Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2930056)   #176
timarnold
Rookie

timarnold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttley View Post
.....is that after you've re-bent it back, welded the two halves together, invested heavily in fibreglass and filler and lots of blue paint !!!!!
It now has a new chassis and new body in dark blue gelcoat, no paint, no filler.

Quote:
If I was allowed to upload pics i'd finish this thread off properly and show without question the best looking FF, the Angeline Jolie of FF, beautiful patina that gets better with age, sleek, powerful, mean and probably a great ride if you know what yer doing
So not the best looking one then?

Quote:
(how many years to i have to be a member before i can upload pics?)
You don't "upload" pics to the forum, you "hot link" them from another location. You either upload your own pics to a hosting facility such as say Flickr or to your own website (as I do) and you display them in your posts by putting the full URL of the pic between BB code image tags like this:

HTML Code:
[img]http://timarnold.com//images/stories/jc-cadwell.jpg[/img]
...or you click on the "insert image" icon and paste the full URL of the pic in there! It's not rocket science!
Old 9 Nov 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3329337)   #177
john n
Rookie

john n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reynard Formula Ford 1600

I was the owner of the first production Reynard FF1600 (1994/95) and provided the finance to Adrian Reynard to build the second production chassis in 1995 for David Heale

The gearbox/engine from my Oscar F69 was used for the Reynard FF75 photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/86889596@N05/8480991409/ Would be glad to know where this one is as I lent it and was not returned

My company was also the owner of a Merlyn Mk 25

You maybe interested in these links
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86889596@N05/8481970542/
http://youtu.be/3QanIrUWVD4
http://youtu.be/hwrzaiYAvP4
in Spain
http://youtu.be/Xv9vTYtyLjc
in Portugal
http://youtu.be/ApJYPdZbvT8

still have Reynard FF88 / Reynard FF89 and Van Diemen RF86

Last edited by john n; 9 Nov 2013 at 14:07.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3329356)   #178
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john n View Post
I was the owner of the first production Reynard FF1600 (1994/95) and provided the finance to Adrian Reynard to build the second production chassis in 1995 for David Heale
Should these be mid '70s and not mid '90s dates ?

My two favourites were the Van Diemen RF84 and the Royale RP26.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3331822)   #179
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[I always though it was a nice looking car, but it wasn't the most aerodynamic! It lacked top speed, I think because of the wide sidepods with the radiators in the front of them. The Kenny Acheson car mentioned above (a works car I think?) was modified to have the sidepods closed off at the front and tapered into the chassis, with the radiators moved further back at the sides and slightly angled outwards. I believe this helped with top speed.

I think you'll find that the radiators were moved for weight distribution reasons, not aero. The sidepods worked well and were developed from the pods fitted to the '76 RP21. Trevor van Rooyen's RP24 never lacked for top speed, but it did have the world's best engines pushing it along......

The front suspension, by the way was loosely modelled on the T312 Ferrari front rocker "look". Appropriate, given Rory's subsequent career path.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3335403)   #180
Bent Wishbone
Rookie

Bent Wishbone has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Van Diemen RF80 for me every time - sublime, slippery form and rather functional

Hawke DL19 was a rather good looker too
Old 23 Nov 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3335672)   #181
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wishbone View Post
Van Diemen RF80 for me every time - sublime, slippery form and rather functional

Hawke DL19 was a rather good looker too
Have to agree on the RF80 from a performance point of view, but hardly good looking...... DL19 was a catastrophe in period, both visually and functionally.

RF80 was, of course, a direct descendant of the original proper FF, the Lotus 69, both designed by Dave Baldwin. Why FF cars are not still like this is one of life's great tragedies..............
Old 26 Nov 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3337205)   #182
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>>RF80 was, of course, a direct descendant of the original proper FF, the Lotus 69<<

Surely you meant to say Crosslé 25F, so good it is specifically excluded from the Pre-74 class?
Old 27 Nov 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3337369)   #183
chris bailey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Séamas M. View Post
>>RF80 was, of course, a direct descendant of the original proper FF, the Lotus 69<<

Surely you meant to say Crosslé 25F, so good it is specifically excluded from the Pre-74 class?
Yes and no! The 25F was very closely modelled on the 69, and many other cars took the 25F DNA as a starting point, including the RP21 Royale. Hence, the really good outboard-suspension cars mostly trace their origins back to the 69. That is why, in the original Pre-74 FF era, the car to have (if you could lay your hands on one) was the Lotus 69. Bob Berridge had one, and was pretty dominant. I tracked one down specifically for that series but never used it. The car is now in the hands of Dave Lowe (Mr Pre-74 FF).

