Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Oct 2002, 14:58 (Ref:404943)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren Mercedes at Le Mans?

McLaren Cars are designing & building a "Super Sportscar" for Mercedes Benz, due to be launched in 2003. Surely this means they will take it to Le Mans? Fingers Crossed!
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:15 (Ref:404954)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not necessarily. I'm not sure how much Mercedes want to go back to Le Mans.

Having said that maybe some will force there hand. A bit like when the McLaren F1 came out. Some customers said that they would race it anyway, so you might as well build a decent racing version!

Again having said that, the principle aim is to make a road car, McClaren have been wanting to make a road car for a long time. this is partly why the deal with Peugeot ended and the deal with Mercedes started in 1995 because it would always lead to a largish production run of a Merc. Sportscar.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:31 (Ref:404962)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I'm keen to see Mercedes at LM again... nobody here to improve the CLR ?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:37 (Ref:404964)   #4
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds interesting, maybe they could persuade a current F1 driver to 'pilot' one of their cars. Who's that running away in the opposite direction - I guess Mark Webber isn't volunteering then!
Old 15 Oct 2002, 15:40 (Ref:404966)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
Sounds interesting, maybe they could persuade a current F1 driver to 'pilot' one of their cars. Who's that running away in the opposite direction - I guess Mark Webber isn't volunteering then!
They could find someone in the... RAF !!!
Old 15 Oct 2002, 16:22 (Ref:404996)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can not see it happening in 2003, but who knows what will happen in 2004, when the new rules come in.......
Old 15 Oct 2002, 17:20 (Ref:405047)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It may be raced privcately as cars in FIA GT no longer need the blessing of the factory to compete, hence the arrival of the 550s and Diablos. ACO rules as far as I know have never required a car to have factory blessing.

If Gordon Murray has anything to do with the cars potential race plans I would expect to see it race as Murray seems a converted sportscar fan after the pressures of F1. Just depends how much influence Mercedes have.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 17:45 (Ref:405068)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
N

Again having said that, the principle aim is to make a road car, McClaren have been wanting to make a road car for a long time. this is partly why the deal with Peugeot ended and the deal with Mercedes started in 1995 because it would always lead to a largish production run of a Merc. Sportscar.
Surely McLaren bought the t-shirt a few years back with the F1 GTR? They not only built the fastest road car but decimated the opposition at Le Mans. What's in it for McLaren?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 17:53 (Ref:405075)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes should go back to Le Mans, just to erase the CLK-LM and CLR memories.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 22:49 (Ref:405271)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ayse. I agree there is nothing in it for McClaren to go back to Le Mans, but they do want to manufacture a road car. A sportscar (?). But not a racing sportscar.

Mercedes have bad memories about Le Mans. They don't need it. They have good motorsport activities in F1 and DTM. Why go back to bad hunting ground?
Old 16 Oct 2002, 05:45 (Ref:405419)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
If I can remember, the sole Mercedes to win at LM was a Sauber, wasn't It ? :confused:

So Adam, I think by proud (I should say by "sport", and paraphrase Liz baseline by Cybersdorf : "this is not businesscar, this is sportscar"), Mercedes should show what they could do at LM, in one of the categories (not especially LMP, could be GT...).

Last edited by Fab; 16 Oct 2002 at 05:45.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 10:23 (Ref:405554)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Merc. won in '52 when Jaguar messed up the front end of the C-Type.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mercedes go back to Le Mans, as long as someone beets them (preferably Jaguar).
Old 16 Oct 2002, 12:17 (Ref:405668)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Merc. won in '52 when Jaguar messed up the front end of the C-Type.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mercedes go back to Le Mans, as long as someone beets them (preferably Jaguar).
Funny how people wouldn't mind seeing them back - as long as they don't win!!
Old 16 Oct 2002, 12:27 (Ref:405685)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would mind. Who needs them. They'd try and mess with the rules like they always do. They killed the old DTM and the old FIA GT that way. Norbert Haug is evil.
Besides, Merc doesn't want to go back. I believe there are no CLR chassis left in existence - weren't they dismantled by order of the MB board of directors? A McLaren "powered by" would probably be a different story, though.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:58 (Ref:405757)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Norbert Haug is evil.
Remember how he flew to Canada while mercs where... well... flying

Quote:
A McLaren "powered by" would probably be a different story, though.
I vote for that...

And thank you Adam to remind me the 1952 victory... have to admit that it's a little bit far, but it's a win...
Old 16 Oct 2002, 14:15 (Ref:405770)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I would mind. Who needs them. They'd try and mess with the rules like they always do. They killed the old DTM and the old FIA GT that way. Norbert Haug is evil.
Yeah, no other manufacturer tries to mess with the rules like Merc. Well, Ferrari, maybe. Oh, and Porsche. And BMW.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James