Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Mar 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3805695)   #451
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
That monstrosity doesn't belong in GTE. I think the Ford GT is pushing it. This thing is a million dollar + semi prototype.
Everything McLaren makes today is a "semi prototype."
Old 4 Mar 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3805706)   #452
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About "prototype" issue, do we want to talk about a MR 911?
Old 4 Mar 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3805715)   #453
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That monstrosity doesn't belong in GTE. I think the Ford GT is pushing it. This thing is a million dollar + semi prototype. I really don't understand why they'd do this car when they're doing a 720s GT3 which would suffice with some upgrades (or downgrades) and bop. It'd save the company money and could actually have customer cars for a reasonable price. If the base car costs over a million, imagine how much trying to run a private effort with it would be! I don't understand the logic in running it. But whatever McLaren decides, can't say they make the best decisions recently
This situation reminds me when the McLaren F1 GTR started to race in the BPR in 1995, neither car was as extreme as this one.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3805735)   #454
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Someone suggested it could be a replacement for the GT86 as a spec racer. Thoughts?
Old 4 Mar 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3805752)   #455
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good analysis of the future of GTE / GTLM in DSC.
Corvette C8 mid-engined, McLaren Senna, Lamborghini, Toyota Supra, Glickenhaus SCG 004 and TVR Griffith could be in the series in the future.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...s-staying.html
Old 4 Mar 2018, 20:01 (Ref:3805770)   #456
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
And rumoured to be a GTE, yes?
Rear bodywork is too long and the diveplanes look too big for a real car.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3805890)   #457
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That monstrosity doesn't belong in GTE. I think the Ford GT is pushing it. This thing is a million dollar + semi prototype. I really don't understand why they'd do this car when they're doing a 720s GT3 which would suffice with some upgrades (or downgrades) and bop. It'd save the company money and could actually have customer cars for a reasonable price. If the base car costs over a million, imagine how much trying to run a private effort with it would be! I don't understand the logic in running it. But whatever McLaren decides, can't say they make the best decisions recently
It is quite ridiculous, isn't it? If this is their GTE car.
Having said that, the whole 500 unit production run is already sold out. If there is to be a racing version, has anyone placed an order for this racing version? Or will they actually build more than 500 units?

Sportscar racing being what it is though, it seems inevitable that we will just see more and more expensive cars being raced until it all melts down and we start again. Again.

What really boggles my brain is the price difference between GTE/3 and LMP2/3. In performance per £/$/€ terms it defies logic.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3805905)   #458
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is a pic of that Supra.

https://twitter.com/stephenk22/statu...905437696?s=19
Old 5 Mar 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3805929)   #459
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Not a Super GT follower at all but could that be Toyota's new car for that series?

Either way, I think it looks good - much better than the uber ugly McLaren. And it's front engined!
Old 5 Mar 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3805934)   #460
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
About "prototype" issue, do we want to talk about a MR 911?
Why is there such a furore about the position of the current RSR's engine? The BMW M3 GT2 and Corvette C7R are similar to the Porsche but at the other end of the car.
BMW:

Corvette:
From this picture, the only bits of the Corvette's engine in front of the front axle centreline are some pipes/hoses.

The Aston Martin is similar, though pictures are harder to come by.
The M3 GT2 is the reason that Porsche can do this. One of the many waivers BMW applied for at the time was to move the engine well back in the chassis, almost into the cockpit.
That waiver eventually made its way into the regulations proper. The end result is that there is no such thing as a mid-engined car in the GTE regulations. The engine is either in front of or behind the cockpit. So there are front-engined (Vantage, M8, C7) and rear-engined (911, 488, GT) cars. The engine can then be moved fore or aft within that restriction. Chevrolet could do an Audi Quattro if they wanted to and put the engine between the headlights.
A manufacturer cannot, as Radio Le Mans/IMSA Radio have said, move the engine from in front of the cockpit to behind it.

Had to get that off my chest, it's been a bugbear of mine since the Porsche was announced.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3805994)   #461
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Not a Super GT follower at all but could that be Toyota's new car for that series?

