Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Feb 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3028373)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
There seems to be an awful lot of US WW2 garb, but surely they were never based at Tangmere?
Hey is someone having a go at my Captain America outfit?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3028377)   #27
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think the clue is in the title "period dress" and not necessarily what would be worn at one particular circuit.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3028409)   #28
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I can't believe I typed Tangmere instead of Westhampnett.Whoops!

Point taken about the "period-look",it's just that racing began in 1948 and by then the war was over so the Yanks would never have been seen at the airfield or the circuit in WW2 guise.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3028445)   #29
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Fancy Dress.At least make it authentic period stuff 48-66.Odd demob suit OK but only in the standing area as Middle England had long since dumped theirs.They were in stands.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3028560)   #30
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a lovely photograph of Graham Hill lounging against the front of his Lotus Cortina on the grid at Brands Hatch in 1966. The interesting thing is all the people milling about on the grid are wearing suits or jackets and ties.
Different age.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 07:25 (Ref:3028716)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!

These kind of suits? gang ties, and did the Cortina have Wolfrace wheels, and furry seat covers?
Old 21 Feb 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3028778)   #32
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would not fit in with the dress code - it´s more 80´s Suzuki GSX-R driver !

Ralf
Old 21 Feb 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3028785)   #33
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing you knew where to find pictures like that, Joe!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3028796)   #34
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Joe, The last time Iain Rowley and I went to Nurburgring there were still people dressed like that.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3028801)   #35
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As sad as it is - but you´re right, Compte !
And it´s not meant to be a costume, either...
Old 21 Feb 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3028873)   #36
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I can't believe my rant yesterday about the authenticity of dress - must have had a bad day.

The next thing, someone will think about doing Romeo & Juliet with everyone dressed-up as NY West-Side gangs! As if.

I'll get me coat.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3028991)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Amazing you knew where to find pictures like that, Joe!
google search. 'Glaswegian style guru'
Old 22 Feb 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3029386)   #38
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I know is that each year it costs me more and more as my good lady refuses to wear thew same outfit 3 days running and, even worse, two years running in case somebody remembers it from last year!!!

As we try to match the era of ur car on the Lavant Bank that is 1930s clothes which do not easiloy come off the peg, even in charity shops.

And before anybody gets at me I know there was no motor racing at Goodwood in the 1930s but also there were no prewar Brooklands cars racing and we see those on the track. Anyway who's ever seen a hippy in an Austin 7?
Old 22 Feb 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3029406)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimlerman View Post
All I know is that each year it costs me more and more as my good lady refuses to wear thew same outfit 3 days running and, even worse, two years running in case somebody remembers it from last year!!!

As we try to match the era of ur car on the Lavant Bank that is 1930s clothes which do not easiloy come off the peg, even in charity shops.

And before anybody gets at me I know there was no motor racing at Goodwood in the 1930s but also there were no prewar Brooklands cars racing and we see those on the track. Anyway who's ever seen a hippy in an Austin 7?
approved!!
Old 22 Feb 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3029416)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I can't believe I typed Tangmere instead of Westhampnett.Whoops!

Point taken about the "period-look",it's just that racing began in 1948 and by then the war was over so the Yanks would never have been seen at the airfield or the circuit in WW2 guise.
Why not, they are still here today 60 odd years later! I am sure the uniform in '48 was much the same as in '45.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3029961)   #41
autoidiodyssey
Rookie

United States
Maryland
autoidiodyssey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtiejjj View Post
Anyhow, how's the situation without a press pass, can you make some good photos from interesting viewpoints and the paddock area as a lowly normal spectator?
I've been the last two years and shot from the spectator areas. Around most of the circuit there is not much difference between shooting inside or outside the fence. As far as I can tell having a pass gets you into the restricted paddock where the high end cars are parked, access to shoot on the grid pre-race, and access to shoot around the pits and the chicane on the front straight during races. It seems like every outlet that features pro shots from Goodwood uses shots from the chicane. All of the following shots were taken from spectator areas last year.

1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB/C (s/n: 2069GT) by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

Goodwood Trophy by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

1964 MV Agusta 500/3 by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

Classic Jag by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

This car was in the restricted area of the paddock.

Cinematic Goodwood #6 by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

It helps to have a long lens for some of the corners. A pass is not necessary to get good shots though. There are no big catch fences or anything like that to get in the way.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3030102)   #42
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Just gone onto this thread for the first time.I usually post on the "Motorsport History" forums,but I'd like an opinion from people who are obviuosly (and very correctly) Revival fans.

