Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3805227)   #651
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I took mine in July 1961 in a Ford Prefect that had dual controls. I'm fairly sure I wasn't asked to do an emergency stop and for the first few minutes I was so nervous I didn't do any signals at all. This was in the days of cars having trafficators only sprouting from the B pillars and a left turn involved sticking your arm out of the driver's window and making an exagerated anti clockwise revolving motion. Slowing down was arm straight out and slowly lowering and raising said arm. However, I did pass.
And if you tell that to the youth of today, they wouldn't believe you!
(Signalling your intentions to turn or slow down? You're having a laugh!)?
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3805232)   #652
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And do you remember how you indicated to a police officer directing traffic that you intended to go straight on?
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3805233)   #653
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
(Signalling your intentions....
Nowadays signalling your intentions is referred to as road rage... giving someone the bird and shaking of fists if Melbourne drivers are anything to go by.
Not directed at me I will hasten to add. Im old and well behaved!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3805237)   #654
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And do you remember how you indicated to a police officer directing traffic that you intended to go straight on?
(Left) Hand held up with palm facing windscreen......
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3805241)   #655
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Give that man a lollipop!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3805245)   #656
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Give that man a lollipop!
Those of us of a certain age know, Mike.......
Old 2 Mar 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3805247)   #657
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Policeman directing traffic. (or indeed anyone else fulfilling such a role).

A trip down memory lane.

Last week I actually saw a marked police car on the M1.

Well, on the hard shoulder of a slip road where he would be difficult to see coming round a long left bend, downhill immediately after being released from a long 50 limit.

But I think he was waiting for the tail end of the queue for the next exit to come into view so he could report back to base that the regular congestion was well under way.The queue was about 2 miles long when I reached it on my return journey about an hour later Had he stayed he might have had to wait a while longer.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3805252)   #658
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Nowadays that would probably get you nicked by some po-faced plod for not being in proper control of your vehicle, having dared to take one hand off the steering wheel.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3805253)   #659
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And when I was did point duty (late-70s / early-80s) some people still used it then - and often looked surprised when I understood what it meant!

As Delta would say - happy days.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3805259)   #660
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is turning into a long drive down Memory Lane.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3805264)   #661
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Can you even remember where that is?
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3805266)   #662
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
With no hand signals?

Well I've taken the chance of this snow day to spend time in the office. It was a long and hard journey to work, much interrupted not so much by snow as cats lying on the stairs here at Tyler Towers. WFH does have its advantages :-)

I've not even been outside today. MrsMM just gone for a walk "to look at the snow" but I can't say it fascinates me. I'd rather stay in the warm.

FWIW I learned to drive in a Rover P6 2000, passed my test second time in the instructor's Fiesta. I've only failed the one driving test in my life, passed motor bike and HGV first time.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3805267)   #663
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought you meant the one with only the middle finger raised.
And then there was the one that signalled a fork in the road coming up.

Last edited by morninggents; 2 Mar 2018 at 15:45.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3805269)   #664
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Can you even remember where that is?
No Mike, but I'll switch on my sat nav
Old 2 Mar 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3805270)   #665
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've got an old (1929 I think) copy of The Highway Code somewhere at home that also shows the 'hand' signals that should be made when driving a horse and cart, but using the whip! (I'm sure Baub will be back any moment to describe what they are...)
Old 2 Mar 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3805271)   #666
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I thought you meant the one with only the middle finger raised.
And then there was the one that signalled a fork in the road coming up.
I think that today you send him a text.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3805276)   #667
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was a Viva graduate, the school car was still in action about 15 years later, goodness knows how many clutches that had munched through in its time.

In heavy snow many years ago I was piloting an artic up Bluebell Hill (the one with the ghost) when it became obvious there was little point continuing so I peeled off onto the slip road which led down to a crossroads where I could go under the dual carriageway and head back home. Just before the junction there is a slight gradient so I engaged the diff lock and for good measure raised the rear tag axle on the unit so more weight was on the central drive axle. At the crossroads was one of our boys in blue who, seeing I was struggling for grip and indicating right, stopped all the other traffic and took a step to the left. When I reached the junction I waved a merry 'thank you' and turned the wheel - the truck continued in a dead straight line and the bobby had to leap into a snowdrift to avoid being hedgehogged. The truck was obviously see-sawing on the drive axle thus no steering. I have often wondered if he thought I'd done it deliberately. I now had no option but to continue up the hill and turn round at the top - took me about 6 hours to do the 10 miles back home

And the tales I could tell of the misery of freezing diesel - doesn't seem to be an issue these days.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3805281)   #668
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Remember my X-reg Jetta diesel suffering from frozen DERV in about 87 - as you say I think they winterize the diesel a bit better now so many use it - certainly haven't seen a truck with a mini-bonfire under it for many a year

Passed my test (2nd-time) in Dad's A35 converted van, in December 67 - it was a sobering thought a few weeks ago that I'd been driving over 50 years....My test-pass story was of arriving at the finish for the Highway code questions and being asked "What do you do when you see a steep hill sign?" - so I gave the approved "change down a gear" answer.......to then be asked "Why didn't you ?" .........After a discussion about the test route which didn't involve any steep hills more than about 50 yards long, and therefore didn't seem likely to produce any brake fade.....nice man said - "Well you know all the answers - just put them into practice!" and gave me the treasured pink slip
Old 2 Mar 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3805283)   #669
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Colin, you realise that talk of ‘tag axles’ and ‘diff locks’ will go over most heads on here.......

Freezing diesel? On the farm it was a constant winter problem when I were a lad!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3805284)   #670
bauble
Veteran

England
[QUOTEit was a sobering thought a few weeks ago that I'd been driving over 50 years....][/QUOTE]

Oh! Have you removed the P plate yet, after 60 years you can consider yourself, experienced.

January 1958. And still learning. That is important.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3805285)   #671
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the tales I could tell of the misery of freezing diesel - doesn't seem to be an issue these days.[/QUOTE]

Not freezing diesel,

But had freezing heating oil this week, well not the oil but drops of water in the heating oil. Wednesday morning -5c heating starts as normal hour later boiler cuts out and will not restart. Check filter on tank outlet full of ice, clean filter and hair dryer on the oil pipe and 2 hours later we have heating, have not turned heating off since, just keeping oil flowing.
Just part of living in rural Norfolk. We don't offen get a frost on the coast, but Wednesday we could't get out of the village all roads blocked.

Happy days

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 2 Mar 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3805288)   #672
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Colin, you realise that talk of ‘tag axles’ and ‘diff locks’ will go over most heads on here
Not at all, Mike, like Colin many can swear that diff lock and massive understeering flock together! Cops or no cops in fact!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3805309)   #673
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Bob, it's on Channel 5, and it's a series that starts tomorrow at 20.00, The Yorkshire Steam Railway which will feature the Flying Scot on the 1st episode.
And on Monday at 21.00 on Channel 5 there is another series starting about the Flying Scotsman.

They do seem to be getting quite steamed up about chuff-chuffs at the moment!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3805310)   #674
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One for you, Iain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUAXtFXjEfs
Old 2 Mar 2018, 21:39 (Ref:3805313)   #675
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While you're all watching the steam trains I'll rattle on about trucks a bit more. One of my first trucks was a very secondhand Volvo F88, the 250GTO of old trucks in terms of values these days. It was so worn out that you couldn't see what any of the switches and levers were supposed to be for. One of the switches brought on a yellow light on the dash so on the basis that it was probably better to be on rather than off I drove it around for a couple of weeks until I took the side out of a parked car because it wouldn't go round corners. Yep, diff lock. They built them tough back then!