Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 22 Aug 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2526053)   #51
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Agree for the most part - but with Vauxhall out of the picture, GM now only have Chevrolet in the UK market.
Vauxhall isn't dead yet.
A Chevy BTCC programme is always a possibility but I think unlikely. I expect funding would need to come from Chevrolet UK rather than Chevrolet Europe who currently fund the WTCC programme, and I don't know if the UK arm has that sort of promotional budget.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2526057)   #52
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
I agree with you about Chevy not joining the Btcc. While the Btcc and the Wtcc programs are unrelated, if Chevy should ever choose a replacement to their current drivers, in theory Jason Plato and Mat Jackson would be the first choices because of their relationship with RML.
True. My point was that neither are actually under contract to Chevy (as some people seem to think) and therefore it's not a case of moving seamlessly to WTCC. Plato has previously said that he's not interested in WTCC as it means spending too much time out of the country, although he hasn't specifically mentioned it the implication is that this would mean putting his lucrative TV career on hold. From a marketing point of view I would be surprised if they wanted an all English driver line-up.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2526058)   #53
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
True. My point was that neither are actually under contract to Chevy (as some people seem to think) and therefore it's not a case of moving seamlessly to WTCC. Plato has previously said that he's not interested in WTCC as it means spending too much time out of the country, although he hasn't specifically mentioned it the implication is that this would mean putting his lucrative TV career on hold. From a marketing point of view I would be surprised if they wanted an all English driver line-up.
Yes, that's absolutely spot on.
I would love to see Nykjaer, I like him as a driver. The guy is very talented and a double European champion, I believe he deserves a go at the World Championship
Old 22 Aug 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2526117)   #54
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
From what I've heard too, Jason's personal sponsors require him to race in the UK rather than in international events.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2526120)   #55
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would the new owners of GM Europe consider a factory or semi-factory team though?
Old 22 Aug 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2526321)   #56
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Would the new owners of GM Europe consider a factory or semi-factory team though?
I can hardly see that, as the new GM management group is the same as FIAT, and we've seen that the interest in motorsports is not much evident. I can see a dealer-backed project, for sure, also given the hig media-profile Jason Plato has and the fact that the Cruze might be available next year. Even if just 1 car, who says that they have to run only Cruzes or only Lacettis? A dealer could easily sponsor Jason Plato and give some backing for a Cruze, leaving RML some room to give the Lacetti away at a more reasonable price than before...!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2526327)   #57
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
888 I see buying the Vectras and running them but only 2 cars entered.
This got me thinking, is it Triple Eight who own the Vectra's or Vauxhall. I assumed Triple Eight owned them, and were simply funded by Vauxhall, meaning they wouldn't need to buy the cars, but I'm not entirely sure how a works deal works. I suppose it depends on how the contracts are worded.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2526446)   #58
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
This got me thinking, is it Triple Eight who own the Vectra's or Vauxhall. I assumed Triple Eight owned them, and were simply funded by Vauxhall, meaning they wouldn't need to buy the cars, but I'm not entirely sure how a works deal works. I suppose it depends on how the contracts are worded.
My understanding is Vauxhall own them however an agreement to buy them would surely be at a reduced cost to triple 8.

Well aware Jackson and Plato not under contract with Chevy and pay for the drives, larini and Menu are not really performing and it has been suggested one driver will go at the end of the year. Plato is connected to RML and knows the team now and is a top driver available therefore a logical choice for Chevy, nationality will not come into it, best drivers to take the Cruze to the championship.

Plato may have said he was not interested in WTCC but an offer from RML/Chevy he would take IMO, getting paid and not worrying about sponsership another added attraction.

However to specualte on 2010 is too early
Old 23 Aug 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2526487)   #59
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Well aware Jackson and Plato not under contract with Chevy and pay for the drives
I wasn't having a go at you. I've seen comments elsewhere to suggest there are people who don't get that distinction.

Quote:
nationality will not come into it, best drivers to take the Cruze to the championship.
Nationality does come into it, or rather a combination of nationality and talent.

Take BMW for example - In the UK all BMW's promotion is centred around Priaulx with the others barely being mentioned. If you want to promote to a UK audience use a UK driver. I'm sure if you went to Germany all you'd see would be Muller, in Italy it would all be about Zanardi, and Hernandez in Spain, all for the same reason. It's no co-incidence that BMW's effort is split up into national teams.

Let's say that Chevrolet had Huff, Plato and Jackson - that's great for promoting to a UK audience but what about elsewhere in Europe. As far as I know none of them speak fluent French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc with kind of limits any promotional opportunities.

