Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Feb 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3803435)   #1101
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just guess to know how insane could be this value for F1 petrol.

BTW, I made another quick calc. to predict power output levels of gibson NA engine.

I took as reference 2014-2015 toyota 3.7L that had about 560hp power output according to rumors. In 2014, 6MJ class had 89kg/h fuel flow.
To get that power level, efficiency had to be 40% (quite reasonable for a heavily tuned engine derived by a >10 years old motor platform)

(89 kg/h * 42 MJ/kg * 0.40) / 3.6 = 415kw -> about 560hp.

Considering that gibson 4.5L should be a revised and updated version of the old zytek 4.5L lmp1 engine; let's set a 40% fuel efficiency too.

(110kg/h * 42 MJ/kg * 0,40) / 3.6 = 513kw -> about 685hp.

Almost 40hp less, just in theory of course.

As I speculated some time ago, with the same fuel flow rate, a real equivalence between turbo and NA powered private lmp1 is just utopy. For sure there will be some kind of sub-bop.

BTW making some other calc. to achieve the rumored 600hp from ICE porsche and toyota turbo engines had to be in the range of 47% efficiency with a 80kg/h fuel flow rate.
Actually don't know how much likely could be this value.... as far I know only mercedes f1 v6 is close to that value in racetrim.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3803436)   #1102
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...atens-category

"We realised that there could be a situation where the existing rules could be a block on some entries or projects," he told Autosport.

Hey Vincent, once again it's called NOT GIVING UP TO EVERY GOD DAMN LOBBY DEMAND, BUT ACTING LIKE A MAN INSTEAD.

But who cares of existing rules right? Just make them up!

I repeat this time after time - but so do the ACO so I think it's only fair - that this is what you get when you cater your customers like kindergarten children and go with the "everybody wins" ideology. You cannot hurt anyones feelings in this day and age (well at least those with more money and/or political influence than others), so people expect to receive everything they want, because "that's we're used to!" That started in 2011 with the pro-am + cost-cap + non-development tech freeze format, expanded in 2012 when LMP1 was killed off from the ELMS to have lower category artificially automatically winning, and then obviously nail in the head with the all-spec / [French] cartel-constructor deal recently. After that, the 2018-"joker" EVO allowances for 3 of the 4 brands for the sake of equal "fairness". Now with these special dispensation waivers (also affecting P1 and P3) they're taking one step closer to becoming GTE-like "whatever goes" system, although not quite as bad

Last edited by Deleted; 23 Feb 2018 at 16:54.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3803447)   #1103
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everytime I read efficiency, my mind whirls. The figures for the Nissan if correct are impressive, and I'm assuming those figures include the fact that the engine is turbocharged (efficiency goes up due to recycling energy that would otherwise be wasted). If that 42% efficiency was due to combustion alone, holy heck, that's an achievement! This is going to be the challenge of the EoT. I don't know how there's anyway around it but the naturally aspirated engines are by nature at a disadvantage vs a turbocharged engine (thermal efficiency wise)

Then there's the fact that in the end the horsepower figure that matters are at the rear wheels - not the engine. which then gets into the mechanical losses through the drivetrain, transmission etc. That's efficiency too.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3803478)   #1104
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found a post by japanese samurai where revealed fuel efficiency of
ts030 V8 3.4L and ts040 V8 3.7L. First was 40%, the latter about 40.5% as I speculated.
Considering that both are revised version of a really old engine, it's not so unbelievable that nismo and cosworth achieved 42-43% for their v6.

Guess that porsche and toyota engines are in the range of 45%.

Anyway, here is it a question:
knowing that ACO lmp2 have a 75L fuel tank and consume about 70L in 40-42 minutes.... is it possible to estimate their average fuel flow rate?

I tried making a simple mathematical proportion:
70L : 40m = XL : 60m.
X = 105L per hour, that means an estimate 79kg required per 1 hour.

Surely I'm doing something wrong, because to achieve 600hp from a 79kg/h fuel flow rate it means that basically gibson lmp2 has a slightly better efficiency than porsche and toyota. Impossible.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3803483)   #1105
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Just found a post by japanese samurai where revealed fuel efficiency of
ts030 V8 3.4L and ts040 V8 3.7L. First was 40%, the latter about 40.5% as I speculated.
Considering that both are revised version of a really old engine, it's not so unbelievable that nismo and cosworth achieved 42-43% for their v6.

Guess that porsche and toyota engines are in the range of 45%.

Anyway, here is it a question:
knowing that ACO lmp2 have a 75L fuel tank and consume about 70L in 40-42 minutes.... is it possible to estimate their average fuel flow rate?

I tried making a simple mathematical proportion:
70L : 40m = XL : 60m.
X = 105L per hour, that means an estimate 79kg required per 1 hour.

