Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3622141)   #1151
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They would probably still insist on having a dozen chicanes and 300m tarmac run-offs at every corner. I'm aware a few corners already have tarmac run-off. (turn 1 for example).

What makes Watkins Glen different from Mexico? They had to butcher that in order to get back onto the F1 calendar.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3622265)   #1152
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They would probably still insist on having a dozen chicanes and 300m tarmac run-offs at every corner. I'm aware a few corners already have tarmac run-off. (turn 1 for example).

What makes Watkins Glen different from Mexico? They had to butcher that in order to get back onto the F1 calendar.
I think you can take it to the bank, or Bernie and Tilke will anyway, "butchering" the circuit for profit is an important part of Bernie's financial modelling.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 01:09 (Ref:3622276)   #1153
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

What makes Watkins Glen different from Mexico? A lot afaic.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 01:55 (Ref:3622282)   #1154
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

What makes Watkins Glen different from Mexico? A lot afaic. As for Mexico, I never thought there was the need to change the track, as much as F1 did. It worked well as a CART/Champ Car venue. Bernie clearly thought otherwise and yet the Baseball Stadium section, which CART originally used in 2002, was revamped by F1 last year. It's all about the show.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3623606)   #1155
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought that I would bring this up again as BA have just announced they are ceasing flights to Baku from the end of next month. They cite as the reason that there has been a lack of passengers, and that it was not worthwhile flying there at all. Yet another reason why a Grand Prix shouldn't be held there!
Old 17 Mar 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3623610)   #1156
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I thought that I would bring this up again as BA have just announced they are ceasing flights to Baku from the end of next month. They cite as the reason that there has been a lack of passengers, and that it was not worthwhile flying there at all. Yet another reason why a Grand Prix shouldn't be held there!
And that's just as the event organisers have been looking to recruit additional experienced volunteers from other nations, too. It'll put the event out of reach of a lot of people, both spectators and marshals.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3623619)   #1157
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not up to date with whats going on in Baku/Azerbaijan, but did BA stop flights out of security concerns or because of financial reasons/lack of demand?

if its the latter then i dont think thats necessarily a reason to not host a GP there. loved Pacific GP mainly because of its remoteness which gave it an exotic feel. Magny Cours was also great because of its remote pastoral setting. sort of feel thats an element which is lacking now...but then again the world is a much smaller place now so nowhere seems that remote anymore.

its probably security related though.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3623624)   #1158
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't mind having a GP in Baku; I do mind it being called the European Grand Prix.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3623626)   #1159
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not up to date with whats going on in Baku/Azerbaijan, but did BA stop flights out of security concerns or because of financial reasons/lack of demand?

if its the latter then i dont think thats necessarily a reason to not host a GP there. loved Pacific GP mainly because of its remoteness which gave it an exotic feel. Magny Cours was also great because of its remote pastoral setting. sort of feel thats an element which is lacking now...but then again the world is a much smaller place now so nowhere seems that remote anymore.

its probably security related though.
Why would would you want to go to a 'remote pastoral setting' for a race? I would prefer for all sport to be held in a city centre.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:28 (Ref:3623628)   #1160
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
their only direct competition on the route is indirect via istanbul or germany, or the local airline. how much would you bet that their landing/departure costs went up so much in preparation for driving all the f1 traffic through the local airline that it became financially unreasonable...
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3623630)   #1161
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BA is stopping flights because of a lack of bums on seats; for no other reason.

The stupidity of going to Baku is that nearly half of all the hotel beds are going to be occupied by team personnel and/or their hangers on, and there will only be space for about 15,000 spectators of which two thirds will be standing only.

