Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Jul 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4170412)   #26
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just mentioned on the quali stream that Barry Plowman has moved over to One Motorsport. Must have had enough of HARD!
Old 29 Jul 2023, 14:35 (Ref:4170413)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
They have broken the rules then.
No they haven't.

Shakedows are built into the schedule, but they occur after travelling (not before). They usually happen at the circuit on Friday PM.

https://twitter.com/BTCC/status/1540604184680173569?t=EnJsArserS88Tu05qwvoXw&s=19

And this article from last season, in which Turkington references the Friday shakedown...https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news/btcc-croft-turkington-claims-pole-in-retired-bmw/10328374/
Old 29 Jul 2023, 14:41 (Ref:4170414)   #28
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Just mentioned on the quali stream that Barry Plowman has moved over to One Motorsport. Must have had enough of HARD!
Surprised Matt Neal is still there!
Old 29 Jul 2023, 14:58 (Ref:4170415)   #29
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
They have broken the rules then.
How does doing a shakedown at an airstrip break the rules unless it's changed for this season? They've been doing shakedowns at testing strips, airstrips etc for years. I'm not talking about at the track that they did during Covid.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 15:28 (Ref:4170419)   #30
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Imagine Sam Osborne is feeling pretty great about himself right now! Could be an interesting race between the three of them tomorrow - will they let Sutton through?

Honda looking improved with Cook and Moffat both in the top 10.

Halstead over three seconds off…
Old 29 Jul 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4170420)   #31
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford 1-2-3

where is the Boost sledge hammer ?
Old 29 Jul 2023, 16:12 (Ref:4170426)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post

where is the Boost sledge hammer ?
Not required, because a Hyundai is second in the championship by only 6 points, followed by two BMWs.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 16:14 (Ref:4170427)   #33
Evantra
Veteran

England
Edwards off to a great start, 5 points deducted for an engine penalty.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...de-Edwards.pdf
Old 29 Jul 2023, 16:50 (Ref:4170434)   #34
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Edwards off to a great start, 5 points deducted for an engine penalty.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...de-Edwards.pdf

I believe she takes over Will Powell's allocation rather than retaining her own from Team HARD as it's done on a per-car basis not per-driver.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4170447)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I believe she takes over Will Powell's allocation rather than retaining her own from Team HARD as it's done on a per-car basis not per-driver.
In this case, it was under 1.16.2, which relates to the allocation per driver. She was not a late entrant / substitution which is the scenario you refer to (1.4.4).
Old 29 Jul 2023, 19:39 (Ref:4170456)   #36
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty curious to see NAPA's strategy tomorrow. Sutton's probably their only title candidate (with Cammish an outside candidate) and seeing how his championship lead decreased before I'd expect it to be of a team effort tomorrow but we'll see.
Honestly I'm quite surprised about the result. Definitely didn't see the Motorbase dominance coming and expected BMWs to be quicker.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 20:13 (Ref:4170460)   #37
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Definitely didn't see the Motorbase dominance coming and expected BMWs to be quicker.
Time again to remember how many people were completely writing off the Focus over the off-season!
Old 29 Jul 2023, 20:39 (Ref:4170468)   #38
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
No they haven't.

Shakedows are built into the schedule, but they occur after travelling (not before). They usually happen at the circuit on Friday PM.

https://twitter.com/BTCC/status/1540604184680173569?t=EnJsArserS88Tu05qwvoXw&s=19

And this article from last season, in which Turkington references the Friday shakedown...https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news/btcc-croft-turkington-claims-pole-in-retired-bmw/10328374/

Nope from this season the shakedown is FP1 no shakedowns before getting to the circuit. Also a limit on brake discs but pads are unlimited
Old 29 Jul 2023, 21:14 (Ref:4170470)   #39
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post

When Dynamics withdrawal was announced it was said One motorsport would receive background support. So I did find it interesting when Neal and Plowman appeared at HARD.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 21:25 (Ref:4170473)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As far as Neal is concerned, I think that his presence is more to do with his now being a driver coach, as mentioned by Crees during his interview with Rider.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 21:58 (Ref:4170477)   #41
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Nope from this season the shakedown is FP1 no shakedowns before getting to the circuit. Also a limit on brake discs but pads are unlimited
The 2023 regulations do say

6.11.1.b. A shakedown test is deemed to be a short operations check of no more than 50 miles total durationon a car prior to the car being presented for a BTCC Race Meeting. The official TOCA performance monitoring device must be operational at all times during a shakedown test. In accordance with
1.16.1, sealed engines must be used during a shakedown test unless with prior permission fromthe BTCC Chief Scrutineer.

After the first Championship Meeting registered teams and Drivers may only undertake a shakedown test with the specific prior written authorisation of the Administrator. Such authorisation will only be given in the case of exceptional circumstances and under any conditions that may be imposed
by the Administrator.
An authorised shakedown test cannot take place at any venue that hosts rounds of the Championship.

