Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 10 Aug 2000, 01:01 (Ref:29471)   #1
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that Larry McReynolds was planning on leaving Richard Childress Racing at the end of the season. They said that no plans with other teams had been revealed, but said that he might be joining one of the two new T.V. networks as an announcer. I'm sure alot more will come of this story in the next few days.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 15:02 (Ref:29589)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Larry is too good of a crew chief to sit on the side lines with a microphone in front of his face. If he becomes a TV announcer, I bet he winds up at another big operation grooming another young star potential driver in 2002.
Old 10 Aug 2000, 19:38 (Ref:29633)   #3
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Larry Mac was supposed to quit RCR and run his own team. At least that was the rumor last year. Supposedly, he had Goodyear sponsorship lined up. The project died at the time because Larry thought it would not be ready in time for this season. I wonder whatever happened to that.

The Speedvision article says that the network would be willing to pay him as much as the top crew chiefs were making, about $500,000.
Old 11 Aug 2000, 02:42 (Ref:29706)   #4
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Guys,
While I agree that Larry Mac is too good to sit on the side line, here might be something that is happening. With the increase in the schedule, it isn't the drivers that are getting burned out, its the crews. These are the guys that do not get the rest, are away from their families alot more, in short, they are getting burned out. Maybe Larry Mac is getting burned out. If he can make about as much doing broadcasting as he can being a crew chief, just think, same pay without all the headaches and hassles, sounds like a pretty good deal to me!
Old 11 Aug 2000, 16:39 (Ref:29822)   #5
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LarryMac was hoping to get the Tide sponsorship to start his team, but well, that didn't happen.

In any case, Jayksi is now reporting Mike Joy may get the nod for the play by play seat. A no-brainer considering that Joy covers Fox Sports Net's F1 coverage. Which begs the question, who takes over F1 for FSN. John Watson covered for him when Joy was doing the Firecracker 400, bu Watson has a regular job of covering the btcc, but given the future(or lack thereof...??) of that sries, would he take the F1 seat. ANyways, sorry for getting off topic about Nascar, but its just that Joy is one of the key dominoes that falls
Old 11 Aug 2000, 17:41 (Ref:29828)   #6
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heeltoe, I like John Watson and Derek Bell but not both together. They both are more commentators rather than play-by-play types. I like Mike Joy doing F1 races because he provides an angle as an American and one who understands NASCAR and CART (series that Americans are more familiar with), that neither John or Derek can provide.
Old 11 Aug 2000, 18:39 (Ref:29840)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From One-on-One Sports talk radio today, Larry McReynolds and Darrell Waltrip will be teaming up to do commentary for Fox next year. Now, Waltrip I can understand because he is an outgoing personality, but McReynolds is another matter. he is much more quiet and introspective, or at least during the interviews I have seen. He might just be biting his tongue in the name of good marketting, but he could be a bit of a dead fish. I do agree that his loss will be big for more than just the 31 car, it will be a loss to NASCAR. He is one of the best.
Old 12 Aug 2000, 02:28 (Ref:29925)   #8
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With DW yakking it up, LarryMac won't be able to get a ord in edgewise, even if he so desired

Seriously, though, he is pretty withdrawn, even he's the occassion pit reporter/analyst for TNN, usually just answers questions suggested by the play by play guy(k petty and evernham are also laid back like this) instead of making his won comments/observations(like a Parsons, N Jarret, or Baker do).