Surely I'm doing something wrong, because to achieve 600hp from a 79kg/h fuel flow rate it means that basically gibson lmp2 has a slightly better efficiency than porsche and toyota. Impossible.
So it must be a higher flow rate? It's difficult to figure out especially because were not sure if the teams are getting all the fuel used and if there's inconsistencies between the engines.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3803487)   #1106
canaglia
Veteran

It must to be higher of course; if we take as reference 42MJ/kg like lmp1 E20 fuel and a 40% efficiency, to get 600hp would be required about 95kg/h.

(95 * 42 * 0.4) / 3.6 = 443kw

is gibson lmp2 engine able to achieve a so high efficiency?
who knows.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3803495)   #1107
tomerswayler
Racer

tomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtomerswayler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you correct the calculated average flow of 79kg/h for the Lmp2 class by dividing through the full throttle percentage of maybe 80% at Le Mans, you arrive at a figure similar to the 95kg/h in your last post.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:39 (Ref:3803996)   #1108
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LMP1 return for Benoit Treluyer?

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/t...n-lmp1-return/
Old 26 Feb 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3804115)   #1109
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
He'd be an amazing asset to Manor or BR. Fingers crossed he finds a seat.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3804286)   #1110
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/r...n-wec-program/

RE might do WEC next year but more importantly this was kind of amusing to read:

“We are currently working on [securing] hardware because it requires much more than a Formula 2, which is very sharp and close to Formula 1,” Orleans-Borbon said. “It takes more material to run an LMP2 than a Formula 2."
Old 27 Feb 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3804380)   #1111
Deleted
Veteran

https://www.fia.com/events/world-end...e-championship

I didn't realize TOTAL, the seemingly million year long title sponsor for SRO Spa 24 Hours, had inserted itself into the sponsorship of Spa 6 Hours for the next two years as well. Not counting Sebring 2012 ALMS integration, is that the first WEC event title with added sponsor tag

As a side note, I like the "TBA" in the circuit space below 1500 miles of Sebring lol. Almost as good as Sarthe being titled "Le Mans Bugatti" in last year's FIA version
Old 27 Feb 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3804381)   #1112
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some of the Bahrain races were the Bapco 6 Hours of Bahrain. State-owned oil company.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3804394)   #1113
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Some of the Bahrain races were the Bapco 6 Hours of Bahrain. State-owned oil company.
Were they marked as such in the official event calendar?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3804399)   #1114
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think so. The ones that stand out for me are Bahrain was listed as Bapco, and Spa was always different too.

6 Hours of Silverstone
6 Hours of Fuji
WEC 6 Hours of Spa
Bapco 6 Hours of Bahrain.

I think that's what they officially were. I think.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3804403)   #1115
Deleted
Veteran

After the old 1000km format was demolished in favor of 6 hours, they had (well "had") to change the Spa title to WEC 6 hours, because there is another 6 hour event held at the circuit as well. But now they have title sponsor for the event so no need anymore

Anyway I hadn't noticed any other event ever getting out of their generic 6 Hours of X title, but then again I have not been paying particul attention for number of years now
Old 1 Mar 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3804882)   #1116
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some tyre variety in LMP2 this season. Dragonspeed switch to Michelin.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...rogrammes.html
Old 1 Mar 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3804895)   #1117
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who thought that this was a good design?
Old 1 Mar 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3804925)   #1118
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
https://www.fia.com/events/world-end...e-championship

I didn't realize TOTAL, the seemingly million year long title sponsor for SRO Spa 24 Hours, had inserted itself into the sponsorship of Spa 6 Hours for the next two years as well. Not counting Sebring 2012 ALMS integration, is that the first WEC event title with added sponsor tag

As a side note, I like the "TBA" in the circuit space below 1500 miles of Sebring lol. Almost as good as Sarthe being titled "Le Mans Bugatti" in last year's FIA version
Another 'typo' (?) is the date listed for the 1500 miles of Sebring: March 16, 2019 - the 16th is Saturday, Sunday (as the race is planned to start at midnight) is the 17th.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 23:14 (Ref:3805326)   #1119
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Who thought that this was a good design?
That rocks, I love it.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 02:03 (Ref:3805342)   #1120
Deleted
Veteran

It's trash, but doesn't really matter.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3805463)   #1121
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Very modern. Good flat design with distinctive colours. I like it.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3805513)   #1122
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would look good on the front of a t-shirt.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3805516)   #1123
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I quite like it too......
Old 3 Mar 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3805518)   #1124
canaglia
Veteran

Nothing special... the real magic inside is how ACO can however create hype for a season with 3 races less during the 2018 year.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3805736)   #1125
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Like the big letters, don't like the color.