Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: Wot do you think it takes more of to make it to the TOP
Talent 10 28.57%
Money 25 71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Aug 2002, 23:11 (Ref:364048)   #1
usa
Rookie

usa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talent or Money

Wot do you think it takes more of
Talent
or
Money
Old 22 Aug 2002, 23:42 (Ref:364065)   #2
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubts about that !!!
Lots of very talented drivers lost their chances cause of money shortage.

In year 2000 i finished 6th in the National TCC as a privateer, with an heavier, less powerful and less tested car. That costed me a LOT ... i am still paying it !!! No racing sice November 2000.

Just gime the money !!!

Dont you guys ever forget that despite the talent ... MONEY COMES FIRST.
Mercedes just bought Mr. Schumacher a seat at Jordan in SPA 91. He have a LOT of talent but with no money back in 91 ... the story would have been totally diferent.

Neverthless i respect YOONG, PP DINIZ, MAZZACANE, etc etc.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 07:30 (Ref:364203)   #3
flange-tastic
Rookie

flange-tastic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont be a dick! if you dont have the talent no one will give you money! and then you have to pay for your own racing dont you NME.......
If you have talent then you attract money.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 07:31 (Ref:364204)   #4
flange-tastic
Rookie

what the hell is TCC anyway??
Old 23 Aug 2002, 08:15 (Ref:364215)   #5
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont be a dick! if you dont have the talent no one will give you money! and then you have to pay for your own racing dont you NME.......

money comes before talent. why was mansell not spotted and had to flog his house to race? why are there lots of talented drivers out there not racing? because they dont have the money to run in a series.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 08:20 (Ref:364220)   #6
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A lot of the time the talent comes from practice, and to practice takes a huge initial injection of personal funds. There are no current drivers out there who have jumped into a car and gone fast straight away, who have then attracted big sponsors and got loads of money. It takes time to be fast and by time I mean seat time.

Matt
Old 23 Aug 2002, 09:07 (Ref:364253)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a rich daddie helps, especially if you want to get as high as F3. Most people get found out at that level or the one above - the odd few slip thru to F1. Remember Deletraz had a podium in f3000, Diniz scored points, Phillipe Adams won F3 races in the UK etc - and generally thet are slated as renta-drivers
Old 23 Aug 2002, 11:11 (Ref:364342)   #8
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to say talent is more important, surely the more talent you have the less money you need at the start, like Richard say it comes from practice but surely if your a natural talent you won't need as much practice there for you can concentrate on getting the money from the people who have it!

Flange I think TCC might be the T-Car Championship (but I'm just stabing in the dark)
Old 23 Aug 2002, 11:17 (Ref:364346)   #9
NME
Racer

Hey flange-tastic ... there is other thing you cant buy with money ... manners.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 11:24 (Ref:364351)   #10
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To even start in racing,you will need a lot of money!And if you have talent,that is not a garantee that you will atract money!!It all depends on a lot of factors,wich you flange-tastic havn't got a clue of !!what NME did in the TCC championship was a great achievement!
Old 23 Aug 2002, 11:30 (Ref:364354)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
money helps you find opportunities.
talent uses them...
Old 23 Aug 2002, 11:49 (Ref:364364)   #12
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
money helps you find opportunities.
talent uses them...
thats a very good way of looking at it actually!
Old 23 Aug 2002, 12:04 (Ref:364380)   #13
NME
Racer

Benny ... without talent you will NOT WIN for sure... But dont forget that even to start no matter what you need the BIG money (at least by my standards).
I tried to start in 1989. No previous Karting, due to same **** NO MONEY. Tested FF 1600 in Snetterton for the Junior series (P&O and Autosport Star of Tomorrow). I was asked GBP 35.000 (20% less after testing), that was impossible for me to find the money, despite the good times posted in pre-season, and despite the help of the my national press. I am no F1 Material, but also i am not a old lady. That year the series gave us DC, Kelvin Burt and Bobby Verdon-Roe.
Meanwhile all the racing that i did was paid by myself, so i took my chances, but this is not a easy or fair world.
I know personally a dozen TALENTED drivers of diferent family $$$ backgrounds and unfortunately for most i cant see results.
TALENT is very very important when you have to take the craner curves flat, or Eau Rouge, or Signes, or Monza's Parabolica ... but what if you cant even afford it !!????
MONEY MONEY MONEY was, is and always will be the key to a sucessfull racing career.
The RACING WORLD is NOT a meritocracy *** It is more like a Shopping Center !!!

