Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 26 Feb 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1236681)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carrol Shelby's AC Cobra

I was watching a TV show this morning called "American Muscle", which as the name implies is about American muscle cars. They had the story of Carrol Shelby, and how he built the Shelby AC Cobra, one of the most fantastic cars ever built IMO.

It combined a beautiful English sports car body, the AC Bristol, with the massive power of the American V-8's, anywhere from 289 to 427CI! It was extremely popular here, but I'm not sure what the Brits thought about it.

So what did you guys across the pond think of this car, and why didn't anyone over there try and replicate something like it? Did the English style with American V-8 power turn you on, like it did us, or did you think it was quite a mess?

Just trying to get some opinions on this great car...

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1236737)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
and why didn't anyone over there try and replicate something like it?
The UK kit car market is crawling (or perhaps slithering?) with replica AC Cobras, some of which handle better than the original and some of which are no more than Cortinas and Sierras in disguise!
I think the AC Cobra is seen over here as one of the greatest sportscars ever.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1236762)   #3
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allards in the '50s had various V8s on them:Ford flatheads, Cadillac 331, Chrysler 331.
Sunbeam Tiger, Ford 260 ci, later 289.
Jensen Interceptor had Chrysler 440 engine.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 27 Feb 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1237573)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
Allards in the '50s had various V8s on them:Ford flatheads, Cadillac 331, Chrysler 331.
Sunbeam Tiger, Ford 260 ci, later 289.
Jensen Interceptor had Chrysler 440 engine.

I forgot about those Allards, and I never knew the Interceptor had a 440! I do remember those Tigers though. Not many of them left around.

None were nearly as successful as the Cobra though.

There are some fine replicas of the Cobra over here also, and the classic car shows are filled with them. I almost want to get one, but it's alittle to rich for a play thing at $35-40,000. Got to hit that lottery!

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Feb 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1237824)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some of those replicas are great cars but I think if I was to spend that much I'd rather drive an original design than a copycat car. The replicas also tend to have more shiney chrome bits than the real thing!
Old 1 Mar 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1238535)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
Some of those replicas are great cars but I think if I was to spend that much I'd rather drive an original design than a copycat car. The replicas also tend to have more shiney chrome bits than the real thing!

I kind of thought the same thing... until I got a ride in one!

My goodness, is that car fast! You can hardly ease off of the clutch without chirping the tires, and those great sounding side-pipes are just beautiful. With 427CI under the hood of this very light car, it has to be the fastest car I've ever been in. Its a real adrenaline rush!

Danica Patrick
Old 1 Mar 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1238943)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you like a car so intimidating that you automatically check your life insurance is up to date before you get in it, then the Cobra (in all its forms) is the one for you.

I've never been a great fan, but that's just a subjective thing I suppose. There are many different kits available in the UK, some better than others. The Dax variations using Jag units and running gear were ... interesting!
Old 1 Mar 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1238997)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
some of which are no more than Cortinas and Sierras in disguise!
You would be laughed out of town with a 4cyl Cobra, surely? There was one here in Australia years ago (about 20yr from memory) powered by a 454 Chev twin turbo on LPG... Unfortunately regs have killed off side pipes for a few years now.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1239130)   #9
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My dad built a Cobra from an XJS, he had the engine tuned ....
I could find more when he his home .
But Ive Been told it beaten Porchse (sp?) 911's when my dad had it, as i said ill get more info later if anyone is intrested.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1239261)   #10
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
You would be laughed out of town with a 4cyl Cobra, surely?
Indeed. The Pilgrim Sumo started life as a Cortina based kit and it could be built to really look the part with all the right 'brightwork', interior detail, wheels etc but then when you turn the key....
As for sidepipes, in the UK they're ok as long as they don't stick out beyond the outermost bit of body so on a Cobra they're ok because they don't stick out further than the wheel arches, and they must have a heatshield.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 00:56 (Ref:1239608)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Hmmm, 4 cylinder Cobra's kind of kills the whole concept, doesn't it?

May as well have left the original 4 banger in the car, and just left it an AC Bristol!

Side pipes are still very much in style here in the States. Very popular on classic muscle cars, although most production Vipers came equipped with them also. There may be some legalities about them, but hey, if your driving a loud, gas guzzling big-block, muscle car, your already something of a rebel, and politically incorrect to, so you won't care about some minor, unimportant, busy body laws!

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Mar 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1239755)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The original AC Ace never had a 4 cylinder engine, they used AC, Bristol and Ford 6 cylinders...
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1239878)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spookily enough, I was talking to a mate last night. He's a decent mechanic and has always been a big fan of kit cars - started with a Robin Hood and has graduated up to the GT40 he has now (beautiful beast ).

Well guess what he's just bought? Not just another kit car, but the manufacturing rights and blueprints etc. for a Cobra kit!
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1239904)   #14
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Well guess what he's just bought? Not just another kit car, but the manufacturing rights and blueprints etc. for a Cobra kit!
Wow, I wish him good luck with that one! I hope he's not wanting to make a living out of it....
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1239907)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Do you know which make it is? It all sounds interesting and very best of luck to him.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1240069)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Don't know the make, but I'll find out. He won't be giving up his day job, and he's planning to build a new house this year, so I'm pretty sure his 2005 sales targets will be pretty... er... realistic!
Old 2 Mar 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1240457)   #17
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
At least anyone who bought that kit under it's last owner will be able to get parts and information.