Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3279137)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your opinion of the Hungarian GP

What is your opinion of this track? There have been many races where I have simply been bored to death. It reminds me of Monaco (not that Monaco is boring), but overtaking is difficult and the car that makes it to the first corner has the best chance of winning.

....just trying to generate a new topic during this endless break between races.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3279156)   #2
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a good track to drive and it's a good track for touring cars, but F1 cars have for the most part outgrown it. Overtaking is thus difficult. But it's still a good track and has a nice variety of corners, my favourites are the fast esses after the chicane.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3279181)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Tarmac run-off overwhelms me.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3279188)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The first race in '86 was excellent.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3279190)   #5
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the past couple of races there has been great actually! It was a bore in the early 00s though.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3279195)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post

....just trying to generate a new topic during this endless break between races.

You are kidding me........???
Old 19 Jul 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3279223)   #7
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great city to visit. Great track to watch a GHP at. Amazing crowd. There was no Kubica or Kimi when I attended but the crowd was full of Finnish and Polish fans who were very vocal and entertaining.

The grandstands are great for vision of the circuit getting to see complexes of corners. You cant say 2011 was a boring race, or 2010.

Needs to stay on the calendar...but admit some years the races are a bit bland but I love the strategy aspects of GPs and you only have to think back to Webbers win when he didnt pit and had to gun and puch out front to build a gap...was a great GP

Last edited by OZ_HCR32; 19 Jul 2013 at 00:18.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3279238)   #8
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do think that the circuit is dull for actually watching races - granted there have been some decent race there as mentioned : 1986 with Senna getting tailslided by Piquet was good, 1989 with Mansell coming form 12th to 1st, 1990 with Senna recovering to 2nd, etc.

I suspect that the drivers actually quite like the track. It seems to be sort of a glorified go-kart track(at least that's my impression of it). I suppose it offers them a unique challenge compared with other circuits.

Nowadays, it is so difficult to overtake there. There is realistically only 1 spot at the end of the main straight and it is so dusty offline. Modern F1 cars don't seem their best here.

I suppose the circuit has had the achievement of 27 years continuous service.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 04:37 (Ref:3279260)   #9
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton overtaking cars around the outside of turns 3-4 before DRS. Turns 8-9 people taking a dive. I think with the current regulations its one of the circuits that gets the balance between drivers still being challenged to overtake and still being possible with DRS not being too powerful. General speed of the place means cars can follow closely... I am a fan of it with current cars. 5+ years ago it was a bit different
Old 19 Jul 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3279295)   #10
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've quite enjoyed the last few years at this track and have to say overtaking has been quite a plenty the last couple of years. Turns 1 and 2 seem to be where most of the action is. Its not the most exciting race of the year, but there are tracks I would remove from the calendar before the Hungaroring to be honest
Old 19 Jul 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3279386)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It makes me remember Senna/Piquet and Damon Hill.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3279392)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I like the Hungarian GP because it's coming up next and I need my fix!

Many of the drivers say that it's fun to race on and is very technical. The fact that it may look rather tedious on TV is none of their doing.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3279522)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Actually there have been several great races there and I have never understood the criticism because the circuit produces some close racing, the city is good and the crowds are good and enthusiastic.

So what's missing? Is it just politics about the circuit because its a bit kart like in layout or lacks a few high speed corner opportunities? Some people made passing places for themselves...
Old 20 Jul 2013, 00:04 (Ref:3279543)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
It makes me remember Senna/Piquet and Damon Hill.
Piquet needed more than dab of oppo there.

Wow, Damon! So close.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 02:15 (Ref:3279561)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Wow, Damon! So close.
That was a huge disappointment, so close and yet so far!

The most I've ever wanted a driver to win a race!
Old 20 Jul 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3279600)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's a wicked little circuit to visit and the people are awesome

the f1 races are probably dull because the drivers like it as a track to drive on. those kinds of places are ones to drive fast laps rather than race. so... it doesn't make good tv.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3279603)   #17
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a cool track, the middle section looks quite technical and must be quite interesting from a driver's prospective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the f1 races are probably dull because the drivers like it as a track to drive on. those kinds of places are ones to drive fast laps rather than race. so... it doesn't make good tv.
Spot on...
Old 20 Jul 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3279616)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's a lot of ups and downs and varied gradient on the circuit too, it's not just a standard flat fenland-style tilkering. that's something you don't see on tv aside from the banked grandstands on the outside of the first turn.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3279631)   #19
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its the race I would least mind losing,at least the circuit in Korea looked a bit interesting.I understand that visiting is popular with Finnish fans-why is this?It seemed like a very adventurous choice in the days when Eastern Europe was far less accessible.With Russia,New Jersey and Thailand now under consideration,why should it remain on the calendar?
Old 20 Jul 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3279650)   #20
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It did used to be boring, but past couple of years races there haven't been too bad.

I enjoy it because it looks more like a traditional circuit. Of course, it isn't...but there's not the hundreds of miles of tarmac run off, and if you look closely, you can even see a tree or two!
Old 21 Jul 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3279868)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It did used to be boring, but past couple of years races there haven't been too bad.

I enjoy it because it looks more like a traditional circuit. Of course, it isn't...but there's not the hundreds of miles of tarmac run off, and if you look closely, you can even see a tree or two!
I'd rather have the Hungary track than Korea or any of the 'Tilke-dromes' that have sprung up over the last ten years...
Old 21 Jul 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3279976)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

Pretty much every corner now has tarmac run off.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:52 (Ref:3280346)   #23
M_Fritz
Rookie

M_Fritz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't say Hungary is boring but rather a different kind of entertainment, the scenery, the big straights and turns.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 04:20 (Ref:3280355)   #24
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying is of huge importance in this race usually...maybe not as much now since the Pirelli era.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 07:04 (Ref:3280390)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

They have re-profiled some of the corners since the early days in the 1980's but if you look at the circuit from Google earth overview it is not that twisty or heavily cornered as people seem to think.
What it does have is a number of 180 degree corners and a few 90's (especially the 180's leading on and off the main straight) that create the idea of a kart track that folds back on itself like most kart tracks do. There are no fast sweepers either, unlike Suzuka, Spa, Monza, and Silverstone.