Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Sep 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3763679)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
1 Million Place Grid Penalty

I know Dr Evil doesn't run F1 but why do they give ridiculous grid penalties.
Van Doorne had a 65 place penalty last race and now Alonso's got a 35 place penalty this race.
Hello theres only 20 cars on the grid,F1's supposed to be the apex of motor racing technology but they cant figure out how many cars they have on the grid...
Old 2 Sep 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3763716)   #2
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's bordering on infantile application of idiotic rules.... Someone has to see some sense - and soon!
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3763735)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a fine example of the stupidity that has befallen F1 in recent years.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3763736)   #4
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How else would you penalize them?
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3763739)   #5
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've no idea - not even sure I would. I know that's simplistic and doesn't address the original issue, but the current rules make a laughing stock of F1.....
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3763744)   #6
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's there to stop the rich teams from changing their engines for every session.

The laughter should be aimed at Honda and Renault, who just can't get their act together.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3763746)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now Palmer and Hulk have been added. It just means quali is ruined before it begins. I can more understand a time penalty in quali, than a grid penalty
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3763748)   #8
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
It's there to stop the rich teams from changing their engines for every session.
Yeah, I know that. That's why I referred to the 'original issue'.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3763772)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Should be easy to stop.
Instead of grid places, take away constructors points.

You might imagine it would stop rather quickly
Old 2 Sep 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3763881)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!

Totally makes qualifying look like a farce when half the cars in the top ten have grid penalties.
Whats the point in having qualifying if half the cars can't start on the grid position they qualify in?....
Old 2 Sep 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3763886)   #11
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nearly half of them start on the back row..How do they work that out? It needs sorting urgently and I think Ross will.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 21:48 (Ref:3763899)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Nearly half of them start on the back row..How do they work that out? It needs sorting urgently and I think Ross will.
Somewhere I read a report of Brawn's comments that suggested it would need to be addressed when the next engine rule changes come in. 2021 was mentioned as I recall.

Obviously once one has most of the grid on grid position penalties the large and absurd position adjustment number are required in order to correctly position the cars at the penalty end of the grid using comparative penalty point numbers.

Perhaps they could save money by abandoning qualifying and simply working out start positions based on the number of penalty points applied for changes at each race.
Old 3 Sep 2017, 01:33 (Ref:3763939)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
How about... a car with an engine penalty can't participate in qualifying at all?
The marketing team would implode...
Old 3 Sep 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3763987)   #14
alfettafan
Rookie

alfettafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone explain how The penalties are actually applied ? Verstappen has a 20 place penalty and starts 14th, Saint has a ten place penalty and starts 15th ? How is that possible ?
Old 3 Sep 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3764024)   #15
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettafan View Post
Can anyone explain how The penalties are actually applied ? Verstappen has a 20 place penalty and starts 14th, Saint has a ten place penalty and starts 15th ? How is that possible ?
The F1 site lists the penalties as:
Alonso 35, Ricciardo 20, Verstappen 20, Sainz 10, Hulkenberg 10, Palmer 15

Applied to Qualifying
OrigDriPenNew
2VER2022
3RIC2528
4STR 4
5OCO 5
6BOT 6
7RAI 7
8VET 8
9MAS 9