Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jul 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2927829)   #376
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
John Dagys vs EnduranceSportsCar twitter war is funny. Will Power and Dario Franchitti step aside...
If you read the mornings football gossip in the nationals, they'll each have a different variation on the same story, each have sources, often the same one.

Feed any news/rumours through your bull**** filter.

Quote:
I don't think we really need customer R18 and Abt speculation in two threads now do we? Make your minds up - here or in the R18 thread?
There's plenty actual news to fill the R18 thread.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2927841)   #377
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Before I ask for the rest of the Abt rumor talk be divertered to the 2012 WEC rumor thread (which is where this started, anyways), that's why I said satellite team.

I have little doubt that it'll to a large extent be a Joest effort with a different name.

Now to the WEC thread, as the mods would like for this discussion to be conentrated in one place, and I think that they should feel free to move what they wish to that thread.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2927850)   #378
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And how about United Autosports for that Audi R18?

They are an Audi Team and they have much more experience in resistence than Abt. And there are a lot of rumours/facts about the next year entry of United Autosport on the WEC.

It has more sense than the Abt rumours to me
Old 17 Jul 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2927864)   #379
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Abt has been working with Audi (both in racing and in road cars) for over a decade, and UA only started a deal with Audi in 2009 when the R8 LMS came out.

I do believe that UA is a relatively new team (to Audi), and Abt has been running R8s since the same time as UA.

That, and UA is believed to be pursuing an LMP2 program for the WEC and the ALMS.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2927882)   #380
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
John Dagys vs EnduranceSportsCar twitter war is funny. Will Power and Dario Franchitti step aside...
Yes, very funny! The especially funny part about Dagys' take on journalistic integrity is that Dagys works for Fox/News Corp/Murdoch!

Anyway, I have no idea what is going on, but I guess I'll have to side with Dagys and Graham Goodwin on this one. To not do so is downright silly, but that does not mean this won't happen. Maybe it's really secret. What would be Audi's motivation to do this? From what I can come up with and from what has already been said: Maybe to test new drivers (I'm sure Lotterer's performance at Kolles in 2009 carried some weight)? Maybe Abt has some sponsorship offers that are too good to pass up? Joest moving to Porsche eventually? Just to get more cars out there based on what happened this year? To have a team running established technology as a backup if the main team goes hybrid?
Old 18 Jul 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2927900)   #381
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes very entertaining, reminds me of a playground spat if anything else... Thanks for the laughs guys. FWIW a degree doesnt make a great journalist.

Satellite R18s? I would not think that UA would in there, do they have the budget for starters and Audi would want them to run pro drivers to get the best out of the car. And UA seem to be looking at P2.

Abt stepping up from DTM seems more likely, as mentioned the Red Bull money is handy and I know Im pulling stuff out of thin air here but Red Bull Audi driven by DC and a certain finnish driver who likes to explore the forests? Abt have no experience in running an LMP but well a DTM machine aint exactly a touring car or a GT so the leap may not that be big.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2928045)   #382
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IIRC, Audi were also pretty adamant in public that the R10 was too complicated for a privateer team to run them... then Kolles showed up.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 12:42 (Ref:2928081)   #383
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Ref the 'spat' I'd just say this - John Dagys works very, very hard to ensure that whatever he puts into the public domain is sourced and accurate and there are few, if any, in the press room that put as much into the task at hand as he does.

In addition he's fought hard to ensure that sportscar racing gets a decent show in areas where that's not exactly a given!

John's reference to his journalistic training is very relevant - That training teaches you that there is a massive difference between fact and opinion, it's a lesson that many in our national media appear to have forgotten of late.

His issue appears to be that in helping somebody else to understand the facts behind a paddock rumour, that assistance was both misreported and that misreporting was described in factual terms rather than the paddock source that it actually was.

For what it's worth, if that's the case I think he's perfectly justified to be irritated

For my ten Euro cents worth (which, let's face it isn't worth much these days) -

The place for opinion is in a comment column;

A rumour should be reported as exactly that; and

The job of a reporter is not "having a point of view" it's to report facts (hence the 'report' part of the job title!!)

None of us are perfect and I'm sure that on more than the odd occasion I've got things wrong (Ask my missus!) but there should always be a quality filter in place for both fact and emphasis.

When I first came back to writing after an enforced absence of nealy 20 years my then Ed said something which has stuck with me ever since - "We don't have to be first - but we should always try to be best."

Methinks if more tried to live by that tenet the information we all have, whether on the prospect of customer diesels or in the UK's national newspapers, would be rather more reliable!

Last edited by Graham Goodwin; 18 Jul 2011 at 13:06.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 12:45 (Ref:2928083)   #384
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Step back from the close up pixel peeping of photos.
Think BIG PICTURE.
Why are Audi racing, at all? It 'sexes up' the brand, and sells cars.
They built comfortable, quiet, reliable cars. BMW have that 'sexy' reputation. Now Audi have a chunk of it. They sell more cars.

That's it.

So. Why should they build MORE R18s when they have the best team already. Or are Joest to leave Audi, to run Porsches? Meaning Abt are next in line, and being groomed for 2014.