Quote:
However to specualte on 2010 is too early
Well that at least we do agree on.

With Vauxhall gone the BTCC is increasingly looking at a privateer-only future (which is no bad thing) and as a rule privateers don't announce plans months in advance. Something tells me that a big portion of the grid we won't know about until the last minute.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2526497)   #60
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't having a go at you. I've seen comments elsewhere to suggest there are people who don't get that distinction.

I never took the comment personally

Well that at least we do agree on 2010 being to early..
I think we agree most times Redshoes, always enjoy your views.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2526628)   #61
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
I Believe 888 Own them because when the older vauxhalls were sold, 888 would give support to the indy Teams. but I'm not too sure.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2526662)   #62
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What are the chances of 888 running Volvo's next year?
Old 23 Aug 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2526703)   #63
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What are the chances of 888 running Volvo's next year?
Better chance than most..
Old 24 Aug 2009, 03:08 (Ref:2527043)   #64
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
That could be a possibility, but I've also heard about Kia... I suppose it would be a waste to manage the cars with a Swedish team, and I believe that 888 are currently the best available team (in the sense that they don't have a works contract anymore). I believe 888 own the cars. I'm sure Vauxhall has more important stuff to think about than trying to sell 3 racing cars, so they leave it all to 888.
Nationality does matter, I agree with redshoes. Just look at the works drivers: there's no manufacturer who hired 2 drivers of the same nationality, except Lada who has Shapovalov, but even with Lada the new driver is Thommo, making it a Brit, a Dutch and a Russian. Marketing is all that matters in the sport, when you talk about manufacturers!
Old 24 Aug 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2527233)   #65
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
888 own the cars.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2528406)   #66
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Remember a while back in Autosport there was a small square saying that Team Parker Racing is Considering running A BMW 320si in 2010 alongside its PCCGB Programme.
It was in the magazine so i can't get a link.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2529339)   #67
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
888 have the 3 Vectras up for sale in Autosport this week

"Triple Eight Race Engineering offer for sale their three 2009 VX Wauxhall Vectra British Touring Cars. Packages available - price on application".

Maybe its me - but it seems very soon to be offering them for sale if they don't know what they are doing next year.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2529353)   #68
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not at all, its normal to advertise now. If they are in talks with a manufacturer, then it doesn't make sense to wait until the end of the season to put them up. And if they don't sell them and no-one else comes in (likely), then its not like they'll become slow cars over the winter.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2529401)   #69
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also in Autosport was a comment that Thorney Motorsport (see above) were considering a move to the BTCC.
Care to shed any light

Simon
Old 27 Aug 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2529414)   #70
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Touring Car website is reporting the Cartridge World/CVR have pulled out of the BTCC with immediate effect.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2529433)   #71
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
See the Silverstone race thread for more discussion on CW/CVR
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117925

Hopefully Cartridge World will be back as a sponsor in 2010 ?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2529509)   #72
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
888 have the 3 Vectras up for sale in Autosport this week

"Triple Eight Race Engineering offer for sale their three 2009 VX Wauxhall Vectra British Touring Cars. Packages available - price on application".

Maybe its me - but it seems very soon to be offering them for sale if they don't know what they are doing next year.
So 888 are not going to keep the cars and run them next year, they also haven't accounted for the fact the cars may be written off by the end of the season with all the accident damage likely to come!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2529540)   #73
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So 888 are not going to keep the cars and run them next year, they also haven't accounted for the fact the cars may be written off by the end of the season with all the accident damage likely to come!
That is why it says... Packages available! It could be either, 'Sold As Seen' or 'Fully Prepared'!

And, NO, it has been said recently that 888 were not expected to run the Vectra's in 2010.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2529560)   #74
M0T0RSP0RTDAN
Rookie

M0T0RSP0RTDAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
also in Autosport was a comment that Thorney Motorsport (see above) were considering a move to the BTCC.
Care to shed any light

Simon
I saw this too, with Tom Onslow Cole possibly returning! If im honest, I never heard of the Dunlop Sport Maxx Cup till i read about it today.

I havent read trhough the whole of this thread but Volvo look to be intrested in wtcc which may lead to a btcc team too, and theres rumours about Kia being intrested?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2529564)   #75
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forum MotorsportDan.

888 have had Kia guests at races before but I don't know if anything more has ever come of it. I think for the past 4-5 years there's been a consistent rumour about Kia.
Closed Thread