I just love it too, but I'm a bit concerned that the organisers are veering away from the original intent with the 50-years Cobra race.I would have thought that this celebration would belong to the Festival of Speed - the Revival meeting IMO should be a recreation in the style of an original meeting.

I don't remember any more than 3 or 4 Cobras in any one race of the time,but the TT recreation is chocka with them.There used to be far more midfield cars and less big-bangers although I know the sight and sound pleases the spectators.

I'm a sucker for the 50s saloons but they all seem to be lowered and run roller-skate wheels.Is this for safety purposes? I have presumed that the correct-sized tyres are no longer available.There was no way that an A35 could run with the Jags at the time, even with Graham Hill at the wheel.I miss the heeling-over and the squealing tyres.

Sorry if I seem pedantic.
They weren't far behind though. I can remember a race at Crystal Palace in 1958 where the front row was 2 Jaguars and an A35 (John Sprinzel I think) ahead of various Rapiers, Zephyrs and more Jaguars. I remember it because we were staying with my grandparents two streets away and I was allowed to go to the meeting on my own at the ripe old age of 11. And this is one of those things that stick in the memory.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3030336)   #43
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
They weren't far behind though. I can remember a race at Crystal Palace in 1958 where the front row was 2 Jaguars and an A35 (John Sprinzel I think) ahead of various Rapiers, Zephyrs and more Jaguars. I remember it because we were staying with my grandparents two streets away and I was allowed to go to the meeting on my own at the ripe old age of 11. And this is one of those things that stick in the memory.

At 11 ? To quote Python "You lucky,lucky ba...rd". My own first-time was at 14 bu i had to cycle 18 miles to get there. Times change.

I stand corrected of course, but the Palace was somewhat tighter than Goodwood,so I suppose the tiddlers would be in with a shout.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3030499)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoidiodyssey View Post
I've been the last two years and shot from the spectator areas. Around most of the circuit there is not much difference between shooting inside or outside the fence. As far as I can tell having a pass gets you into the restricted paddock where the high end cars are parked, access to shoot on the grid pre-race, and access to shoot around the pits and the chicane on the front straight during races. It seems like every outlet that features pro shots from Goodwood uses shots from the chicane. All of the following shots were taken from spectator areas last year.

[It helps to have a long lens for some of the corners. A pass is not necessary to get good shots though. There are no big catch fences or anything like that to get in the way.
stunning photos - did you take any of the Madgwick - first race Sunday morning. If so would love to see them - thanks
Old 24 Feb 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3030515)   #45
autoidiodyssey
Rookie

United States
Maryland
autoidiodyssey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
stunning photos - did you take any of the Madgwick - first race Sunday morning. If so would love to see them - thanks
Thanks. I did take photos of Madgwick. I was there all three days, so I got shots of all the groups. Here is a link to the Madgwick set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoidi...7627756002782/

I think I have at least one shot of every car that ran in Madgwick uploaded.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 12:10 (Ref:3030851)   #46
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[These kind of suits? gang ties, and did the Cortina have Wolfrace wheels, and furry seat covers? ] Quote
Not forgetting the furry dice Joe
Old 9 Mar 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3037534)   #47
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
My daughter has just suggested that I spend her inheritance on a trip this year - my first.

Flights from Belfast to Southampton seem no problem, and the three-day pass seems the best value. However , as for cheap accomodation (!). The Travelodge at Chichester want £220 PER NIGHT!

I'm not asking for the Ritz here. Any suggestions from fellow forum members, or are the answers a closely-guarded secret?
Old 9 Mar 2012, 15:14 (Ref:3037538)   #48
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
All hotels near the circuit will be either fully booked or very expensive. It would be worth looking into hotels near Portsmouth and hiring a car to drive in and out each day
Old 9 Mar 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3037552)   #49
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Thanks Stephen, that's just as I suspected. On revisiting the Travelodge site I realise that the only rooms available were for the disabled. Having said that, surely charging more for them is discriminatory.

I will take your advice. I'll be hiring a car at the airport anyway so a bit of driving will be par for the course.Don't fancy flying over in "fancy dress" though!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3037555)   #50
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I suggested Portsmouth area because the road to Goodwood is dual carriageway from there. If you go more towards Brighton?hove the road is not so clever. Make sure you don't book the hotel that looks over the M3 or you won't get any sleep (he says from bitter experience)