Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 1 Aug 2002, 16:39 (Ref:347946)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buying my first Mini - any advice?

Well, the time has come for moi to part with my cash and buy a second-hand Mini as my first car - I'm looking to pay around £600. Any recommendations for years/models? What should I look for? What are big no-no's? Any help is MUCH appreciated!!!

Old 1 Aug 2002, 17:35 (Ref:347976)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
My advice is simple - DON'T! Minis are unreliable, mechanically over-complicated & rust horrendously. You can do much better at the price you want to pay.(That will endear me to the Mini fans! )
Old 1 Aug 2002, 18:02 (Ref:348007)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't be tempted by a rusty newer model over a sound older one, just because it has some 'toys' Mr Fan.

You can add gizmos and gadgets later, but it'll cost you a fortune to replace rusty structure. Trust me, I'm on my 33rd!

Avoid 850 and 1100cc models, and make sure it doesn't smoke, rattle or leak (too much - they all leak!! )

A rusty subframe isn't a disaster, but if the mounting panels are mushy it could be expensive. Also, make sure the tyres don't have funny wear patterns. A sure sign of accident damage or severe wear on the radius arm pins.

Oh, make sure it doesn't jump out of gear on over run. Accelerate in second, and without touching the gear lever, see if it stays in gear when you decellerate. Costly if it does.

You should be able to find a pretty good 80 to 89 model with little rust, low miles and a full MOT for your money.

Enjoy your search! If you need advice, give me a shout.

And ignore Mr Brand
Old 2 Aug 2002, 06:55 (Ref:348348)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The post-'84 cars have disc brakes at standard. Other than that, it's just a case of finding the least rusty one.

And whilst a Mini is probably not the best car you could buy for 600 notes it is definitely the most fun.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:17 (Ref:348393)   #5
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One trick I picked up is to check the floorpans. Lift the carpet in the front footwells and give them a good prodding. Also check the inner sills (the bit running parallel with the bottom of the door on the inside of the car - check this again with the carpet lifted) and the outer sills all the way round from the bottom of the door to where it turns under the car.

Also give the inside of wheel cavities a good prod where the water sprays up from the wheel: the front bulkhead panel for the front wheels, and the seat-back panel for the rear-wheels.

Do check the state of the rear subframe as Sparky said. Although not the end of the world, it is a big job if you want to do it yourself.

Also avoid one that looks like it's been tarted up too much - it's likely to have been ragged and is now on its way out. And *do* pay attention to the oil light. Don't take any bobbins about 'oh, it's just the sensor'...

And finally (phew), listen to what your gut says. If you smell a rat, walk away - don't be tempted into taking it out of desperation.

Have fun!! I really wish I could get another Mini

Oh, and I agree with Sparky about Dave B's comments
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:24 (Ref:348443)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best advice from a previous owner of two Minis...

Take Sparky looking with you.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:36 (Ref:348563)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would you buy a Mini off Sparky?

Welcome back Sparky! Haven't seen ya around here in a while

I've always wanted a Mini (heck, I'm already a member of the local Owner's Club) but after all this... ekkk!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:44 (Ref:348573)   #8
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't be frightened Crash, the Australian built Mini is a lot better than the rust boxes that they have in England.
Rust in a rear subframe??????? Never seen it! (that will upset the poms, but it is true about the Aussie Mini)
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:47 (Ref:348578)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is that because it rains 24/7 in England?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:49 (Ref:348580)   #10
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is the salt on the fish and chips!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:55 (Ref:348588)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't remember rust being a problem in either the 850 or the Cooper S.

Lack of power was a problem in the 850. Lack of universal joints that would hold together was a problem in the 1310cc Cooper S.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 13:21 (Ref:348680)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Look for sills and floorpans filled with:

chicken wire
polyfilla
beaten out Coke cans
newspaper...

Don't do what a friend of mine did and cram a Metro Turbo engine under the bonnet of a Mini City. It's not big and it's not clever. Especially if you don't change the badges, seats, wheels, brakes....

However, it IS alot of fun - especially when you absolutely destroy a fully race prepped 1400 Clubman. I'd like to say that this little contest did not take place on the public road and threaten the safety of other innocent road users. I'd like to say that, but I can't....
Old 7 Aug 2002, 22:10 (Ref:352676)   #13
Sparky
Veteran

Well then, Minardi fan?

Did you buy it?

Is it any good? Any chance of a photo or three?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 22:37 (Ref:352687)   #14
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's currently sitting not too far from our race cars - it's blue with a white roof, bonnet stripes and arches, C reg, just resprayed and MOT'd, mechanically sound, 11,000 miles from new....

just waiting for payment and collection
Old 7 Aug 2002, 22:44 (Ref:352690)   #15
Sparky
Veteran

Too close to Voggie and you know what'll happen!
The 'Miniardi' will grow a cage and race numbers!

11,000 miles? Wow. Like a new car...
Mark, take good care of this little car!