Stick that rumour in yer pipe, and send the smoke signals where you may.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2928096)   #385
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Well said GG.
Would you re-iterate this to the BBC please? They seem to have blundered down the 'first' route in these days of 24 hour news. They should be the bedrock!

If I want the 'facts' of a race, I do tend to read your report. No Pressure!
For clarification, btw? I no longer write anything for anyone... I'm just the chauffeur!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2928145)   #386
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
So. Why should they build MORE R18s when they have the best team already. Or are Joest to leave Audi, to run Porsches? Meaning Abt are next in line, and being groomed for 2014.
The other reason could be to run a car in another market - such as ALMS (heres hoping)
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2928157)   #387
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi have said, in an ideal scenario, they'd have semi-works teams backing up the factory, and competing in the likes of the ALMS.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2929387)   #388
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
MG to return - but with what??

http://www.motorstv.com/car/enduranc...le-mans-return
Old 21 Jul 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2929444)   #389
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I would have to say a LMP2 branded engine, but that's just a guess.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2929608)   #390
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I would have to say a LMP2 branded engine, but that's just a guess.
Yeah, that would be my guess. Maybe an updated Lola-MG LMP2 cost-capped package? Oddly enough, if RML and Strakka move to the new cost-capped HPD, the ancient RLR Lola MG may be the only non-cost-capped car left!
Old 27 Jul 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2931663)   #391
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Apparently there will be an 'exciting' announcement re team RLR today - presumably relating to the MG involvement
Old 27 Jul 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2931691)   #392
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Apparently there will be an 'exciting' announcement re team RLR today - presumably relating to the MG involvement
Isn't it just the MG sponsorship and possible technical involvement as stated on Lemans.org?
Old 27 Jul 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2931703)   #393
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Hope its a newer chassis ..... there is a few spare ones floating about right now , ex Level 5 for example .
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2931737)   #394
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Hope its a newer chassis ..... there is a few spare ones floating about right now , ex Level 5 for example .
Hopefully its an HPD 01g.

considering that HPd is producing a cost capped P2 it would be suicide to spend 300,000 anywhere else.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2931744)   #395
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Hopefully its an HPD 01g.

considering that HPd is producing a cost capped P2 it would be suicide to spend 300,000 anywhere else.
HPD is not the be all and end all....I'd go with a proven Lola chassis built to the new rules over a new chassis that's just been released.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2931782)   #396
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
HPD is not the be all and end all....I'd go with a proven Lola chassis built to the new rules over a new chassis that's just been released.
I am sure it will be a Lola as the original tweet about the announcement came from Lola
Old 27 Jul 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2931883)   #397
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Isn't it just the MG sponsorship and possible technical involvement as stated on Lemans.org?
Yes. I'm assuming this is a precursor to something, but it doesn't actually seem like anything will change this season apart from a bit of re-branding. Nothing about next year either.

MG say they want to further their brand through association with motorsport and this seems like the easiest and cheapest way to do it. The bare minimum. I'm not sure you could even really call this 'a return to motorsport'.

http://www.rlrmotorsport.com/news/mg...with-team-rlr/
Old 27 Jul 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2931885)   #398
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Simply appears to be a sponsorship deal for now.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2931908)   #399
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like all the real info is coming out right now on Midweek Motorsport. Will have to listen back to it later.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2931957)   #400
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Ok. you can have your lola. but the HP.d isnt a new chassis.its exactly the same chassis suspension etc its elcetronics that are on the cutting block. Those chipsets are darn expensive.

Quote:
Last week Level 5 Racing announced a switch from their Lola LMP2s to HPD ARX-01gs, starting at Silverstone. With the announcement of an -01g from Wirth Research, our efforts turned to determine what exactly a -01g is. The press release gives the basics, the -01g is a cost capped -01d. That means Level 5 will be able to run with more power, less weight (20 kgs less), and higher refueling flow rates, than the RML and Strakka -01ds as ACO rules have heavily penalize non-cost capped chassis'. But Nick Wirth was surprisingly reticent to talk -01g details, "Not yet...." is all he would elaborate when asked.

The exterior shape and the "hard bits" (engine, gearbox, tub, suspension, uprights, brakes, etc.) of the -01g are identical to the non-cost capped -01d. And some inquiring has determined at very least the -01g will have cast wheels and a reduced data system. The cast wheels in deference to cost-cap regulations. We also understand that some details will be simplified to reduce cost. For example, the standard HPD utilizes two alternators (a primary and a backup) and the -01g will more than likely only have one.

On an aside, we noted that one ARX-01 marque had been skipped. The ARX-01f. When asked, Wirth did offer this, "A space in the designation cycle has been left for future P1 developments..."
-MulsannesCorner

The Hpd isnt a new chassis though. It appears that they are simply removing the unnecessary electronics.

Considering the LMP2 HPD has been around for 4 years and that the Strakka HPd drove on kill mode for 24 hours and won.Id say the hpd is the way to go.

If not the HP.D then the Oreca. The lola simply is not competitive(thats why the tucker boys are leaving it behind).
the cost capped car is basically have the strakka car with more HP and less weight.What more could you ask for?

i hope you change your mind.