Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 Jul 2002, 18:19 (Ref:330392)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calgary and Brazilian venue in 2003? (Brazilian press)

The Brazilian newspaper "O Estado de São Paulo" publishes today an interview of Chris Pook by journalist Almir Leite.

Pook states that CART is working to have Brazil back to the calendar - next year is a possibility, definitely. Pook would not disclose the name of the venue, but it is understood that only Rio (Nelson Piquet circuit) and Salvador (street track, yet to be conceived) are the only candidates. Thus, Brasilia seems to have been dropped as an alternative.

The article also hints that Canada may get a fourth race: Calgary might be added to the 2003 CART schedule, besides Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Last edited by Muzza; 9 Jul 2002 at 18:20.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 18:21 (Ref:330395)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Re: Calgary and Brazilian venue in 2003? (Brazilian press)

(sorry for the empty message - administrators, please delete this. Thanks.)

Last edited by Muzza; 9 Jul 2002 at 18:24.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 18:31 (Ref:330403)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Calgary? Not exactly a huge market. I'll believe that one when I see it.

But as for Brazil, it's a shame it ever had to come off of the schedule in the first place.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 19:45 (Ref:330476)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, Edmonton used to successfully host Can-Am races at EIS (sadly now gone). I don't see why Alberta couldn't host a CART race. I'd prefer a road course to a street one, though. Would the race go to Race City? Does anyone have a map of the course? Their site seems to be down right now.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Jul 2002, 21:06 (Ref:330534)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hoped people followed CART here like I do.... but as no one else does CART will never come to Catalonia
Old 9 Jul 2002, 22:07 (Ref:330582)   #6
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race in Calgary. Now that is interesting. Edmonton did host the Cam-Am but that was many years ago. The last big event was the CASCAR at the City Center Airport. The track layout was wide open, like at Cleveland Burke Airport. The event drew close to 20,000 fans over two days. Not bad for for a NASCAR wantabe series.

A race in Alberta would be a big hit because we are starved for racing action here. Either city would do a great job in hosting an event. Add Molson as the the promoter an I could see another successful Canadian event.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 22:23 (Ref:330601)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
I read the O Estado de São Paulo interview with Chris Pook again and he states that CART will announce the 2003 calendar in ten days. In my opinion - and assuming this really happens - it will be a tentative schedule only. It is fairly early to announce a firm calendar for next year, especially for a category that, regrettably, is buried in turmoil.

Paul Collins, as far as I know the Race City Speedway website has never become operational. I am also looking for the lay-out of this track for a while already. Any information would be welcome.

And yes, the Edmonton International Speedway - a nice track, with an open lay-out - was closed in 1986 when the land was sold to real estate developers - the same fate as Bridgehampton in New York (Long Island) and Riverside in California. Sprawl also maimed Zandvoort in Holland and Kyalami in South Africa, that lost part of their original lay-out to housing and commercial developments.

MolsonBoy, another reason for CART to stop in Alberta would be... the girls! (I guess we both agree about that!)
Old 10 Jul 2002, 02:41 (Ref:330694)   #8
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muzza, Race City's web site can be found at:
http://www.racecity.com/
There is no map of the track layout. I have not been there in long time but the site would need some $$ to bring it up to CART standards. I will keep looking for some images of the race track.

And yes the girls.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 03:55 (Ref:330711)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by MolsonBoy
Muzza, Race City's web site can be found at:
http://www.racecity.com/
Thanks, MolsonBoy - I was trying a wrong URL.

And that's the first time I see a track web site that... does not show the track lay-out!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 11:23 (Ref:330968)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canada's finest motorsport facility?

<snicker>... <chuckle>... <LOL!>

I've found a track map, though:

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/racecity.html
Old 10 Jul 2002, 11:53 (Ref:331008)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART should have never left Brazil, unless it wasn't their fault, then forget what I said! But great news nonetheless if it does return as CART does have a fanatical following down there. Really, they should have a couple of races there.

As for another Canadian event, Toronto proved just how popular the series is there, so if a site can be found, why not?!?!