Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Mar 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3624052)   #1
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Greenville, South Carolina
Madkart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DPi Discussion

Quite a few interesting words today from IMSA VP of Competition Simon Hodgson regarding DPi and how things will start out in 2017...

One team already evaluating a DPi program, Greaves Motorsport.

Thoughts?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3624058)   #2
Aces
Rookie

United States
Aces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's not to like? You can have the opportunity to race for overall victories for races like Daytona, Sebring etc. They seem to have a solid plan, but I personally think we will see very few Dpi cars next year. The majority could be grandfathered p2 and wec spec p2 (which isn't a bad thing) but that's just me I could be wrong.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3624065)   #3
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
“I’m quite excited about the American racing and the way it will go,” Greaves said. “It seems like it will be more affordable racing than P1."

“There’s a willingness to do things. And trying to do something for $10 million is sort of doable. To do it for $150 million, you’ve got to have something special."

Is this the start of the end of P1 ?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 01:38 (Ref:3624066)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
What's not to like? You can have the opportunity to race for overall victories for races like Daytona, Sebring etc. They seem to have a solid plan, but I personally think we will see very few Dpi cars next year. The majority could be grandfathered p2 and wec spec p2 (which isn't a bad thing) but that's just me I could be wrong.
Welcome to the forum Aces! I agree, the timeline is short for getting new cars to the track at Daytona. First of all we haven't seen any of the 2017 P2 cars which will be the base for the DPi's so if there is any delay there it will further hamper the ability of a team/manufacturer to put together a DPi program. If we can get "regular" 2017 P2's on the grid at Daytona that is great, but that might be pushing it as well.

Depending on the source we have 4-8 manufacturers evaluating a DPi program. Will they all make it to the grid next year? Who knows.

Possible DPi's
Cadillac-GM
Mazda
Nissan
Acura-HPD
BMW
Lexus-TRD
Lambo/Bentley - some VAG brand
Old 19 Mar 2016, 01:42 (Ref:3624067)   #5
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Too bad it's performance balanced to the minutest detail, they're stuck on continental tires and there's only 4 chassis's to choose from. Besides that it looks like a good idea for manufacturers to get 'cheap' wins.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 01:53 (Ref:3624070)   #6
Madkart
Rookie

Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
'cheap' wins.
OUCH!
Old 19 Mar 2016, 02:43 (Ref:3624078)   #7
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
What's not to like?.
It's the dp principle in a different shape. It's manufacturers buying sticker space and crediting themselves with a win.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 02:50 (Ref:3624080)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
It's the dp principle in a different shape. It's manufacturers buying sticker space and crediting themselves with a win.
To be fair they also create an engine and some body parts.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 03:26 (Ref:3624086)   #9
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkart View Post
“I’m quite excited about the American racing and the way it will go,” Greaves said. “It seems like it will be more affordable racing than P1."

“There’s a willingness to do things. And trying to do something for $10 million is sort of doable. To do it for $150 million, you’ve got to have something special."

Is this the start of the end of P1 ?
No. But surely an evolution is coming.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 19 Mar 2016, 05:16 (Ref:3624098)   #10
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkart View Post
OUCH!
Cheap as in inexpensive (relative to lmp1).
Old 19 Mar 2016, 05:35 (Ref:3624102)   #11
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa Romeo said their looking into it. Even though I kinda doubt they are.

Audi maybe interested. When IMSA send out their first engine regs, a 5.2L V10 was on the list, unless it was really Lamborghini.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:54 (Ref:3624186)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Alfa Romeo said their looking into it. Even though I kinda doubt they are.

Audi maybe interested. When IMSA send out their first engine regs, a 5.2L V10 was on the list, unless it was really Lamborghini.
Could be Audi as well. We really have little knowledge of who is doing what other than GM and Mazda.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3624203)   #13
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think is a good idea, then the ruleset and the implementation of the rules will define if it will be successful. It would be also interesting if the ACO makes the DPi and the LMP1 private compatible.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:48 (Ref:3624228)   #14
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
I think is a good idea, then the ruleset and the implementation of the rules will define if it will be successful. It would be also interesting if the ACO makes the DPi and the LMP1 private compatible.
Honestly, you can see the irony behind this, if you consider that DPi will be an lmp2 chassis powered by a not spec engine, that basically is what r-one and CLM already are .