You can argue the finer points of this theory (please do), but it's a reasonable approximation to the truth. In many ways, the RF77 rescued the outboard suspension concept, after Hawke and Royale got overly complicated with the DL15 and RP24 respectively. The 77 evolved into the RF80, even bringing back the front radiator in the process, and remains the "perfect" FF1600 to this day. Everything since, in the philosophical sense at least, has been a retrograde step, leading to the inevitable decline of the world's best junior single-seater category, as cost and complication took over and ruined the whole thing. Rant over!
Old 27 Nov 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3337390)   #184
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thought this was about the best looking FF1600 and not the most effective one ?
Old 27 Nov 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3337394)   #185
chris bailey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Thought this was about the best looking FF1600 and not the most effective one ?
It is, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it's amazing how the most effective solution ends up looking good in most people's eyes.

The most beautiful FF1600 that never really worked? Now there's another discussion entirely..............

Meanwhile, give me something that works, and I'll learn to love it.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3337453)   #186
sk69
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
sk69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more Chris. I never liked the look of my RF79 but the more races it wins the prettier it looks. I have a much more beautiful historic that I can't drive quickly - looks ugly to me....
Old 17 Feb 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3369304)   #187
acadvent
Rookie

Scotland
Thetford, Norfolk
acadvent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Looking FF cars

Hi!

I guess I am a little biased here but the Image FF2/B of the mid 70's took the fight to the Hawkes of Derek Warwick, Rick Morris, Derek Daley et al was one of the last front rad cars and followed some of the design lines of the March cars at and around that period.

The Hawkes looked finessed in many ways but the Image had a design charm of its own.

The Royale RP24 was a complete head turner when it first appeared with inboard suspension and seemed like quite a radical proposition. I seem to recall having to fight through the crush to see it when launched at Brands!

The Van Diemen RF85 was a neat and precise car which was pleasing to look at as well as being a half decent race car.

Trouble is you look at the cars in the context of the period and some date badly and others really well!

Whatever happened to the concept FF car that was built by Hugo Spiers?? Apologies if that is wrong, memory failing perhaps!! This was a car that sought to achieve the lowest frontal area and the driver lay down in a fully reclined position?

Am I going mad or was that a reality?? I think that Andy Kitson would be the man to recall this if it was for real?

Surely that would go down as the weirdest FF design?
Old 17 Feb 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3369322)   #188
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadvent View Post
Hi!

Whatever happened to the concept FF car that was built by Hugo Spiers?? Apologies if that is wrong, memory failing perhaps!! This was a car that sought to achieve the lowest frontal area and the driver lay down in a fully reclined position?

Am I going mad or was that a reality?? I think that Andy Kitson would be the man to recall this if it was for real?

Surely that would go down as the weirdest FF design?
It was called the Prowess. Bizarre!!

http://www.startline.org.uk/SLOL11/Qwotsit2360.jpg
Old 17 Feb 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3369335)   #189
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Lola T540E for me

http://www.newsclassicracing.com/IMG...e-pyrenees.jpg
Old 13 Mar 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3378383)   #190
nigel grant
Rookie

nigel grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to be a Merlyn MK20A.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3378406)   #191
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
It was called the Prowess. Bizarre!!

http://www.startline.org.uk/SLOL11/Qwotsit2360.jpg

Looks awesome Alan, did the Prowess ever get to race?

Last edited by wnut; 13 Mar 2014 at 23:23.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3378517)   #192
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel grant View Post
Got to be a Merlyn MK20A.
That must be why so many are still being manufactured....!

Taxi
Old 16 Mar 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3380602)   #193
nigel grant
Rookie

nigel grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That must be why so many are still being manufactured....!

Taxi
By who? I was only commenting on the fact that they are a good looking car.