Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What's the second best open wheel series?
CART 48 78.69%
F3000 2 3.28%
Nissan World Series 2 3.28%
IRL 4 6.56%
F3 2 3.28%
Other =:-o 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Apr 2003, 21:04 (Ref:578933)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Best open wheel series after F1?

F1 is, of course, the top open wheel series, nut I wonder what must be considered as the second highest series in the world.

I know this can be a bit undetermined: car perfomance?, drivers?, history?, etc But I prefer to choose what series has the most pretigious title: is more significant to be champion in CART or in F3000, etc?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 21:51 (Ref:578938)   #2
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A CART champion has to be able to run well on different kinds of tracks. I voted for CART... I follow the IRL because that's where all of my favorite CART drivers are ending up!!!
Old 23 Apr 2003, 22:11 (Ref:578929)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick note that at the start of this thread that any CART/IRL "war" posts will be removed. This is not the forum for it!

I voted for CART. No doubt.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 22:24 (Ref:578930)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Chariot racing with Ben Hur as the undisputed world champion.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 22:59 (Ref:578928)   #5
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol...rolllls at the chariot racing...good one

Pick's myself off the floor....

I voted for CART....

IRL...oval tracks only...
F3000 loosing its mass appeal, having a problem finding teams and drivers this year

Last edited by mariov; 23 Apr 2003 at 23:02.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 23:00 (Ref:578935)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
CART. On all the factors Schummy mentions.

They have the best drivers, especially with new stars like Bourdais, Haberfeld, Manning and Hunter-Reay. The IRL comes close on that score though.

Their cars are the most powerful outside F1, and are deisgned in such a way that allows close wheel-to-wheel racing. It's not a true spec series, but there is much mroe variety up the front than F3000.

CART's history includes some of the great names of motorsport, from Mario, Emmo, Mansell and Montoya to Rahal, Sullivan, Tracy and Zanardi. More true greats ahve raced there (with success) than anywhere else bar F1.

Most F3000 champions don't get great drives - guys who have mediocre F3000 results but shone in F3 or have good testing records will be chosen in preference. CART champions have now walked into Williams 3 times, and Toyota once.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 23:30 (Ref:578931)   #7
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart, they don't race just in ovals.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 01:02 (Ref:578936)   #8
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART CART CART! So its not the series it once was. The series that attracted Mansell, Fittipaldi & Andretti, but guys from F3000 & Dallara Nissan would rather go to CART than stay where they are, if they cant jump to F1, and F1 refugees would be better off there too.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 01:16 (Ref:578932)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's so obviously Champ Car...as others have pointed out recently, a decade ago, it had arguably stronger drivers then F1, and although it's a shadow of what it was then, it's coming back. The easiest poll I've ever answered
Old 24 Apr 2003, 01:27 (Ref:578937)   #10
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be Cart
Old 24 Apr 2003, 02:26 (Ref:578934)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
F3000 is going into a slow decline, I think. I hope it recovers, because I can see it in Eurosport I don't know why it is happening, maybe the appearance in F1 of great drivers with small/zero experience in F3000 is damaging it as a feeder.

Nissan World Series is possibly gaining ground on F3000 as a feeder to F1.

It is a pity CART is experiencing such a less than optimum moment, as it has been my fav open wheel series to watch.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 03:16 (Ref:578973)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CHAMPCARS-hooowah! although Nissan world series is tremendous, seeing as both are now spec engine series...
but Champs do it all, short big long ovals-tight street, open road courses - even an airport, and the drivers, some of the best, if not the best...Zanardi (sniff tear) Montoya, Tracy, Fernandez, Villeneuve came from here, it is excellent stuff.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 06:31 (Ref:579061)   #13
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is all about MONSTER TRUCKS!!!!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 08:25 (Ref:579141)   #14
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A demolition derby at the end. There's often no bodywork either.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 24 Apr 2003, 08:26 (Ref:579143)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or wheels...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 24 Apr 2003, 11:21 (Ref:579267)   #16
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cart and f3, voted cart though
Old 24 Apr 2003, 14:00 (Ref:579422)   #17
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it still run I guess Formula 2 would be the next best series.

As F1 is a technical challenge, the series next below this should also be technical as well, so that cuts out Nissan WS and F3000 and as CART runs spec engines that as well.

With the current state of CART and IRL, I'd have to say the IRL is the next best series (if you look at the quality of drivers in both series in 2003 and the number of manufacturers in them).

(I don't want this to turn into a CART V IRL thing though, I like both series after F1).
Old 24 Apr 2003, 14:48 (Ref:579472)   #18
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happened to Formula 2?

CART rules after F1, even more so now they run at Brands. All we need is Spa and Monza and Estoril for CART and we are smiling.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 15:00 (Ref:579491)   #19
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I said F3000. I thought CART was just racing Ovals?
Old 24 Apr 2003, 15:25 (Ref:579518)   #20
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Tom, CART hasn't been a purely ovals series in years. The formation of the IRL in 1996, which was a breakaway from CART (much in the same way as the GPWC is touted to be a breakaway from F1) created a series which is exclusively oval-based, at least for the time-being. Presently, there are only 2 Ovals in this season, Fontana? and Lausitz, Germany (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)
CART all the way. I find it complementary as a series, not competitive to F1. the standard of racing is high, the cars, having manual sequential gearboxes and no traction control require more driver participation than F1. There's nothing like watching a driver like Tracy get crossed up, and fight to keep the monster under control when coming through a corner. And the sound of the Turbo - sweet! Has to be heard!

CART has been haemoraging since the CART/IRL split but since the introduction of the spec series (which personally I like) with the Cosworth engines wchich seem to be extremely reliabile, there is greater enphasis on the driver and the the crew, rather than the technology and engine manufacturer. CART has its own traditions, and its not as american, and hasn't been for quite a while, as many believe. The international focus of CART is one of the fundamental reasons for the IRL split.

Finally, I love the look of the cars, wide and aggressive. IRL cars look like dinky toys imho, albeit fast ones...
Old 24 Apr 2003, 15:29 (Ref:579521)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL - It being all-oval's is irrelevant, it's a competitive series with awesome racing.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 16:14 (Ref:579564)   #22
3state
Racer

Racer, I was simply pointing out to the laymen out there that it's IRL, not CART that runs solely on ovals. Personally I prefer Champcars to IRL but whatever floats your boat. Frankly, I'm over the whole IRL/CART rift and the animosity it fosters: i don't see the two series as competitive nor are the targetting the same market. Apples and Oranges, just as the comparision between CART and F1 that many make is. The two series are complementary and there is overlap, but I wouldn't consider them competitors unless one considers that all forms of motorsport (or sport or entertainment) is in competition for us, the comsumer's attention.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 16:22 (Ref:579575)   #23
3state
Racer

That being said, I'd say that as far as racing goes, no series, including F1 demands more of the driver than CART, and certainly far more than Indy. Like Indy the cars are manual, whereas F1 cars have the autoboxes. Does Indy have traction control? CART has abolished it (and the racing is better for it) whereas F! still has it for the time being at least (can't wait to see it abolished). And no series has such a variety of circuits, Road, course, ovals...and now in a number of international locations. The variety is without comparison to F1, and certainly to the IRL.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 16:52 (Ref:579603)   #24
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for CART. In fact, I like CART better than even Formula 1, because the racing is a lot closer and a lot more competitive. The 2000 Chicago 500 miler, where Montoya won over Andretti by less than 1/100 second, is still the best open wheel race I've ever seen, period. I've never experienced such a thrill in any Formula 1 race.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 17:27 (Ref:579641)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
CART after F1 certainly. There were always a link between the two series.