Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Sep 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3130768)   #101
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistron View Post
Well I know what we'll be buying next year! and a couple of Sunday tickets

Be careful, next year the auction may be back to one day only....then you'll be missing Saturday which inevitably will be sold out before you find out that you still need a ticket!!!
Old 5 Sep 2012, 06:27 (Ref:3131040)   #102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistron View Post
Well I know what we'll be buying next year! and a couple of Sunday tickets
I can picture it now. With auction catalogue in hand you will think- we may as well have a look round the lots- it would be rude not to. Then something will take your fancy, and 'heavens above' the Mrs likes it as well. Next thing is you will be registering as a bidder, then bidding, then winning.........

Game set and match to Bonhams!

Old 5 Sep 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3131150)   #103
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THere's some pretty serious action going on at 10:30 on Saturday and Sunday mornings . . . all on the start finish area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
We'll be parked up on the Lavent bank pre-66 car park with our picnic (and SS100) on Saturday, right opposite one of the big screens. On Sunday we'll probably head out to Lavent corner as I rate it as one of the best places to watch the racing.

Old 5 Sep 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3131458)   #104
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you buy the Bonhams catalogue for the auction, you get entry for 2 people on Friday and Saturday!

It's £50 (plus postage) - but you also get into the auction if that's your thing.

Now sorted for a full weekend away! And looking forward to the auction. Will have to keep hands in pockets though...
Old 6 Sep 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3132108)   #105
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to Goodwood and buy a bit of Donington:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/102265
Old 6 Sep 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3132110)   #106
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Go to Goodwood and buy a bit of Donington:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/102265
Yup. It's in Bonhams catalogue but the lots are still at Donington! Already decided I want the clock, which apparently is Pirelli branded- but that wording has been covered by a metal skirt for many years!

All for chariteee, folks.........
Old 6 Sep 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3132123)   #107
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No idea but it is sold out! I will be there Friday and Sunday but looks like Saturday will be on the beach!
Mike,
I shall be there all three days if you fancy saying hello, you could always call at the Media Mess tent or send PM with details.

It would be nice.

Bob.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3132844)   #108
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will be there spectating my some clients on Friday and as ever very much looking forward to it. Gather even JR has cars running this year!
Old 8 Sep 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3132883)   #109
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Iain will be there in the Formula Junior Tent.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3132889)   #110
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting very excited about running in the Freddie March Trophy on Friday night....hope she lasts.....
Old 8 Sep 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3132921)   #111
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Iain will be there in the Beer Tent.
Changed that for you, Compte....
Old 8 Sep 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3132923)   #112
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Looking forward to see you all again, from my position on the Assembly gate.

Just remember to wear your armbands (go back to the organisers if you need more, stories of "I'm the car owner and the team didn't give me one" isn't acceptable!), DON'T pass them back over the fence to get more people in, and I'll make your life as easy as possible! I want to enjoy the weekend too!

Signed

"The 4 wheeled rottveiler!"

PS I'm a nice man really!
Old 8 Sep 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3132993)   #113
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TrackDriver magazine Editor Mark Hales will be sharing the Nick Mason Ferrari 250GTO with one Jean Alesi. That'll be worth seeing.

Looks a cracking entry.

S.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3133113)   #114
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
just finished my steed for the weekend . . . hasn't scrubbed up too bad, just needs a polish and a new screen rubber, MOT on MOnday/Tuesday and I could even drive it down!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20120908-00449.jpg  
Old 9 Sep 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3133116)   #115
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Mmm, it looks like an FIA Lotus to me
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Sep 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3133127)   #116
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 9 Sep 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3133128)   #117
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All it needs is a green flash Zef. And a 3/8 hole drilled in the exhaust, just at the start of the bend in the downpipe.