Karting - National level - around €40.000/year
Formula Ford UK - around €85.000
Formula BMW Portugal (cheapest i know) - €35.000
Formula Renault Eurocup - €150.000
Formula 3 Spain - €200.000
Formula 3 UK - €500.000
Formula 3000 - €1.000.000

DISCOUNTS OFFERED TO TALENTED DRIVERS ONLY *** NO FREE RIDES !!! *** PAID DRIVES SOLD !!!
Old 23 Aug 2002, 18:23 (Ref:364609)   #14
flange-tastic
Rookie

"It all depends on a lot of factors,wich you flange-tastic havn't got a clue of !! "

Ha Ha Ha...... Bless.
Old 23 Aug 2002, 18:38 (Ref:364619)   #15
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a lot of hours working at McDonalds!

I might be able to afford a season of British F3 when I'm 71 years old.

Bugger! I guess I'm gonna have to steal or marry the cash instead!
Old 23 Aug 2002, 18:49 (Ref:364630)   #16
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by flange-tastic
if you dont have the talent no one will give you money! and then you have to pay for your own racing dont you NME.......
If you have talent then you attract money.
True! Why would someone shell out half a million on a driver if they didnt believe he or she had talent?
Old 23 Aug 2002, 20:06 (Ref:364673)   #17
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pitpopsie

True! Why would someone shell out half a million on a driver if they didnt believe he or she had talent?
No one would except maybe a rich Daddy.....
Old 23 Aug 2002, 21:17 (Ref:364716)   #18
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
but to be able to show the talent in the first place you have to be able to spend the money again and again and again. seems like everyone knows this anyway so its going to be repeated over and over but its true, I like the way Bella put it too, sounded more poetic then my twinges of moaning.

Matt
Old 23 Aug 2002, 23:45 (Ref:364793)   #19
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It takes money to get to the top, but it takes talent & dedication to stay there and win races.

Perfect example is Max Papis. He had major $$$ up to F1 and was completely useless. But, worked hard at it and actually became pretty good in Champcars. Now, he's 10 times better then when he drove the Arrows. Diniz would be a good example as well. Doing it with money alone won't get you past F3000. But, doing it with talent alone propably won't even get you in a FFord.....
Old 24 Aug 2002, 03:59 (Ref:364837)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A blind quadraplegic could buy a ride in F1 if he had enough money. But there are drivers out there who could be the next Senna or Gilles, and who will never even spend more than a few hours behind the wheel of a go-kart!

People who are already in the sport and at least have the finances to stay at the level they've reached, I find, really seem to have lost touch with just how much they're spending.

Nothing against them, but really, for most of us racing is never more than a dream. When you're working for 30 grand (US) a year, or the foreign equivalent (think basic level of paying utilities, living in a safe area, slowly paying off debt), there's just no damn way you can go racing without seriously jeopardizing your financial security... Which is _not_ something you can justify to your spouse, or even yourself, especially in such uncertain economic times.

So yes, money is by far the most important thing. If I had a dime for every middle-aged no-talent hack I see racing in a "pro" series around here... Well, I still couldn't buy a set of race tires. I _could_ buy a new TV, though.

Get my point?
Old 24 Aug 2002, 16:12 (Ref:365110)   #21
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
Quote:
Originally posted by rlinter

No one would except maybe a rich Daddy.....
Its those rich daddies which keep you in a job!!
Old 24 Aug 2002, 16:16 (Ref:365115)   #22
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
It would be nice if we had a mega economy and companies who would invest in young talented drivers but this is the real world unfortunatly in England drivers dont get the publicity, and companies dont see the benefit in investing in them.

"Rich daddies" are keeping motorsport alive in the uk at the moment.
Old 24 Aug 2002, 18:43 (Ref:365172)   #23
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rich "daddies" also help out other drivers too. Isn't Mr Graves financing Robbie Kerr as well as Tor?
Old 24 Aug 2002, 20:32 (Ref:365250)   #24
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bare in mind, teams operate like other business's and try and make a profit.

Paston Racing in the FRenaults ran Vincent Apple for awhile, ok he wasn't the best driver out there and the team could have got someone else in. The reason they didn't was simply money. Vincent (or more to the point his dad) had lots of money.

Talent is a big factor but financial security for the team is a bigger facter.
Old 25 Aug 2002, 18:54 (Ref:365672)   #25
steiff
Rookie

steiff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flange-tastic, Are you stating that your pure talent then????