Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Jan 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1194541)   #26
dinkytoy
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
dinkytoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chevy test!

(source www.fiawtcc.com)

The very first Chevrolet Lacetti for the FIA World Touring Car Championship has been shaken down at the MIRA Proving Grounds in Nuneaton, Great Britain, yesterday. British driver, Rob Huff, put the first miles on the clock for what is Chevrolet’s first ever factory racing effort in Europe.
[Read rest of story here]

Last edited by touringlegend; 6 Jan 2005 at 20:36.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1194547)   #27
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Photo gallery of the Chevy test
Old 6 Jan 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1194579)   #28
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's odd seeing a road car-based racing car and thinking, "I've never seen one of those on the road."
Old 6 Jan 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1194780)   #29
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ohhhh that looks nice
Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1194796)   #30
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's alright for a Daewoo...sorry Chevrolet.

Actually far more pleasing to the eye in that sky blue shade than it was in the initial dark blue scheme.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1194823)   #31
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
even with chevy grille and badges i think it's quite a cheap looking car, especially next to an alfa or bmw.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1194854)   #32
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich R
even with chevy grille and badges i think it's quite a cheap looking car, especially next to an alfa or bmw.
Would it have mattered if instead of Chevy, it was badged an Opel or Vauxhall Lacetti? Though I agree with you that Chevy in North America, is known as the entry level or value version marque of GM.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1195076)   #33
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A switch to the Chevvy brand in the UK will raise the profile and probably the perception of a better 'lifestyle' choice.

Saying you 'drive a Chevrolet' is always going to sound better than a Daewoo.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1195096)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

And those who bought a new Daewoo on some deals within the past six months are having it taken back and replaced by a new Chevrolet free of charge.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1195182)   #35
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to quote Jeremy Clarkson on the subject on Daewoo becoming Chevrolet: "That's a brilliant idéa! I'm going to change my name to George Clooney. That'll make me attractive and you'll all wanna sleep with me!"

Old 7 Jan 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1195299)   #36
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
I'd like to quote Jeremy Clarkson on the subject on Daewoo becoming Chevrolet: "That's a brilliant idéa! I'm going to change my name to George Clooney. That'll make me attractive and you'll all wanna sleep with me!"

Typical Jeremy Clarkson (or do I have to say George Clooney?)
Old 7 Jan 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1195429)   #37
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant example, and it sums them up Johan.

I presume future models from Chevrolet will be better though.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1195446)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This one does have a bit of a 1994 Toyota Carina look to it!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 02:45 (Ref:1195665)   #39
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't mean to be hard on them, they are going racing after all, i just think next to the bmw and alfa, both of which i find very classy looking, it just seems to lack something. but if it's a winner it may start to appear more attractive.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1195666)   #40
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Indeed.

And those who bought a new Daewoo on some deals within the past six months are having it taken back and replaced by a new Chevrolet free of charge.
I assume you mean new Chevy badge and not a whole new Chevy car? If you got a whole new car, you would have gotten an add'l 6 months of warranty? Not a big deal, but not a bad deal either?
Old 8 Jan 2005, 02:48 (Ref:1195667)   #41
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
A switch to the Chevvy brand in the UK will raise the profile and probably the perception of a better 'lifestyle' choice.

Saying you 'drive a Chevrolet' is always going to sound better than a Daewoo.
So Chevy and Vauxhall would co-exist in the UK? What about Chevy and Opel together?
So would Vauxhall/Opel remain the more "expensive" brand while Chevy be the entry level brand?
Old 8 Jan 2005, 02:58 (Ref:1195670)   #42
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich R
i don't mean to be hard on them, they are going racing after all, i just think next to the bmw and alfa, both of which i find very classy looking, it just seems to lack something. but if it's a winner it may start to appear more attractive.
Funny you would mention that--b/c it's weird to see that one of the '92 BTCC championship contenders--the Toyota Carina--is sold in North America as the humble Toyota Corolla!! That's like a budget, family economy car. A 10K Cdn Toyota versus a 20K BMW!! As a result, I do have newfound respect for the humble NA badged Toyota Corolla!!
Old 8 Jan 2005, 06:18 (Ref:1195718)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Lacetti is not the best piece of automotive engineering in the world... it has been here for a couple of years, and only since Daewoo has pulled out of Australia, and discounted the heck out of the remaining stock, has the vehicle done any good...

As Astra or a Focus walk away from it dynamically...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Jan 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1200225)   #44
dinkytoy
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
dinkytoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the Liege Racing Show (Belgium 28/29/30 January) there will be the official press launch of the Chevrolet WTCC team.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1200247)   #45
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
I assume you mean new Chevy badge and not a whole new Chevy car? If you got a whole new car, you would have gotten an add'l 6 months of warranty? Not a big deal, but not a bad deal either?

No, a whole new car.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1200600)   #46
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkytoy
During the Liege Racing Show (Belgium 28/29/30 January) there will be the official press launch of the Chevrolet WTCC team.
Both the car and Alan Menu at the Autopsort show - car looks better in the flesh than in photos.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1200641)   #47
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoutsider
Both the car and Alan Menu at the Autopsort show - car looks better in the flesh than in photos.

I'd second that, in the flesh the car looks pretty good (as does the Focus WTCC car that was on the Ford stand).
Old 4 Feb 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1217646)   #48
+ its a Chevy
Rookie

England
London
+ its a Chevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, who cares what it looks like if it races well?? As with most of the Chevrolet/Daewoo cars, the Lacetti/Nubira is or was based on the old Astra floorplan, disguarded when Vauxhall went to the Astra G format. How alike to a road going car are the WTCC cars anyway?? basically the same chassis and then everything else is upgraded ten times over. So far the car seems to have hit the mark and with the experience behind the scenes it should develop pretty well/quickly. Would GM enter a series like this just to be whipping boys? hope not......