Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Mar 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3810498)   #101
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Or just build the camera into the front of the halo - as you say the technology is there to have very small cameras - how hard can it be?
I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but there was a bit on Ted's Qualifying Notebook on Sky covering this. Apparently the Halo does have a hole in the Titanium structure for a camera (or it may have been a mount), but they've now wrappped it in carbon fibre and obscured the hole...

Edited to add: it's about 23m55s into this video (if you have acccess) http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...book-australia
Old 25 Mar 2018, 00:48 (Ref:3810536)   #102
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
felt that way too.

they take up too much space, less room to see the road ahead, corner ahead etc.

i think we are going to be really disappointed when it blocks and actual racing/wheel to wheel battle camera shot.

add to that the new larger sized graphics. dont hate the font or the graphics mind you but too much of the screen is now being taken up.

no doubt i will get used to it but for now it all looks a bit cluttered.
Why not replace the current camera on top of the airbox with a 360° camera, then you would be able to see wheel to wheel action?
Old 25 Mar 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3810537)   #103
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK, so I've been waiting for the new season to start ever since the last one finished. I've closely followed everything that's happened in the closed season, including the pre-season testing in Barcelona and have been eagerly anticipating the start of the season since Christmas.
So, for me qualifying wasn't live (Channel 4), but I studiously avoided the internet today and sat down at 1:00 to watch the qualifying coverage.
The programme was slick, well produced and entertaining, qualifying was close and (apparently) should have been edge of the seat entertainment, plus, I wasn't offended by The Halo.
Can anyone explain why I wasn't excited, why, at the end of the programme I just switched the TV off and went about my household chores? Surely afterwards I should have been sitting in my chair, sweating due to adrenaline, thinking WOW! that was amazing. Or does this just mean that after 45+ years the F1 bubble has finally burst in my head?
Answers on a postcard please...
I guess maybe because there was nothing "surprising" about the outcome.....yes, Lewis pulled a cracking final lap out of the bag, and the Iceman slightly pushed his team leader's nose out of joint, but there was nothing shocking,, although Haas in on-the-road 6th and 7th (grid 5th and 6th) is pretty remarkable.........

I'm still looking forward to (now) later today!
Old 25 Mar 2018, 03:52 (Ref:3810555)   #104
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I say we ditch the facemask-for-a-formula-car and put the best motorsport engineers in the world on developing a windscreen. Then we can keep that shot to the side of the driver's helmet because it's rad. I can then also see the driver's helmets from normal shots, which is the only way I can tell the team cars apart.

I've also heard that there will be a "turn it up" segments during the Sky coverage where there will be no commentary and just track noise. Liberty Media will tell you that this is a new feature for the fans and totally not so they can send the American market to commercial...
Old 25 Mar 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3810564)   #105
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Globemaster III flyover. Cool!
Old 25 Mar 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3810565)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Despite all the concerns about visibility with the Halo, that was a clean start. Lulu in the lead with Kimi hot on his tail.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 05:33 (Ref:3810566)   #107
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Verstappen over cooked it as he tried to get past Magnussen in Turn 1 and drops to 8th.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 05:44 (Ref:3810567)   #108
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Honda kablammo
Old 25 Mar 2018, 05:50 (Ref:3810568)   #109
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Bad luck for Magnussen. The left rear didn't go on properly during his pitstop and damaged his rear suspension.

Grosjean's Haas gives up the ghost in sympathy and stops on the track, bringing out the first VSC of the race. Vettel pits taking the lead.

Now it's an FCY

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 25 Mar 2018 at 05:59. Reason: Edit
Old 25 Mar 2018, 05:58 (Ref:3810569)   #110
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Oh Haas...
Old 25 Mar 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3810570)   #111
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
How embarrassing that Sky can’t work out how Vettel took the lead. It’s frickin obvious guys!
Old 25 Mar 2018, 06:45 (Ref:3810576)   #112
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Vettel on the win and his 100th podium and congrats to Ferrari on getting 1st and 3rd. Good to see Alonso finish 5th.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 06:47 (Ref:3810577)   #113
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Great F1 race and a beautiful afternoon in Melbourne. Great way to start the season! My only regret is that I probably should have watched in the morning! Good night!
Old 25 Mar 2018, 07:06 (Ref:3810579)   #114
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely the solution to this VSC pit stop problem is to simply reduce the pit lane speed limit during those periods.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3810583)   #115
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Surely the solution to this VSC pit stop problem is to simply reduce the pit lane speed limit during those periods.
You would have to slow them down a LOT to even it out. Much simpler to just close the pits since there's no refuelling anyway.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3810586)   #116
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Why not close the pit lane while the VSC is deployed?
Old 25 Mar 2018, 07:41 (Ref:3810591)   #117
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Get rid of the VSC its flawed.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3810593)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Get rid of the VSC its flawed.
I thought it did what it is there to do and did a good job.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3810596)   #119
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
You would have to slow them down a LOT to even it out. Much simpler to just close the pits since there's no refuelling anyway.
Or make them wait at the end of the pit lane for as many seconds as they are likely to gain on average?
Old 25 Mar 2018, 08:08 (Ref:3810600)   #120
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I thought it did what it is there to do and did a good job.
No,last time that GP2 ever raced in Monaco one of the cars passed half the feild in the pits under VSC and came out leading the race.It has flaws.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3810604)   #121
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... how big will the fine be for Haas’ ‘engine failure’ uncontrolled wheel issues?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Mar 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3810607)   #122
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
WEC has had this problem since the FCY was brought in and haven't managed to fix it. Pitting earlier is always riskier. Audi were shafted multiple times in 2015 and 2016 because of shorter stint lengths. Closing the pits is the only real option.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 08:31 (Ref:3810609)   #123
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... how big will the fine be for Haas’ ‘engine failure’ uncontrolled wheel issues?
Haas Fined $10,000 For Unsafe Releases
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Mar 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3810612)   #124
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Hard to do that - Australia is already much slower than other tracks and there comes a point that the cars can't go much slower in any case. Maybe the solution is to not have the VSC in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why not close the pit lane while the VSC is deployed?
Closing the pit lane is not permitted under FIA sporting regs - it really is quite a big "no-no". It would need a VERY careful re-think of the ramifications and potential down sides to even be on the table.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3810614)   #125
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Closing the pit lane is not permitted under FIA sporting regs - it really is quite a big "no-no". It would need a VERY careful re-think of the ramifications and potential down sides to even be on the table.
For what reason? Cars can still be allowed to pit if there's some kind of emergency which needs dealing with.