Back to topic, to me there is only GM really interested for a proper DPi! very likely mazda, HPD, someone else, will just fit an engine inside a standard lmp2 without any bodywork update. The reason to me is simple: why spend money in R&D for a custom bodywork, when will be bop to screw you?
just ask oreca...

The DPi concept is great, but 2017 is the wrong year. It'd be worked in 2012 as new DP3 gen, forcing ford and bmw to follow GM path.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3624234)   #15
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@carbon_titanium
I can agree with you regarding performance balancing. Manufacturers should make bodykits that are inefficient by it slightly resembles the whole brand/specific road car.

The only that counts is the driver's skill. Whoever is better on driving the DPi wins the race!
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3624236)   #16
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
@carbon_titanium
I can agree with you regarding performance balancing. Manufacturers should make bodykits that are inefficient by it slightly resembles the whole brand/specific road car.

The only that counts is the driver's skill. Whoever is better on driving the DPi wins the race!
well, then IMSA more than lmp2, had to choose the DTM route with spec aero parts for everyone. Once again it would be required a main factor: a direct manufacturers effort.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3624254)   #17
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DPi: great potential for growth of class competitors and series exposure, and equally great potential for a management mess...with BOP and the whole "keeping a link with ACO".

My personal feelings are:
1.) a strange feeling that ACO will follow our lead at some point down the road with their version of DPi. LMP1 for privateers isn't that far off anyway. Almost reminiscent of the GroupC/GTP to WSC era. Great for us right?

2.)BOP is necessary I guess but too much BOP I don't like. Nascar drove off a lot of fans when the cars were pretty much the same. And while racing between drivers is important...motorsports is unique in that there is also competition between the machines i.e. Ford vs Chevy. Rivalries like that are great. But the philosophy of DP and now DPi make those irrelevant. Motors with the same power curve, spec aero, etc. maybe great for an amateur class but top flagship class?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3624336)   #18
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
well, then IMSA more than lmp2, had to choose the DTM route with spec aero parts for everyone. Once again it would be required a main factor: a direct manufacturers effort.
For me, the DTM regulations is a failure because it's slow to implement. Besides, the problem lies with the Germans that selling the regs to the likes of Japan and USA would cope their losses, but it did little to gain revenues.

Speaking of Japan, Super GT might consider changing the top GT500 to a GT3-based car platform in the future since they can't convince the Germans to adopt their turbocharged inline-4 engines. So much for rule unification.

Now back to DPi as having the same torque, power, and everything else in the top class is like playing a sterile fighting game where you have 8 characters with equal moves. Honestly, IMSA is basically doing the same thing as ACO's LMP2 class but with manufacturer support.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3624470)   #19
Aces
Rookie

United States
Aces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also think that we won't see many European teams doing full season entries. Most likely for NAEC but that's about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a lot cheaper to do a full season in WEC or ELMS compared to IMSA?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3624471)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When we move to DPi, are Panoz planning a car? Or are we going to still have the DeltaWing? Or the DeltaWing GT?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3624480)   #21
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would love to see Panoz return to GT racing: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...-1-only-890000

Old 20 Mar 2016, 03:54 (Ref:3624989)   #22
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hoping IMSA allows Protoypes outside of the chosen 4 under special waivers or something.

Like the DW or a Roadster. They just can't be race anywhere else but IMSA. I wonder what Coyote will do?

I think if Class 1 regs are use, I hope they are not part of the main championship. It should it's own series that run 100 mile sprint races.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:06 (Ref:3624995)   #23
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Like the DW or a Roadster. They just can't be race anywhere else but IMSA. I wonder what Coyote will do?
Coyote is owned by Spirit of Daytona. SoD will probably continue in DPi.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:07 (Ref:3624997)   #24
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
I think if Class 1 regs are use, I hope they are not part of the main championship. It should it's own series that run 100 mile sprint races.
The problem is that DTM USA is dead before it started, as well as "bureaucratic" problems regarding rule unification.

Germany wanted cost-containment while Japan wanted car development, personally I believe that the former shouldn't sell their regulations to the latter as they won't get anything in return!
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3625069)   #25
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Coyote is owned by Spirit of Daytona. SoD will probably continue in DPi.
You mean Action Express?

It is something I'm somewhat curious about. If the Coyote business is building the DP chassis and parts for them, what happens when there are no more DPs? They don't build any other cars as far as I know.

I'm sure DPs will still run around in historics, but I'm not sure how big of a business supplying parts for those is...