Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2501553)   #1
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Battery Placement

I have an Odyssey PC680, wondering wheres the best place to mount it, in terms of weight distribution, low cog etc etc, any thoughts on this??? im open to fit it anywhere....

cheers!!
Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2501561)   #2
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally batteries are placed as high as possible in the car as it improves the electrical flow. Think of it as a water tower...
Old 14 Jul 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2501588)   #3
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't be mean Rubinho

What car have you got, and what is it's current weight distribution fore/aft & left/right?

There might be certain compromises. If you have it where the weight distribution is 'best' and CoG is lowest, will it mean you have to strengthen the floors or mounting area? Can you easily get the wiring to it? Will it be convenient for changing or charging?

Some single seaters, for example, have them in the nose area so it's on the centreline and moves the weight distribution forwards (whether or not this is a good thing is probably too complicated to tell on club level budgets though!), whilst others mount them in the sidepod to 'balance' the exhaust or airbox or what have you.

Tintops might have them in the area that used to be the passenger seat, or in the boot, or in the normal place in the engine bay.

It depends so much on the car and the level of difficulty you are willing to go to to make the car 'better'.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2501758)   #4
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Don't be mean Rubinho
Oops, I was going to reply with a sensible answer a few minutes after posting the joke one but I got sidetracked at work! You've done a good job of answering in a proper fashion in my place though, thanks!

I'd add that batteries are a critical component so I'd situate it where it's not a nightmare to swap out in the case of failure or accidental discharging.

I've worked on cars where you have to remove the floor to change the battery which can be a proper pain when you realise it's discharged 10 minutes before the pitlane opens and you have to change it!

Last edited by Rubinho; 14 Jul 2009 at 18:32. Reason: Bad use of comma
Old 14 Jul 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2501908)   #5
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubinho View Post
Normally batteries are placed as high as possible in the car as it improves the electrical flow. Think of it as a water tower...
awesome, just mounted it up on the roof with a nice long lead run down to the floorplan.... think i've solved that one... onto the engine stuff now....
Old 22 Jul 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2506079)   #6
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Whilst you are on the engine. the same applies to the fuel tank. Best mount on the roof or perhaps on top of roll cage. The gravity helps the fuel flow in to the engine, producing a type of supercharging effect. This technique can also help with the mounting of the air box.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2509522)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
At this rate he's going to end up with the whole car mounted on the roof! He just needs to put the wheels up there as well and he'll be back where he started.... but possibly upside-down...
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2509710)   #8
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He can then change his name to Carlsson.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 05:39 (Ref:2510456)   #9
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!

jimclark