And the country is far from exotic for most of it's citizens; say the wrong thing about it's dictator (I think that only one man stood for President, and he won the free and fair election with about 120% of the vote) and you will be disappeared. And he and his family, all of whom have been made extremely wealthy by the State, have no compunction about using that wealth to further their own interests.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3623631)   #1162
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mike, how do you know that? have you been checking the loads? they inherited the route during the bmi merger, and it's a long-standing one. the f1 weekend was fully booked/extortionate for this already, and passengers are being transferred to the lufthansa services via germany instead.

if anything other than dodgy things it's because that date iirc coincides with the most suitable aircraft being withdrawn/reduced in numbers (also inherited from bmi) and it's not really suitable for short haul, and the traffic numbers aren't there for a 777.

Last edited by bella; 17 Mar 2016 at 16:39.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3623633)   #1163
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Why would would you want to go to a 'remote pastoral setting' for a race? I would prefer for all sport to be held in a city centre.
to each their own of course and there are some great city centre/street track races but i like the variety and the set up challenges different style tracks present and as a TV viewer i like having a variety of backdrops.

21 is a lot of races for all of them to be in the same setting.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 16:40 (Ref:3623636)   #1164
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
mike, how do you know that? have you been checking the loads? they inherited the route during the bmi merger, and it's a long-standing one.
They announced it a few days ago, and unless BA flies there from any other airport other than Heathrow, the last flight outbound and return is on April 29th. And BA do cite that it is for commercial reasons, quoting as follows:

Quote:
“As part of our review, we have carefully evaluated the London Heathrow to Baku route and have concluded that, at the present time, the services are not making a profitable contribution to our business.”
Old 17 Mar 2016, 17:07 (Ref:3623643)   #1165
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
They announced it a few days ago, and unless BA flies there from any other airport other than Heathrow, the last flight outbound and return is on April 29th. And BA do cite that it is for commercial reasons, quoting as follows:
it's coincided with the withdrawl of some of the a321s (their only mid-haul aeroplane) that were transferred from bmi which they acquired with the route when they in turn bought bmed from ba. the commercial bit is to do with the traffic not being enough to justify a 777. at 6 hours it's not viable to put a short haul aircraft on it, especially for premium passengers.

and most importantly i bet a democratic nation such as azerbaijan would have welcomed a price war on a route they serve with a 787 with open arms
Old 19 Mar 2016, 06:58 (Ref:3624119)   #1166
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I agree, lets get rid of Silverstone and Spa and move the races to London and Brussels.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3624248)   #1167
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Your not serious, are you ? 😳
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3624271)   #1168
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
Old 19 Mar 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3624464)   #1169
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
A San Francisco GP would be interesting.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3624478)   #1170
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A San Francisco GP would be interesting.
The Bullitt chase scene recreated with modern F1 cars might be interesting. How much air might they get? Could the entire field survive a single lap?

Richard
Old 19 Mar 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3624499)   #1171
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
It would bring a new meaning to aero downforce..
Old 19 Mar 2016, 21:59 (Ref:3624635)   #1172
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The Bullitt chase scene recreated with modern F1 cars might be interesting. How much air might they get? Could the entire field survive a single lap?

Richard
Would that also mean we'd see the same parked Volkswagen Beetle three or four times every lap?
Old 8 Apr 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3631194)   #1173
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Imola to return to F1?

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123673
Old 9 Apr 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3631410)   #1174
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Maybe or is Bernie up to his usual tricks to get Monza to dance to his tune?

I think if there was to be no GP in Italy Bernie would have to suffer the wrath of Ferrari, the Tifosi he would ignore.
I doubt he could ignore Marchionne.
Old 9 Apr 2016, 08:32 (Ref:3631413)   #1175
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Although Imola, I believe, holds a licence for international events, I recall that it was stated recently that F1 would require quite dramatic alterations made to the actual circuit, plus the fact that the paddock and pits areas do not come up to the standard that BCE would expect.

This smacks of being yet another exercise by Mr E to ramp up the pressure on Monza to get it's act in order. This may or may not be easier to achieve, now that Ivan Capelli has stepped down from his role at the circuit.