Last edited by SAMD; 9 Sep 2012 at 08:57. Reason: musings
Old 9 Sep 2012, 09:03 (Ref:3133129)   #118
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
too heavy Gordon, its well over 700 kg, no inconel in sight.

its got Willment GT written all over it however!
Old 9 Sep 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3133138)   #119
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Zef, a quote from Bonhams catalogue just for you-

Lot is a very nice looking 1964 Cortina GT Mk1 2-door Rally Car, built to replicate David Seigle-Morris's Alpine Rally car. Last sentence-

"Apart from being enjoyed in current GT specification, this now extremely rare Mk1 2-door would also be a most suitable candidate for upgrading, as so often happened in period, into a Pre-airflow Lotus Cortina for International Rallying or racing at the highest level."

Old 9 Sep 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3133147)   #120
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Zef, a quote from Bonhams catalogue just for you-

Lot is a very nice looking 1964 Cortina GT Mk1 2-door Rally Car, built to replicate David Seigle-Morris's Alpine Rally car. Last sentence-

"Apart from being enjoyed in current GT specification, this now extremely rare Mk1 2-door would also be a most suitable candidate for upgrading, as so often happened in period, into a Pre-airflow Lotus Cortina for International Rallying or racing at the highest level."

Yes - I read that as well and decided not to upset Zef by repeating it......

But seriously it looks quite an interesting car - as a GT

Last edited by Brian A; 9 Sep 2012 at 10:09. Reason: Extra comment
Old 9 Sep 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3133186)   #121
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes - I read that as well and decided not to upset Zef by repeating it......

But seriously it looks quite an interesting car - as a GT
Whoops!

When I was a pimply teenager I used to got to the local 750MC meets with a school chum and his Dad. Mike Pilbeam was a member, working for Lotus and had a red GT as company car. (May have been a Mk2 though.) Then this other guy joined who had a red Mk1 GT rally car, complete with 5.5J steels. I thought the cars looked the dogs wotsits in that colour..... And still do.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3133207)   #122
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Whoops!

When I was a pimply teenager I used to got to the local 750MC meets with a school chum and his Dad. Mike Pilbeam was a member, working for Lotus and had a red GT as company car. (May have been a Mk2 though.) Then this other guy joined who had a red Mk1 GT rally car, complete with 5.5J steels. I thought the cars looked the dogs wotsits in that colour..... And still do.
We had a white 4 door GT (Airflow) in which I learned to drive. Before I reached that point I recall a holiday in Cornwall, staying at a small hotel in or near Mevagissey, when one of the other guesta had a red 2 door veersion of the same age as ours. A road car with the slightly wider wheels - 5.5J I assume as I donlt think 6J would fit into the arches. Whatever they were a very tight squeeze. As Mike observed those wheels alone really made the car, especially in red, look special for its day.

I tried to suggest to the old man that he should consider a wheel upgrade but he seemed less than interested by the idea.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3133396)   #123
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
mk1 GT's came with 4 1/2" rims. std are 4" you very rarely see anything other thsn 5 1/2, I only have 2 of the 4 1/2" myself, and thats with 3 of the things, 2 of them genuine GT's. the rims on this are 6" rear ( genuine not banded) and 5 1/2" front, with modified std trims. arches are standard. Its the tyres that foul.

If the auction car is a preaerflow its arguably far more attractive to a collector, or anyone who appreciates any provenance as a GT. its provenance should be assured as no one's really bothered faking them to my knowledge, and its rare. green stripes don't add value and a cylinder head is the only difference to most of them as they're all std underneath . . . genuine early LC's and GT's, are virtually countable on your fingers now. same goes for standard cars in original spec.

They're not posh, and certainly not dynamic in any way, but they did play a very important part in motorsport and general motoring history, at a pivotal and iconic time.

todays lesson ends here
Old 10 Sep 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3133934)   #124
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood last minute tickets

We have a friend who can no longer make it to Goodwood. Tickets at face value available as follows.

3 Friday
3 Sat
5 Sunday
5 Grandstand Sunday

Please respond to e mail address as on www.retro-speed.co.uk homepage and mention Peter Baker.
Old 11 Sep 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3134088)   #125
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it me, or is the weather forecast looking "ok"!