Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Dec 2002, 19:50 (Ref:449278)   #1
Dennis Bryan
Rookie

Dennis Bryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport International

Interested to read Marshalls could get half price or free tickets for Autosport. Just phoned them - "not to my knowledge" was the reply!! Boo hoo. Can anyone point me in the right direction??
Old 13 Dec 2002, 22:20 (Ref:449395)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, you can access the Austosport website and read the latest F1 news for free. Surely you don't think they are going to send you free magazines. :confused:
Old 13 Dec 2002, 22:41 (Ref:449410)   #3
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Valve, Autosport International is a motorsport show which takes place annually each January, so that's what's being referred to here, not the magazine.
As for the question here, the answer is covered in this topic http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=30746 in the Marshal's Forum. Hope that helps.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 11:54 (Ref:449745)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Darn!! I was wondering about this strange question. DOH!! :confused:
Old 15 Dec 2002, 22:42 (Ref:450685)   #5
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Autosport International

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Bryan
Interested to read Marshalls could get half price or free tickets for Autosport. Just phoned them - "not to my knowledge" was the reply!! Boo hoo. Can anyone point me in the right direction??
All BRSCC members (including marshals) can get a free ticket for the show.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 08:24 (Ref:450895)   #6
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
And we know that's because a certain Mr B Cottrell, as well as being a BRSCC Clerk of Course, is also employed by Haymarket who promote Autosport magazine.

Any chance in future he can negotiate the same detail for ALL other marshals, irrespective of club?
Old 16 Dec 2002, 13:29 (Ref:451104)   #7
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry to point out that the answer to this is the same as volunteering for the Brands Formula Ford Fetsival - if you're prepared to pay the £30 or so BRSCC membership fee (less if you get your BRSCC card stamped at every BRSCC meeting), it is one of the perks.
But I'm sure our Bernie will let you in if you personally give him the £30.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 13:32 (Ref:451108)   #8
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you have to ring the NEC to get the free ticket or is my membership card enough to get in?
Old 16 Dec 2002, 14:00 (Ref:451139)   #9
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
To answer QBF, as now found on the other show thread, those of us who are marshals and go on the Thursday or Friday pay £20 to get in, whereas the public when they go on the Saturday or Sunday only pay £14.

Do you think it is right that marshals of other organisations are being fleeced like this, when we know others aren't?
Old 16 Dec 2002, 18:27 (Ref:451305)   #10
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
I'm paying £30 a year membership to save myself £20. It seems like Autosport has actually cost me £30, not £20. So who's being fleeced now
Old 16 Dec 2002, 21:37 (Ref:451417)   #11
micaz43
Rookie

micaz43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an easy way to get into Autosport and that is become a trainee scrutineer as we get to the press and trade days as an MSA Registered License holder and you dont have to pay to join any club as they are welcome of Trainees because we dont cost the club anything and you gain experience in the process.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 00:21 (Ref:451524)   #12
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Micaz are you sure?? If you read the reply I've had from Autosport (on the other thread) it is ONLY BRSCC that get in free and only because BRSCC pay for their members. As the lady for Autosport Marketing says they do not have an agreement with the MSA. Should we be asking WHY NOT.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 06:35 (Ref:451609)   #13
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Micaz, I have bought my tickets as a MSA licence holder (clerk of course, and marshal), and they still cost more (£20) than the public get charged (£14) for their entrance. So where's the gain?
Old 17 Dec 2002, 08:24 (Ref:451656)   #14
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
QBF, we all have to pay club subscription whatever club we belong to, so I'm afraid I don't agree with that line of argument.

If you've joined BRSCC in addition to your normal club just so that you can gain free entrance to the Autosport show, then I feel someone has definitely seen you coming and has rubbed their hands in glee!
Old 17 Dec 2002, 13:47 (Ref:451835)   #15
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Tarrant
QBF, we all have to pay club subscription whatever club we belong to, so I'm afraid I don't agree with that line of argument.
Steve, we shall have to agree to disagree.

I've read in the other thread that the BRSCC pay for each member that attends (it costs them money which comes out of subscription fees). If this is the case, you should be lobbying the marshals club that you belong to to do the same.

Would it help put it in perspective to use an example of a similar scenario. The BMMC do a fab magazine called Trackside. They also provide a limited insurance policy. If I want to receive the benefit of both (and I do), I pay a membership fee. I don't think I'm entitled to it because I'm a marshal. I weighed up the benefits of membership before joining and took the plunge.

Does this help clarify the position?

(I joined the BRSCC as my first marshalling club and continue to pay their subscription even though I am now also a member of BMMC.)

Last edited by QuickBrownFox; 17 Dec 2002 at 13:53.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 14:21 (Ref:451849)   #16
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
QBF, I agree to disagree with you there, and am still smiling!!!!!

But I think we've got away from the initial point raised of the public being allowed into the show cheaper than the marshals and officials (with the exception of the BRSCC).

Think we can agree that surely this isn't right.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 17:22 (Ref:451935)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Hmm, am I missing the point here?

Thursday & Friday are trade days. For whatever reason, the price is higher than on the public days. We, as MSA licence holders, can buy tickets for the trade days, a option not available to the general public. If we want to go on the public days, we can pay the same price as the general public. Seems simple to me!

Ain't it worth another six quid to go on a day when nobody under sixteen (MSA licence holders excepted)is admitted?
Old 17 Dec 2002, 17:31 (Ref:451941)   #18
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Dave, but its the principle!! that we as officials (without whom there would be no motorsort) have to pay an additional £6 to see exactly the same thing as Joe public and his under 16's. Unless of course the trade exhibition holds a particular interest for anyone.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 19:18 (Ref:452001)   #19
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Tarrant
Think we can agree that surely this isn't right.
Yes we can.

Last edited by QuickBrownFox; 17 Dec 2002 at 19:18.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 21:26 (Ref:452113)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chigley
Agreed Dave, but its the principle!! that we as officials (without whom there would be no motorsort) have to pay an additional £6 to see exactly the same thing as Joe public and his under 16's.
Dangerous things, principles. Doesn't the same principle apply to drivers, mechanics, vehicle manufacturers, team owners, etc., etc? Taking this argument to its logical(?) conclusion, anyone with the right credentials should be allowed in free on the trade days. 'Without us there would be no motorsport' applies eaqually to everybody in the sport - officials are not a special case.

As I see it, the Autosport Show is a commercial undertaking; the rules of the market apply - if you don't like what is being offered & the terms & conditions under which it is offered, you are free to walk away.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 17 Dec 2002 at 21:28.