Either way, I think it looks good - much better than the uber ugly McLaren. And it's front engined!
Not likely, they just brought out a new Lexus for GT500 and they have GT300 cars that don't need a replacement.

The above picture is fake by the way, it's some mockup by a random twitter user.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3806015)   #462
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Not likely, they just brought out a new Lexus for GT500 and they have GT300 cars that don't need a replacement.

The above picture is fake by the way, it's some mockup by a random twitter user.
Not a mockup - it's taken from Gran Turismo Sport.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3806024)   #463
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Indeed it is! Anyway, it's not the new Supra.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 21:56 (Ref:3806080)   #464
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not a mockup - it's taken from Gran Turismo Sport.
Right, it surprised me that someone really put that out there claiming it to be the car under the sheet.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 01:43 (Ref:3806108)   #465
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geneva Supra GTE peek. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnpU2...ime_continue=7
Old 6 Mar 2018, 07:37 (Ref:3806155)   #466
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
Why is there such a furore about the position of the current RSR's engine? The BMW M3 GT2 and Corvette C7R are similar to the Porsche but at the other end of the car.
That's the stock engine position for the Corvette and the BMW was never any kind of legal or reasonable to start with. (rather outside of the group just making fun of Porsche for the 911 being rear engined the M3 is just as disliked for being the car that started all this stuff)

Frankly I don't think almost anyone is aware of that particular section of the regulations, although you're right it's certainly in there now. The other one no one seems to be aware of is that the rules are worded such that you could use a stock hybrid assist system, somewhat like the Prius in GT300.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3806159)   #467
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
BMW:

Corvette:
From this picture, the only bits of the Corvette's engine in front of the front axle centreline are some pipes/hoses.

The Aston Martin is similar, though pictures are harder to come by.
The M3 GT2 is the reason that Porsche can do this. One of the many waivers BMW applied for at the time was to move the engine well back in the chassis, almost into the cockpit.
That waiver eventually made its way into the regulations proper. The end result is that there is no such thing as a mid-engined car in the GTE regulations. The engine is either in front of or behind the cockpit. So there are front-engined (Vantage, M8, C7) and rear-engined (911, 488, GT) cars. The engine can then be moved fore or aft within that restriction. Chevrolet could do an Audi Quattro if they wanted to and put the engine between the headlights.
A manufacturer cannot, as Radio Le Mans/IMSA Radio have said, move the engine from in front of the cockpit to behind it.

Had to get that off my chest, it's been a bugbear of mine since the Porsche was announced.
Explained in few words:
You're right posting that bmw and corvette (and basically any other FR layout gte/gt3) placed the engine close to the center of the car, but in their road versions the engine bay is already behind the front axle!

While as far I know it simply doesn't exist a road MR "porsche made" 911. Simple.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3806179)   #468
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Supra Is designed to GTE but they have no plan currently to enter it in any series... yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3806198)   #469
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!

GR Supra Concept
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3806201)   #470
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, no McLaren Senna GTE announcement at Geneva, just the GT-R version.

No confirmed plans to race McLaren Senna GT-R
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3806208)   #471
canaglia
Veteran

So.... any new gte at all

time to drop lamborghini rumor too. Just too hype fever.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3806224)   #472
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:

GR Supra Concept
This car looks fantastic and the McLaren Senna GTR looks great too.

Old 6 Mar 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3806249)   #473
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I have to admit the McLaren looks much better in 'race trim'. Also, the Toyota looks a bit outdated already imo, very similar to the outgoing CR-7.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 23:35 (Ref:3806385)   #474
carbsmith
Veteran

The Supra isn't really a proper car, it has a few styling concessions. I imagine the only way you'll potentially see that program go forward is if Class 1 falls apart and Super GT moves to GTE based regulations.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 05:09 (Ref:3806489)   #475
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
The Supra isn't really a proper car, it has a few styling concessions. I imagine the only way you'll potentially see that program go forward is if Class 1 falls apart and Super GT moves to GTE based regulations.
I think they're better off using the Lexus LC (maybe LC F if produced). I like the fact that they're bringing back the Supra, but I am not a big fan of this new one.