc sue Rosberg for breach of contract? I don't think so. People retire all the time and we should be happy for them.

One thing for sure Nico has done as a result of his retirement. He sure has lit up this forum! It is usually real slow this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 Dec 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3695562)   #1608
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Other than that, he's just a three time WDC. Must have just got lucky and had his 'head in the right place' once or twice over the years.....
He didn't face much of a challenge from Rosberg last year and when Rosberg started his streak of wins from Mexico onwards, Hamilton pretty much had it in the bag.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3695576)   #1609
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

I see these comments as those who don't like Lewis as a chance to bash him and the same for those who don't like Rosberg.

Richard

Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You're right, people would have unfairly slated Lewis for doing it. But that doesn't make it fair to slate Rosberg for it.
That - I buy. It's balanced......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He didn't face much of a challenge from Rosberg last year and when Rosberg started his streak of wins from Mexico onwards, Hamilton pretty much had it in the bag.
Jeez, the guy has been so lucky. Perhaps the FIA should strip him of his titles on the basis that no one driver should benefit from such outrageous jamminess as it's patently unfair to all his competitors and wholly against the spirit of sportsmanship and jolly good chappery on which modern day F1 is fundamentally based.....
Old 13 Dec 2016, 02:34 (Ref:3695682)   #1610
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in hindsight and given what we know now, is it still fair to call Nico a team player?

if F1 is a team sport and we know what the mechanics sacrifice each year to aid their driver, then how admirable is it that Nico left one year early and only after he accomplished his dream of individual victory?

he left his team and his side of the garage in a massive hole...for sure fair play to Nico for retiring but im not sure he still qualifies as a team player.

this is of course not to say that LH is a better team player or anything, rather, just saying that both these guys have been playing at the same game.
How fair would it be for Nico to return to his side of the garage with his heart not fully committed to the task with his mechanics beating their brains out trying to give him the best car possible?

Would a top footballer choosing to retire after winning the Premiership with his team be considered a lousy teammate for choosing that moment to retire? If I were one of the mechanics I would rather appreciate the driver being honest enough to say "I cannot give my all, so therefore I am standing down" as opposed to him circulating at 98.9% with the rest of the team wondering what is wrong.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 03:14 (Ref:3695688)   #1611
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think generally in team sports that doesnt happen very often. typically you do tell your locker room in advance that you are retiring and you do discuss with your club so they can send you out in style. it motivates your team and shows love to your fans....plus it sells merchandise.

we just saw this with Massa and Button, two drivers who i would say are considered the model of what a good team player is.

but my point wasnt to put Nico down or call him selfish (apologies if it came out that way) but more to highlight that he had this plan to retire for a while now. so i do think how he retired should change the way we look at how he handled this season.

imo merc would not have supported his title challenge if they knew he was going to retire so Nico did what he had to do. he worked his team just like his team mate works his team. for sure more in hindsight with Nico but i wouldnt describe either merc driver as a team player this season.

i dont think this makes Nico a bad guy or anything...actually i think it makes him pretty darn smart.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:55 (Ref:3695798)   #1612
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
How fair would it be for Nico to return to his side of the garage with his heart not fully committed to the task with his mechanics beating their brains out trying to give him the best car possible?
can confirm that being on the receiving end of the "not really bothered" attitude when you're sweating your bum off getting the car out for them is a huge kick in the teeth. because you have to keep working at 100% knowing full well that they're not going to TRY 100%. but if you stop working at full pace things go wrong and it gives the driver something to really moan about...
Old 13 Dec 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3695822)   #1613
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
can confirm that being on the receiving end of the "not really bothered" attitude when you're sweating your bum off getting the car out for them is a huge kick in the teeth. because you have to keep working at 100% knowing full well that they're not going to TRY 100%. but if you stop working at full pace things go wrong and it gives the driver something to really moan about...
Same with children and karting - I spent hours on end prepping the karts, for very little thanks! And last time, "I don't really feel like going out in this session"...

On the other hand, it's a job*, I get on with it. * unpaid.

How about this one? My boss resigned a month ago, so the company I work for decided to close the entire office, making everyone redundant. But I don't blame my boss - it's his life to do with as he he sees fit. Just like I don't blame Rosberg, or anyone who makes life choices for their own benefit. We are, after all, a very selfish species on the whole.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3695879)   #1614
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Rosberg's heart wasn't prepared for another title shot and I applaud him for being honest. Mercedes wouldn't want a driver who would rather be somewhere else, so they haven't argued the point too much
Old 13 Dec 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3695911)   #1615
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reading all the posts and various articles regarding Rosberg's retirement, it seems to me the fun had gone out of racing in F1 for him and therefore as he had realised his dream and become WDC, it was time to quit.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3695918)   #1616
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It seems to me that he doesn't quite have the standing Hamilton does in the team. No harm, no foul that's just the way group dynamics naturally unfold.

Hamilton is a little faster; Hamilton is a little more commercially-friendly.
The prospect of busting a gut trying to overcome Hamilton again having already achieved the WC is just a challenge he didn't want and didn't need. Every year we live is precious, so he just decided to spend an extra year doing something else. Noone has died, Mercedes will get on alright without him.