You can do a shakedown if you have specific authorisation which is not quite the same as no shakedowns

While a team can not travel to croft to have a shakedown if they had authorisation they could conduct a shakedown at an airfield

Has no team this year been giving that authorisation?
Old 29 Jul 2023, 22:51 (Ref:4170479)   #42
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Time again to remember how many people were completely writing off the Focus over the off-season!
Well, I'll be honest, I was a bit sceptical whether they'd be able to turn the performance of the car around so significantly. I mean, let me state that clear, I never thought Focus a BAD car, it was a race-winning car last year after all. But at the same time many times it was a quick-but-not-quick-enough sort of a car, not very fast everywhere, and with performance aided by Sutton who really did go the extra mile to put this car in the contention. But for a driver who could demolish his rivals in a very very good car (and without Lord Gow's boost games + hybrid allocation changing), his season last year was not stellar. So I expected a move forward but sort of thought that Hyundai and BMW would have the upper hand like they did last year. But they've made an amazing turnaround and now the Focus is very fast everywhere both in the quali and race trims, which wasn't always the case last year. Last year Sutton was moving significantly forward in races pretty rarely, often being somewhat a cork in the bottle, relying on fierce defence to finish on the podium or in the top 5. This year the car's flying in qualifying but in the races is similarly fast and racey. A mega job by Motorbase and I admit, I didn't expect such a leap forward.
Old 29 Jul 2023, 22:57 (Ref:4170480)   #43
FFSM
Rookie

FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was getting bored of F1 with Verstappen's dominance, and was looking forard to BTCC this weekend. Missed quali due to looking after pets for holidaying family member, and logged on to find a NAPA 1-2-3!

Groan.

Ash is definitely the best driver in the series - and one could make a case for Cammish. But when Rowbottom is up there too... at Croft... oh dear.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 00:26 (Ref:4170483)   #44
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Honestly I'm quite surprised about the result. Definitely didn't see the Motorbase dominance coming and expected BMWs to be quicker.
Same here. I was expecting Turks or Hill on pole. I still think they'll bag a couple of podiums if they get a good enough start. Cookie for race 3 win.

Tingram's getting even better at the chit chat, telling Steve he stopped for a picnic rather than having a massive spin.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 05:06 (Ref:4170504)   #45
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Tingram's getting even better at the chit chat, telling Steve he stopped for a picnic rather than having a massive spin.
So massive that apparently none of the cameras picked it up!

Looked like Dan Lloyd (I think it was) had a very near miss too that was briefly shown.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 05:34 (Ref:4170506)   #46
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
Was getting bored of F1 with Verstappen's dominance, and was looking forard to BTCC this weekend. Missed quali due to looking after pets for holidaying family member, and logged on to find a NAPA 1-2-3!

Groan.

Ash is definitely the best driver in the series - and one could make a case for Cammish. But when Rowbottom is up there too... at Croft... oh dear.
Why would you not expect Rowbottom to be up there at Croft he’s qualified in the same position as 2022
Old 30 Jul 2023, 06:05 (Ref:4170507)   #47
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I'm a Croft regular and while it's a bit weird seeing so many folk (and their bloody gazebos) it is interesting to see the BTCC circus again. Viewing at various points around the circuit, but without access to TSL and with duff PA , the Focuses looked visibly faster than anything else and were certainly driven with some serious commitment, especially into and out of Hawrthorn/ Chicane . Unlike the F4s , which are so hard sprung they were bucking and three wheeling more than any single seater I've seen for years , the BMWs rode through the same area like limos .
And God the Minis and Porsche support acts are beyond dull. Legends are fine but I'd rather see the Ginetta Juniors slipping and sliding than watch a pack of Porsches drone around .

Praying for rain- always sparks things up
Old 30 Jul 2023, 10:25 (Ref:4170556)   #48
MrsDoubtfire
Rookie

MrsDoubtfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Croft is interesting because the Finish Line speed trap times show purely how well the cars accelerate out of the slow speed chicane - one of the best indicators to date of relative power (and weight).

The rear wheel drive cars should have an advantage with traction out of the slow speed corner and if all other factors were equal it would translate into higher speed over the finish line. It clearly does not. The extra 30kg will be a factor, but one suspects there is something else afoot….?

Rumours in the paddock are that one team was experimenting with a radical new fuel in FP1 yesterday. Made from a blend of hydrogen and oxygen, this fuel achieves zero emissions. Further development required though, as it also achieved zero mileage….
Old 30 Jul 2023, 10:44 (Ref:4170560)   #49
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoubtfire View Post
Croft is interesting because the Finish Line speed trap times show purely how well the cars accelerate out of the slow speed chicane - one of the best indicators to date of relative power (and weight).

The rear wheel drive cars should have an advantage with traction out of the slow speed corner and if all other factors were equal it would translate into higher speed over the finish line. It clearly does not. The extra 30kg will be a factor, but one suspects there is something else afoot….?

Rumours in the paddock are that one team was experimenting with a radical new fuel in FP1 yesterday. Made from a blend of hydrogen and oxygen, this fuel achieves zero emissions. Further development required though, as it also achieved zero mileage….
It sounds as effective as running cars on bullshit.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 11:09 (Ref:4170562)   #50
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoubtfire View Post
Zero emissions from combustion?